Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-26-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default New Special Teams Coach Hired.......

...just found this is my e-mail google alerts........anybody know anything about this guy??

Ligashesky hired by Steelers

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
Friday, Jan. 26 2007

Bob Ligashesky didn't stay unemployed for long.

Just one day after head coach Scott Linehan confirmed that Ligashesky would not
return to the Rams for the 2007 season, Ligashesky was hired as special teams
coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Ligashesky, 44, is a Pittsburgh native who played football at Indiana (Pa.)
University and coached at the University of Pittsburgh from 2000-03.

He replaces Kevin Spencer, who was hired as special teams coach by new Arizona
Cardinals coach and former Steelers assistant Ken Whisenhunt.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: New Special Teams Coach Hired.......

I just know the Rams special teams sucked ass. So did the Steelers this year. But I will wait to judge the new coach until I see how the Steelers special teams play this year.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

More on Ligashesky:

itle Special Teams
NFL Exp 3 years
With Rams 2 years

Coaching Highlights:
Ligashesky will enter his second season as the Rams’ special teams coach in 2006. Under Ligashesky, the Rams’ special teams unit in 2005 saw its first kickoff return for a touchdown since 2000, as Chris Johnson returned the opening kickoff 99 yards for the score on Oct. 9 against Seattle. 2005 also marked the third time since the Rams moved to St. Louis that the club had at least two blocked kicks in a season, as Drew Wahlroos blocked a punt vs. Jacksonville on Oct. 30 and Tyoka Jackson blocked a field goal vs. New Orleans on Oct. 23. Ligashesky’s unit also saw the Rams force and recover fumbles on special teams for the first time since 2000.
Ligashesky (pronounced lig-a-SHES-kee) joined the Rams in 2005 after serving as the assistant special teams coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2004, his first season in the NFL. Ligashesky helped the Jaguars’ special teams unit finish the 2004 season ranked sixth in the AFC (10th in the NFL) in punt return average with 9.6 yards per return, and third in the AFC (sixth in the NFL) in kickoff return average defense, allowing only 19.9 yards per opponent return. Jacksonville was also seventh in the AFC (10th in the NFL) in gross punting average with 42.8 yards per return, and sixth in the AFC (10th in the NFL) in net punting average allowed.
Ligashesky has 20 years of coaching experience, 19 collegiately coaching tight ends, linebackers, and special teams. He served as the tight ends coach and special teams coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh from 2000-03, after spending the previous nine seasons (1991-99) at Bowling Green, coaching linebackers and special teams. Ligashesky was promoted to assistant head coach prior to the 1999 season with the Falcons.
Prior to Bowling Green, he coached outside linebackers and worked with the special teams units at Kent State for two years (1989-90), and was a graduate assistant at Arizona State from 1986-88, working with the outside linebackers and defensive line. Ligashesky began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Wake Forest in 1985. Ligashesky played defensive back at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and graduated from IUP in 1985 with a degree in exercise science. A native of Pittsburgh, PA, he is married to Shelley and resides in St. Louis, MO.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #4
t-sizzlez
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3713

never heard of him..buy anyone must be an upgrade....right?
t-sizzlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

Ligashesky was promoted to assistant head coach prior to the 1999 season with the Falcons.

Wow, I gotta say he must be a good coach to hold that title. How many special teams coaches can claim that?

As far as the Rams go, that team didn't even have starting defensive players who could tackle let alone special teams guys that can run and tackle.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,366 Times in 4,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-sizzlez View Post
never heard of him..buy anyone must be an upgrade....right?
it depends. getting rid of spencer could be a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. it depends if you blame spenser for the special tams shortcomings or cowher. the consensus during the season was that it was all cowhers fault. getting rid of cowher shouldve solved the problem then.

spencer was a ST coach of the year. had an 15-1 season, and then ST coach of a sb winner. i doubt this new guy is any better.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

It seems that he improved the special teams pretty well. Kinda sad when that type of an improvement still makes it just a little above average. But then again, if we had just average this year, we probably would have been in the playoffs.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
Rodneysb
Water Boy

Member Number: 2556

Yes, Rams special teams have long been tittled by the Ram's own fans as worst in the NFL. Mr. Ligashesky was brought in to fix that. A close friend of mine keeps me updated on his Rams, thats the only reason I even had a clue about this guy.

That leaves us two more slots to fill in the coaching ranks, secondary & backs.

Last edited by Rodneysb; 01-27-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Rodneysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #9
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneysb View Post

That leaves us two more slots to fill in the coaching ranks, secondary & backs.
Looks like the Secondary slot has been filled Ray Horton promoted to secondary coach - one down one to go.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07027/757287-66.stm

Tomlin promotes assistant, adds another

Saturday, January 27, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin continues to work on filling out his new staff with the Steelers, promoting Ray Horton to secondary coach and hiring a special teams coach.

Horton, according to a Steelers source, will coach the secondary by himself. He was the assistant secondary coach the past three seasons to Darren Perry, who resigned his position after Tomlin was named to succeed Bill Cowher.

Pittsburgh native Bob Ligashesky, 44, will become the Steelers' new special teams coach, according to a report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Ligashesky, a 1985 IUP graduate, was the Rams' special teams coach the past two seasons. He also was Pitt's tight ends coach and special teams coordinator from 2000-03. He played linebacker at IUP.

Ligashesky coached at Kent State, Bowling Green and one year as assistant special teams coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2004. He was a graduate assistant coach at Wake Forest and Arizona State.

According to a Steelers source, the team will hire an assistant special teams coach as well. Kevin Spencer, who coached the Steelers special teams from 2002 through last season, was permitted to join Ken Whisenhunt's new staff with the Arizona Cardinals.

Horton, 46, coached with the Redskins, Bengals and Lions in the NFL before joining the Steelers in 2004. He played cornerback for the Bengals from 1983-88 and finished his career with the Dallas Cowboys from 1989-92.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Hmm.. Not sure on this guy.. Have to see what he does with our guys then make judgement.. We have a higher caliber of talent on our defensive team then the Rams do, better tacklers, and it would help if we do change kickers.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote