Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 PM   #21
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759
Default Re: Rooneys priority cheapest in everything

i would rather have an owner like the steelers than 90% of the other owners out there. he's frugal, but not cheap. the steelers just gave out a ton of contracts over the last couple years. mr. rooney promised that when the new stadium opened he would shell out the cash...and he has.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 PM   #22
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post
i would rather have an owner like the steelers than 90% of the other owners out there. he's frugal, but not cheap. the steelers just gave out a ton of contracts over the last couple years. mr. rooney promised that when the new stadium opened he would shell out the cash...and he has.
Yep, we have nowhere near the player attrition rate we had 10-12 years ago. Great point.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:36 PM   #23
rags1336
Water Boy

Member Number: 4675

The Rooneys are businessmen. Businesmen are in business to make a profit. You may call them cheap now but what would you call them if they lavishly overspent their money had to declare bankrupcy and be forced to sell the team to somone from LA and the team moves? They Rooneys are thrifty for a reason.
rags1336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #24
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Considering that he is a first-year HC, I think that's a very fair price and obviously Tomlin agreed.

Exactly HTG. It is a business. And if they are so cheap, I hope it continues, cause obviously it is working.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:57 PM   #25
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaChris View Post
It should be no surprise the Rooneys were going to hire whichever candidate agreed to be cheapest. It's no knock on Mike Tomlin, the Rooneys do have a history of making cheapness the priority in everything they do regarding the Steelers.

All the way back before player salary limits, the Rooneys were the cheapest. After that, this was the only brass who kept Kordell & Mike Tomzack for years because they were cheapest. And I remember the Rooney family had 30 years of sellouts at Three Rivers stadium, yet pocketed the money instead of making any needed improvements to that former stadium's parking etc. Lastly the Rooneys refused to pay market value for Cowher. Cowher is indicated to have wanted market value, which would be Mike Holgram's $8 mil salary, & the Rooneys refused to pay market value. Based on the Rooney's history of cheapness being a priority in every way, is there any wonder the Rooneys might have agreed to now choose whichever candidate agreed to the cheapest salary?

It should be noted Mike Tomlin's price to the Rooneys is only $2.5 million per year. Cowher was reportedly being paid $4 mil. Reports are the Rooneys might have agreed to bump Cowher's pay to around $6.5 mil -still less than Holgram's $8 mil. But the Rooneys even found a way to even pocket some money from a head coach's salary! Because although they'll have to pay this last year of Bill's contract, for then the duration of Tomlin's contract the Rooneys only pay $2.5 mil per year instead of Cowher's current salary.

Would you rather have Danny Snyder? Not me, he spends alot every year and wastes his money.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:08 AM   #26
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
that was a very fair price and it almost blew my mind it was above 2 mil. lovie smith has been on a 1.35 mil. deal and mike tice was a little below that. of course 4 years from now, if tomlin is successful, the rooneys will have him locked in at 2.5 when new coaches are regularly making about double that.
Mike Tice's first two years he only made 400k a year - why do you think the dude was selling his SB tickets on ebay every year?

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:16 AM   #27
SansWetware
Water Boy

Member Number: 4667

I do not believe money was an issue. If they truly believed Grimm was the guy for the job, they would not have let his asking for, say... 3 million (as an example) over Tomlin's 2.5 million stand in their way. Remember that while they intend to be frugal and wise in their spending they ultimately have to put the franchise first in all they do. Without a good team the general fanbase loses interest. The team then goes broke.

This team is more entangled with it's city than any other (perhaps Green Bay could claim to be it's equal in this regard). It is the pride of the town. I have never had the fortune to live there, but I have many friends who have. Their eyes widen with esteem when their beloved franchise is mentioned. The Rooney's would not be quite so calculating and sinister about things. Hard-nosed businessmen yes - but not like some nay-sayers proclaim.

The poster above me's sig quote says it all. Why have we ALWAYS been a crude, smash-mouth, hard-nosed team that wears it's opponent out and grinds them down into a pulp? Because that's is what it's fans can identify with. They can IDENTIFY with the Rooney's frugality, but never could they identify with them simply being "cheap jerks."

I really enjoy reading these threads and occasionally posting but I think "Rooney's priority cheapest in everything" is a tad bit inflammatory.
SansWetware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:03 AM   #28
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaChris View Post
Big D mentioned we have a new stadium but didnt mention the fact that taxpayers paid for most of it. Taxpayers get talked into paying for much of new stadiums everywhere. In the case of the Steelers new stadium, taxpayers paid for most of it: Allegheny County taxpayers paid approx $160 mil of the $280 mil for Heinz Field (per Pgh TribuneReview). I won't expect other owners of NFL teams to get away with paying only that dollar amount for a new NFL stadium to be built. And other owners didnt have the luxury of 30 years of sellouts to sock away cash instead of paying for significant improvements.
Although the monetary gains from 30 years of sellouts would seem like a fortune to you and I, it amounts to peanuts in NFL dollars.

You show me an NFL Franchise that's forced to succeed on ticket revenues and I'll show you an NFL Franchise that's loaded on a Mayflower truck and headed to another city.

The new stadium was a necessity. The Steelers organization needed the luxury box proceeds that most NFL teams benefit from. These proceeds are used to pay the enormous signing bonuses.

As for the taxpayers shelling out 160 million dollars, I'll just say that the entire region is raking in tons of money from the Pittsburgh Steelers and their activities.

Last edited by Steel Pit; 01-25-2007 at 05:24 AM.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #29
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Would you rather have Danny Snyder? Not me, he spends alot every year and wastes his money.
Agree 100%. Over paying for the hot to trot free agents dont always work out...Snyder goes for broke ever year on the player of the week guys who are available. The Rooneys spend wisely...thats prob. why the Rooney's are so respected all over the league while most people thing Snyder is a joke...
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:45 AM   #30
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Why are we stuck on the Cowher's contract and the Rooney's paying him or any coach? This should no longer be an issue for us as fans. The Steelers and Cowher both had negotiations. It didn't work out, for whatever reason. Are we as fans truly that obsessed with the Rooney's and how they pay the coach? Shouldn't we be more worried about the players they draft and keep on the team? The Rooney's are keeping the key players and that's important...as for the coach, I don't care who it is, I'll support him and the team!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote