Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
CaliforniaChris
Water Boy

Member Number: 3017
Post Rooneys priority cheapest in everything

It should be no surprise the Rooneys were going to hire whichever candidate agreed to be cheapest. It's no knock on Mike Tomlin, the Rooneys do have a history of making cheapness the priority in everything they do regarding the Steelers.

All the way back before player salary limits, the Rooneys were the cheapest. After that, this was the only brass who kept Kordell & Mike Tomzack for years because they were cheapest. And I remember the Rooney family had 30 years of sellouts at Three Rivers stadium, yet pocketed the money instead of making any needed improvements to that former stadium's parking etc. Lastly the Rooneys refused to pay market value for Cowher. Cowher is indicated to have wanted market value, which would be Mike Holgram's $8 mil salary, & the Rooneys refused to pay market value. Based on the Rooney's history of cheapness being a priority in every way, is there any wonder the Rooneys might have agreed to now choose whichever candidate agreed to the cheapest salary?

It should be noted Mike Tomlin's price to the Rooneys is only $2.5 million per year. Cowher was reportedly being paid $4 mil. Reports are the Rooneys might have agreed to bump Cowher's pay to around $6.5 mil -still less than Holgram's $8 mil. But the Rooneys even found a way to even pocket some money from a head coach's salary! Because although they'll have to pay this last year of Bill's contract, for then the duration of Tomlin's contract the Rooneys only pay $2.5 mil per year instead of Cowher's current salary.
CaliforniaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Rooneys priority cheapest in everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaChris View Post
Cowher is indicated to have wanted market value, which would be Mike Holgram's $8 mil salary, & the Rooneys refused to pay market value.
And Paul Allen is one of the top 10 richest men in the world with money to burn, while Dan Rooney is not.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I disagree that the rooneys are cheap. I think they are buisnessmen that make the best buisness decisions. You bring up three rivers, funny how we have a brand new state of the art stadium now. I think in the 90's we lost some great players because we were lacking some revenue.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I think in the 90's we lost some great players because we were lacking some revenue.
Agreed - the early years of Plan B and the salary cap were quite painful for us.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

the margins with some NFL teams (not the NFL org. itself) are thinner than most people think - a few teams in the last 20 years have actually come close to bankruptcy (Modell) - I personally think the league should be diverting more money to taking care of guys that sacrificed their health and quality of life in order to play football instead of always looking for ways to increase revenue in order to increase salaries for existing players/coaches...

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
CaliforniaChris
Water Boy

Member Number: 3017

Big D mentioned we have a new stadium but didnt mention the fact that taxpayers paid for most of it. Taxpayers get talked into paying for much of new stadiums everywhere. In the case of the Steelers new stadium, taxpayers paid for most of it: Allegheny County taxpayers paid approx $160 mil of the $280 mil for Heinz Field (per Pgh TribuneReview). I won't expect other owners of NFL teams to get away with paying only that dollar amount for a new NFL stadium to be built. And other owners didnt have the luxury of 30 years of sellouts to sock away cash instead of paying for significant improvements.
CaliforniaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaChris View Post
Big D mentioned we have a new stadium but didnt mention the fact that taxpayers paid for most of it. Taxpayers get talked into paying for much of new stadiums everywhere. In the case of the Steelers new stadium, taxpayers paid for most of it: Allegheny County taxpayers paid approx $160 mil of the $280 mil for Heinz Field (per Pgh TribuneReview). I won't expect other owners of NFL teams to get away with paying only that dollar amount for a new NFL stadium to be built. And other owners didnt have the luxury of 30 years of sellouts to sock away cash instead of paying for significant improvements.
yeah but what about all the stadium maintence they had to invest in. The rooneys still had to front 120 million for the stadium. There is alot that goes into being an nfl owner. If you want to see a cheap owner look at the cardinals,bills and bengals
Old 01-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
It should be noted Mike Tomlin's price to the Rooneys is only $2.5 million per year.
Considering that he is a first-year HC, I think that's a very fair price and obviously Tomlin agreed.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Considering that he is a first-year HC, I think that's a very fair price and obviously Tomlin agreed.
I couldnt agree with you more. 2.5 million dollars for a 34 year old head coach. I would say thats fair. I'm sure if tomlin is succesfull he will get a raise in two years.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,914 Times in 2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I couldnt agree with you more. 2.5 million dollars for a 34 year old head coach. I would say thats fair. I'm sure if tomlin is succesfull he will get a raise in two years.
that was a very fair price and it almost blew my mind it was above 2 mil. lovie smith has been on a 1.35 mil. deal and mike tice was a little below that. of course 4 years from now, if tomlin is successful, the rooneys will have him locked in at 2.5 when new coaches are regularly making about double that.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote