Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
aburdell
Water Boy

Member Number: 2310
Default Will Arians make a difference?

I dont really know that much about the guy except that he was an old browns coordinator right. I looked it up and his offensive stats didnt look to great but then again he was dealing with the browns who havent had an offense since jim brown. I hope he makes some kind of changes to our scheme cuz i think we stuck with the old run, run, pass scheme too long in some games. I know we are a running team, but when willie is facing 9 in the box like vs the ravens and jags can we just throw one deep on 1st down the try loosen things up? Let me know how you all feel about this
aburdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,849 Times in 2,102 Posts
Default Re: Will Arians make a difference?

just like whiz and mularkey before him, he was promoted from with in. too me, this is good. i dont know if he has declared a commitment to the power run game, but with big ben and a new head coach, im not sure that is what the rooneys are looking for. im sure if tomlin wants to get pass happy then the rooneys will let him do what he was hired to do.

i keep saying that the last time arians was a coordinator, he helped the browns to their last playoff appearance and kelly holcomb unleashed an arial aasault on the steelers.

im not too woried about him.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Yea Kelly Holcomb had over 400 yards in that play-off game. One of the best NFL games I have seen. A great comeback for the Tommy Maddox led Steelers. As for Ariens I would imagine he would lean to running the ball more then passing. Even Tomlin seems to believe in running the football. I just want the Steelers offense to be balanced. They have the talent to be an explosive offense but I don't want the Steelers to turn into the 99 Rams. But if Ben can lower the INT's I will have no problems with a 50/50 pass/run ratio.

I think Big Ben is the key this year and how he rebounds from his worst season so far. Just as long as Ben avoids the health issues I'm expecting Big Ben to bounce back strong even with Ken Anderson as his QB's coach.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i keep saying that the last time arians was a coordinator, he helped the browns to their last playoff appearance and kelly holcomb unleashed an arial aasault on the steelers.
Point taken, Tony, however, I think the great game that Holcomb had that day was due primarily to a lack of talent in the secondary on our part coupled with Tim Lewis' bend-AND-break defensive scheme. In short, our D sucked at the time. What has Holcomb done since?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Point taken, Tony, however, I think the great game that Holcomb had that day was due primarily to a lack of talent in the secondary on our part coupled with Tim Lewis' bend-AND-break defensive scheme. In short, our D sucked at the time. What has Holcomb done since?
Good points. God I couldn't stand Tim Lewis and his gutless defensive scheme.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Good points. God I couldn't stand Tim Lewis and his gutless defensive scheme.
Thanks. Me neither.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:19 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
not to defend t. lewis (he got fired after the following year) but the previous year the steelers did have the #1 defense and the top seed in the playoffs. scott and washington had just gotten huge deals.

the browns didnt have great receivers but 1-4 had a very solid group. it was arians who put in the gameplan that allowed sorry assed k. holcomb to almost succeed. and again, it was his offensive schemes that helped the tim couch (and later holcomb) led browns, to even reach the playoffs. i cant even remember who their running back(s) were in 2002.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Wasn't William Green their 2002 first round bust? I know they had a James Jackson and Jamel White also at RB. Not great RB's at all. Actually pretty shitty.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Wasn't William Green their 2002 first round bust? I know they had a James Jackson and Jamel White also at RB. Not great RB's at all. Actually pretty shitty.
yeah, i dont think green had too much playing time. i think they did make the playoffs using that 3 headed "monster" as a running back by commitee.

he has some weapons with the steelers he never had as a coordinator with the browns. willie, ben, hines, holmes, miller (he has been with the steelers longer than any of them but hines and he has proven to be a pretty good position coach for hines). of course whiz and mularkey realized the importance of a TE in the blocking and run game (they both played the position). im hoping a WR coach utilizes heathe millers talents in the passing game.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im hoping a WR coach utilizes heath millers talents in the passing game.
AMEN! So far, Heath has been grossly underutilized in the passing game.