Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #21
SteelersNation7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 466
Default Re: Is Cowher still the man for the job...

OK what's your excuss for Cowher's team losing the Championship game against the LESS talented Chargers AT HOME???? There is NONE!
His in ability to adapt game plans when needed (in the big game) is the reason why the Steelers loose.
SteelersNation7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 03:17 PM   #22
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Bottom line is Players win Games. You can`t hang Cowher. Like I said there are many teams who would die to have as many good seasons as Cowher coached teams have had. Going into last season who would have thought Cowher would lead his team from 6-10. To a 15-1 record?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:08 PM   #23
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,933 Times in 1,059 Posts

I love Cowher's piss and vineger approach to coaching. Something that was decidedly missing from the AFC Championship game last year for some reason. Still, while the second best coach we've had here, hasn't had quite the talent that Emperor Noll had. So, for all you guys that want to run him out of town on a rail, cut him a break.

One or two players can make a genuis out of you. Look what Rice and Montana did for Bill Walsh, or Elway did for Shanahan, or, Aikman & Emitt Smith did for Johnson and Switzer (OK, nobody said Switzer was a genius, but I think you get my point).
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 09:50 PM   #24
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Yes, cause he keeps changing his ability to reach his philosophy of run the ball and play defense. Since 92 he has taken us to 5 AFC championship games and 1 SB. Plenty of coaches would love that. During that time he has also had 5 different QB's and 5 different RB's, plus plenty of coaching changes. You mix up your team every other year and see how well you do...
Old 08-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #25
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
Yes, cause he keeps changing his ability to reach his philosophy of run the ball and play defense. Since 92 he has taken us to 5 AFC championship games and 1 SB. Plenty of coaches would love that. During that time he has also had 5 different QB's and 5 different RB's, plus plenty of coaching changes. You mix up your team every other year and see how well you do...
Great points ICC, no team has lost more coordinators than him. His knack for choosing the right coordinators to put us back on top year after year is worth every cent we pay him.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #26
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
The longest active tenured head coach w/ the same team in the league. Division titles, AFC champion, play off wins, coaching countless pro bowlers and assistant coaches who left to become corridnators or HC's themselves.

Is he still your guy for the Steelers, or is new blook in order when he contract is up?
I just don't where this topic comes from. When I look around the league at all of the coaches, with AFC and NFC, I feel fortunate as hell that we have Cowher. That probably shouldn't come as a big surprise considering my screen name. Speaking objectively, I think his spirit and ability to create the atmosphere to win year in and year out and his loyalty to the organization and the fans and the intestinal fortitude to keep this program rolling into winning seasons says enough for me. I hope he's here until the end of his coaching career. As long as he's spitting on people on the sidelines I want him to be wearing our colors!
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #27
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

CowherLover, you couldn't be more right

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:36 PM   #28
SteelersNation7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 466

I dont dislike him but he sure made some great calls in the championship game last year against the Pats...running on 1st and 2nd downs...putting a rookie QB in third and long situations...against the best NFL team in a decade....Brilliant moves...
SteelersNation7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:03 AM   #29
24seven
Starter

Member Number: 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersNation7
I dont dislike him but he sure made some great calls in the championship game last year against the Pats...running on 1st and 2nd downs...putting a rookie QB in third and long situations...against the best NFL team in a decade....Brilliant moves...
Why not?? Ben did perfectly fine the first time they played with basically the same game plan. The reason I believe we choke in the playoffs is due to the players and the players only.. Any given play can go 2 ways.. backwards or forwards. It was obvious from the get go that Ben had the playoff jitters even in the Jets game.. He just wasn't throwing like he had in previous games. Same goes for the backs.. and the O line.. No one was doing there job like they HAD been doing and to tell you the truth, i think N.E. just wanted it more.. There was no fire coming from the Steelers and no amount of spit flyin is gonna change that.. Even in the Kordell era, or Maddox, or O'neil, alot of the times the QB would just fail at getting the ball to the guys and down the tubes we went.. Cower has gotten us to the playoffs damn near every year he's been here so I know his leadership is above and beyond what the rest of the NFL teams have had to go with. I for one would sign him to a lifetime contract for as long as he wants. I have friends that aren't even Steelers fans but LOVE Cower and his intensity. They would LOVE to have a coach with his fire and determination.. We'd be smart to never let that go.. In the end... Every play can result in a touchdown if executed correctly so previous failures can only be the result of 11 things... the players on the field.....
24seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #30
BigBen2WardPITT
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 551

this thread should b a joke. He is the longest tenured coach because he MAKES THE PLAYOFFS. He gets it done. WE cannot fire a coach who gets us to the playoffs a whole lot (dont have any exact amazing playoff stats). other then us being like 29 and 10 sense the steelers entered the league way back.

A few years aho, Cowher needed to be fired. When we needed a QB, he waited, waited, waited, waited, waited, waited. Until FINALLY he got BigBen. We have gotten so LUCKY with MAddox, and then BigBen coming is so quicly and playing well. But during the Stewart days, i was so angry. We could have gotten pennington, but then again cowher made a good move there because taht kid is mediocre and injury prone. Then with RBs we picked up Staley which i thought was an ok move. However, he is injury prone and he is only OK in my opinion. I wanted an EXPLOSIVE RB. I am hoping that in the 06 draft we use our first pick to get a RB, but from past history, that would be crazy. Then in the second round, WR. Then in third, CB. Then in 4th, oline.

THERE U GO. I dont think Cowher fills his holes on the team very well, even though thats not all him, but u cant get rid of him, he gets us to the playoffs almost every year!

But then there is the other argument, that our division hasnt had any real competition. Which is partly true. The Browns for the most part have sucked, the Bengals FOR THE MOST PART jave sucked, and the Ravens are on and off. This year the Ravens and Bengals and Browns are all coming up now. So the next few years will be a real test. And i hope Rooney notices that he needs to make some moves to make our team better.

I feel like we can always get to the playoffs, even the AFC Championship, however, i wish we could take the next step, and i felt this year was are chance more then ever! With the pats losing alot of guys, we have a chance! If we can beat the Colts, we are superbowl contenders in my mind! However we didn't go out and get anything. But its hard to complain when the team makes the playoffs all the time.
BigBen2WardPITT is offline   Reply With Quote