Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default USA Today's All-Time Super Bowl Team

Agree with most of the picks, by and large, but a few left me scratching my head. Gene Upshaw made it at guard, but Art Shell is left off at tackle? The Steelers are very well-represented, though.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...owl-team_x.htm

(Sorry, article was too long to fit in this post)
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,831 Posts
Default Re: USA Today's All-Time Super Bowl Team

Steelers certainly are well represented, but, as usual, Noll gets overlooked, with the nod going to Walsh as all time Super Bowl HC, based on this logic:

He went three-for-three in Super Bowl trips probably would have won a fourth had he not walked away after the 1988 season. George Seifert won the Super Bowl the following year with Walsh's team.

As opposed to going three-for three and then actually, as opposed to probably, winning your fourth to go four-for-four? I guess those teams coached themselves and Noll just showed up post-game for the presentation of the Lombardi Trophy.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Steelers certainly are well represented, but, as usual, Noll gets overlooked, with the nod going to Walsh as all time Super Bowl HC, based on this logic:

He went three-for-three in Super Bowl trips probably would have won a fourth had he not walked away after the 1988 season. George Seifert won the Super Bowl the following year with Walsh's team.

As opposed to going three-for three and then actually, as opposed to probably, winning your fourth to go four-for-four? I guess those teams coached themselves and Noll just showed up post-game for the presentation of the Lombardi Trophy.
Like I said, I agreed with MOST of the picks - this is one of the ones I didn't. Noll was overlooked his entire coaching career - he never won NFL Coach of the Year while he was here, either.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,831 Posts

Understand completely - these lists are subjective and Walsh is a very defensible choice. Like the rankings of SB teams, these rankings are great jumping off points for debate and nobody is going to have identical lists.

Only completely off the wall observation I noted in the article , unless it was intended to be humorous, was this explanation of choosing Steve Young (a very good choice) as one of the backup QBs:

A tough choice over Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw and Earl Morrall.

Earl Morrall???!!! Jets 16-Colts 7
NM
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

But none of the Steelers count because they all do steroids - sorry I gotta get this out of the way so maybe hardwork will just bypass this thread - nothing to see hear mr hardwork - steroids has already been brought up - please move along...

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Understand completely - these lists are subjective and Walsh is a very defensible choice. Like the rankings of SB teams, these rankings are great jumping off points for debate and nobody is going to have identical lists.

Only completely off the wall observation I noted in the article , unless it was intended to be humorous, was this explanation of choosing Steve Young (a very good choice) as one of the backup QBs:

A tough choice over Joe Namath, Terry Bradshaw and Earl Morrall.

Earl Morrall???!!! Jets 16-Colts 7
NM
Didn't Morrall also play most of SB V for the Colts, after Unitas went out with an injury?
Old 01-25-2007, 09:43 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
But none of the Steelers count because they all do steroids - sorry I gotta get this out of the way so maybe hardwork will just bypass this thread - nothing to see hear mr hardwork - steroids has already been brought up - please move along...
I've already addressed him at length on that issue on the other thread he hijacked. He brings it up here, he'll be ignored - by me at least.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I've already addressed him at length on that issue on the other thread he hijacked. He brings it up here, he'll be ignored - by me at least.
Ok - the USA article is a little hard to follow - did you see what they said about the Qb position? - they couldn't see Bradshaw and Namath playing back-up, so they put Young at no. 2 because he was used to backing up Montana anyway? - hello? at the LB position they could name 4 starters for four lb positions like they do in probowls but instead they name 1 out side and 1 middle? the rest are reserves? - oh well - still interesting and the Steelers are well represented overall - I like that they listed Stallworth ahead of Swann - I have always thought that Stallworth took a backseat to Swann even though he averaged 24.5 yards a catch and had some huge TDs ...

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I like that they listed Stallworth ahead of Swann - I have always thought that Stallworth took a backseat to Swann even though he averaged 24.5 yards a catch and had some huge TDs ...
IMHO, Stallworth, not Bradshaw, was the real MVP of SB XIV, and I've heard Bradshaw say this himself as well.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:06 PM   #10
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Pardon me for a second here but that is un=F***ing believable. Noll is the only coach with 4 rings and he doesn't get the HC position? I know half the NFL plays the freaking "West Coast" offense BS, but come on!

*grumbles*