Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-24-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875
Default Super Bowl Team Rankings From ESPN

Ranking 80 different Super Bowl teams from the past years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...rankings/80-61
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Re: Super Bowl Team Rankings From ESPN

that was pretty cool

~Polamalufan43
Old 01-24-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,133 Times in 2,824 Posts

I do not believe I am being a homer in saying that 1975 Steelers team is ranked way too low at #13. The '78 team scored more but that '75 team was a lot stronger defensively - a gap of #3 to #13 between the 2 teams does not add up.

I would not be surprised by a fans poll with these rankings, but the rankings show a clear bias favoring 80s and 90s SB winners, with 3 49ers teams in the top 11 and the '86 Giants being a lower shelf version of the 75 Steelers that is ranked higher at #8.

And then there is this gem - The '70s Steelers have their own wing at Canton, but it's hard to argue that the early '90s Cowboys aren't the most talented team of all time Hard to argue??!!

But definitely a way to start a lot of debates.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 01-24-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Let's face it we know that all 5 Winning Super Bowl Steelers teams belong in the top 5 and the losing Super Bowl team belongs in the top 10!

If it ain't Black and Gold - who cares!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

I read that page earlier today - is anybody else disturbed that the Dallas team that lost to the Steelers in 78 is rated in the top 20? - that team is just like the Seahawks from last year -- oh yeah - if it wasn't for the bad call against Benny Barnes and Jackie Smith dropping the Td pass..blah, blah, blah - give me a break - what's a losing team doing in the top 20? and the Steelers from last year at 41? COME ON!!

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006

Last edited by sumo; 01-24-2007 at 03:36 PM.
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:52 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I read that page earlier today - is anybody else disturbed that the Dallas team that lost to the Steelers in 78 is rated in the top 20?
Not really, as it justifies my position that the Cowboys teams we had to beat were better than the teams the '80s 49ers had to beat to win the SB. What does bother me is the '85 Bears, which were a one-shot wonder, being ranked #2. That one I disagree with.

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-24-2007 at 03:57 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I read that page earlier today - is anybody else disturbed that the Dallas team that lost to the Steelers in 78 is rated in the top 20? - that team is just like the Seahawks from last year -- oh yeah - if it wasn't for the bad call against Benny Barnes and Jackie Smith dropping the Td pass..blah, blah, blah - give me a break - what's a losing team doing in the top 20? and the Steelers from last year at 41? COME ON!!
That '78 Cowboys team was loaded.

If the Cowboys would have won XIII they probably would be regarded as the team of the '70s - but, of course, they lost

That they are ranked that high indicates how talented the really top teams (Dolphins, Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers) were in the 70s and how impressive winning 4 SBs in that era is.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I do not believe I am being a homer in saying that 1975 Steelers team is ranked way too low at #13. The '78 team scored more but that '75 team was a lot stronger defensively - a gap of #3 to #13 between the 2 teams does not add up.

I would not be surprised by a fans poll with these rankings, but the rankings show a clear bias favoring 80s and 90s SB winners, with 3 49ers teams in the top 11 and the '86 Giants being a lower shelf version of the 75 Steelers that is ranked higher at #8.

And then there is this gem - The '70s Steelers have their own wing at Canton, but it's hard to argue that the early '90s Cowboys aren't the most talented team of all time Hard to argue??!!

But definitely a way to start a lot of debates.
Yeah I have to agree with you on that one. The 1975 team was a powerhouse and should have made at least the top ten in my book as well.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

In addition to ranking the 80 SB participants, ESPN has a sidebar list of the top 10 teams not to make the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ings/leftovers

The 2004 Steelers are on the list but the 1976 Steelers are not. Given that the 70s Steelers pretty much unanimously say (as did Art Rooney Sr.) the '76 edition of the Steelers was the best team they ever had, that omission confirms my view these rankings are an entertaining read but in contradiction of some pretty compelling contrary opinions.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
In addition to ranking the 80 SB participants, ESPN has a sidebar list of the top 10 teams not to make the Super Bowl.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...ings/leftovers

The 2004 Steelers are on the list but the 1976 Steelers are not. Given that the 70s Steelers pretty much unanimously say (as did Art Rooney Sr.) the '76 edition of the Steelers was the best team they ever had, that omission confirms my view these rankings are an entertaining read but in contradiction of some pretty compelling contrary opinions.
Agreed, Dan. One must keep in mind that that list is just that, opinion. My personal opinion is that the Steel Curtain would have chewed up and spit out the West Coast Offense of the '80s 49ers. Lambert and Ham would have feasted on those nice little dink-n-dunk passes Montana made a career out of throwing, assuming L.C. wouldn't have wound up swatting them out of the air. But again, this is just opinion.

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-24-2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Typo
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote