Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-24-2007, 09:13 PM   #21
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Super Bowl Team Rankings From ESPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanjoecoop View Post
Considering that one Bungal fan has been quoted elsewhere saying that even though they lost the 88' team "was in their glory"...I'd say it's hillarious.
I kinda miss the "Ickey Shuffle."
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #22
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I kinda miss the "Ickey Shuffle."
That guy is a perfect example of how quicly the NFL can giveth and taketh away. He went from being one of the most recognized players in the game that year to falling off the face of the Earth. VH1 could do a good After the Music special on him....
Old 01-24-2007, 09:55 PM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,119 Times in 2,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post
That guy is a perfect example of how quicly the NFL can giveth and taketh away. He went from being one of the most recognized players in the game that year to falling off the face of the Earth. VH1 could do a good After the Music special on him....

Wasn't there some pregame show nonsense before the Steelers-Bengals playoff game where Ickey had some sort of Ickey brand concession he was selling at Paul Brown Stadium?

I guess Ickey was from around the last generation of players before free agency where you still might end up parking cars somewhere if you did not manage your money and were out of the league several years later (e.g. - I recall reading that Glen "Knotty Pine" Edwards, starting safety on the first 2 SB winners, ended up working -not supervising -construction and Ernie Holmes was a buildling security guard somewhere in California). Not everyone gets to spend Sundays with JB and Terry doing the pregame show after they retire from the league.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:20 PM   #24
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

1. '89 49ers
2. '85 Bears vs. Patriots
3. '78 Steelers*
4. '92 Cowboys
5. '84 49ers
6. '96 Packers vs. Patriots
7. '72 Dolphins*
8. '86 Giants
9. '04 Patriots
10. '91 Redskins

*Nullified due to performance enhancing drugs.

So, two of the teams that were good enough to be in the top 6 were opponents of the Patriots. Meaning, that when the Patriots lost in a Super Bowl it was only to the most elite teams. The Patriots also are ranked in the top ten at #9, while the #3 ranked Steeler team is eliminated due to Steroid abuse.

So, contrary to what Steeler fans would have you believe, the Steelers have nothing to crow about when talking SB appearances.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:33 PM   #25
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork View Post
1. '89 49ers
3. '78 Steelers*
4. '92 Cowboys
5. '84 49ers
7. '72 Dolphins*
8. '86 Giants
9. '04 Patriots
10. '91 Redskins

So, two of the teams that were good enough to be in the top 6 were opponents of the Patriots. Meaning, that when the Patriots lost in a Super Bowl it was only to the most elite teams. The Patriots also are ranked in the top ten at #9, while the #3 ranked Steeler team is eliminated due to Steroid abuse.

So, contrary to what Steeler fans would have you believe, the Steelers have nothing to crow about when talking SB appearances.
BALCO Brady. Todd Sauerbrun. 'Nuff said.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 PM   #26
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
1. '89 49ers
3. '78 Steelers*
4. '92 Cowboys
5. '84 49ers
7. '72 Dolphins*
8. '86 Giants
9. '04 Patriots
10. '91 Redskins

Old 01-25-2007, 12:21 AM   #27
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,849 Times in 2,102 Posts

Quote:

big drew bledsoe fan, are you?

steelers faced real oponents.

the packers and bears faced doormats. those patriots were the 94 chargers and the 00 giants of SB lore. everyone without their head up their ass knows the 4 steelers sb teams were the top 4. (76 steelers coming in at #5).

you should know this. even you were a huge steelerfan while the patriots were nobodies of the league during the 70's.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #28
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

I don't care what anyone says or what views they have that 94 49ers team was one of the best I've ever seen. I will never say that we would'nt have beat them, but it would have taken our best game!
Old 01-25-2007, 01:32 AM   #29
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
I don't care what anyone says or what views they have that 94 49ers team was one of the best I've ever seen. I will never say that we would'nt have beat them, but it would have taken our best game!
I agree - IMO, Steve Young had the best year ever ('94) for a Qb in the history of the league and Jerry Rice had close to his best ever, Ricky Watters, Deon Sanders was on that team - all at their best ...that was one badass group!..

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006

Last edited by sumo; 01-25-2007 at 01:43 AM.
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #30
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,119 Times in 2,393 Posts

In his sports media column today, Smizik reports the top 10 SB teams on the NFL Network "America's Game" series are (final rankings not yet disclosed) as follows:

The 1975 and 1978 Steelers were among the 10 best Super Bowl champions as selected by a 53-person panel of experts assembled by the NFL Network. San Francisco (1984 and 1989) was the only other franchise to place two teams on the list. The other six: New England, 2004; Dallas, 1992; Chicago, 1985; Oakland, 1976; Miami, 1972; Green Bay, 1966. A countdown from 10 to one will begin Saturday on the NFL Network. The No. 1 team will be profiled Feb. 3

This top 10 gives a lot more weight to SB champs from the first 15 years of the game and IMHO reflects the broader cross-section of opinion the NFL pulled together than was used in the ESPN rankings.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote