Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-26-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342
Default Rewarding Season

This was a season I won't forget. The Patriots players, the organization, the coaching staff, all of them, really stepped up to the plate. No one thought the Patriots had what it takes to still be in the mix the weekend of the NFC/AFC championship games. The preseason echoed with the names of other teams. Almost all the pundits felt we had lost too much, in all the important areas, throughout the past few years to compete at the highest levels. Yet, this team came within a heart beat of going to another Super Bowl.

Great job Patriots. I'm proud of ya.

HW

=====================

2006 season could rank among Belichick's most rewarding

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff ?|? January 26, 2007

When Patriots coach Bill Belichick reflects on the team's recently concluded 2006 season, it very well could rank as one of the most rewarding of his 32 years in the NFL.

It was a season in which the unexpected departure of receiver Deion Branch forced the team's passing game to evolve during the regular season instead of in training camp.

It was a season in which more crucial injuries struck - the Patriots were once again one of the NFL's most banged-up teams.

It was a season in which the coaching staff underwent more changes, the free agent losses outweighed the free agent gains, and the team took on a younger look.

In the end the Patriots still posted a 12-4 regular-season record, won the AFC East for the fourth straight year, and were a few plays away from winning the AFC championship.

Surely, Belichick will find the time to appreciate that accomplishment, but the stinging disappointment of last Sunday's 38-34 loss to the Colts in the AFC title game has not been erased, and probably won't be for a while.

Belichick touched on those feelings in a wide-ranging, season-ending interview that included a look back, a glimpse into the future, and his thoughts on why he's looking forward to continuing to serve as head coach of the team.

While Belichick and team chairman/CEO Robert Kraft and president Jonathan Kraft have agreed to not publicly discuss Belichick's contract, the coach does not sound like someone who desires to leave New England any time soon.

''I like the people I'm working with, I like the situation I'm in,'' Belichick said. ''First of all, it starts at the top. Mr. Kraft and his family have been tremendously supportive, giving us great support and facilities and everything that they can give to make a team competitive. I don't sit here and say, 'If we had this or had that, it would make a difference.' We pretty much have everything we need, the ability to use resources. That's No. 1 right there.

''I like our staff, and our organization. I think people work hard, they're committed, they're unselfish. The players have a real good work ethic, and I think they're tough - physically and mentally. I think you have to be to stand up to the challenges we've had to face, both on and off the field.

"Not saying this negatively, because it's something I'm happy about, but we've had a lot of long seasons and short offseasons, and their ability to compete and then kind of regroup and do offseason surgeries, re-train and come back and do it against stiff competition with people trying to knock you off, it's tremendously challenging. I'm obviously very proud and very pleased with the way our players commit to that for the most part. They give us everything they have, in an unselfish but a very tough and determined manner.

''When you have those things, it's hard not to feel good about what you're doing, and it's not hard to keep doing it. I love football and I love the area. The players, the organization, the support we get. I have a great relationship with the two most important to me, Mr. Kraft and [vice president of player personnel] Scott Pioli. I think all the way around, all three of us have a good relationship with each other, very workable, respectfully and complementary. It starts there.''

hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,676 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Re: Rewarding Season

in 381 games (22 years) that belichick has been either a defensive coordinator or head coach, not one time before last weekend, did his team give up 32 points in a single half. great job coach!

judging by his post game reaction i can tell how "rewarding" this season was for belichick. after all he was the architect of the walls that came crumbling down. mike reiss is one of the biggest homer writers in professional sports. lets analyze this piece of journalistic kleenex he has offered up:

Quote:
2006 season could rank among Belichick's most rewarding

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff | January 26, 2007

When Patriots coach Bill Belichick reflects on the team's recently concluded 2006 season, it very well could rank as one of the most rewarding of his 32 years in the NFL.

It was a season in which the unexpected departure of receiver Deion Branch forced the team's passing game to evolve during the regular season instead of in training camp. unexpected? dont the pats always know when they wont pay a player? caldwell looked like a fine replacement untill he was dropping balls at the most crucial times. thats on belichicl for setting the wr corp free.

It was a season in which more crucial injuries struck - the Patriots were once again one of the NFL's most banged-up teams. oh please. not this again. who the hell was injured? seau and harrison? what ever happened to that superb depth he would be bragging about if the pats had won?

It was a season in which the coaching staff underwent more changes, the free agent losses outweighed the free agent gains, and the team took on a younger look. again, all they need is pioli, belichick, and brady right? you would think he was sean payton taking over the saints, the way reiss is talking about him. he describes nothing here that doesnt happen with all teams.

In the end the Patriots still posted a 12-4 regular-season record, won the AFC East for the fourth straight year, and were a few plays away from winning the AFC championship. a few plays away from losing to the chargers too. winning the east is nothing to brag about. that was a foregone conclusion even before the season started, despite those who believed in saban.

Surely, Belichick will find the time to appreciate that accomplishment, but the stinging disappointment of last Sunday's 38-34 loss to the Colts in the AFC title game has not been erased, and probably won't be for a while. belichick still hasnt found time to appreciate the superbowls he won. when he finally retires or is on his death bed do you really think hes gonna reflect on how great it was to give up 32 points in the 2nd half of a game to p. manning?

Belichick touched on those feelings in a wide-ranging, season-ending interview that included a look back, a glimpse into the future, and his thoughts on why he's looking forward to continuing to serve as head coach of the team.

While Belichick and team chairman/CEO Robert Kraft and president Jonathan Kraft have agreed to not publicly discuss Belichick's contract, the coach does not sound like someone who desires to leave New England any time soon. of course not. kraft will probably give him a share of the franchise to keep him. after all he gives out superbowl rings to russian leaders

''I like the people I'm working with, I like the situation I'm in,'' Belichick said. ''First of all, it starts at the top. Mr. Kraft and his family have been tremendously supportive, giving us great support and facilities and everything that they can give to make a team competitive. I don't sit here and say, 'If we had this or had that, it would make a difference.' We pretty much have everything we need, the ability to use resources. That's No. 1 right there.

''I like our staff, and our organization. I think people work hard, they're committed, they're unselfish. The players have a real good work ethic, and I think they're tough - physically and mentally. I think you have to be to stand up to the challenges we've had to face, both on and off the field.

"Not saying this negatively, because it's something I'm happy about, but we've had a lot of long seasons and short offseasons, and their ability to compete and then kind of regroup and do offseason surgeries, re-train and come back and do it against stiff competition with people trying to knock you off, it's tremendously challenging. I'm obviously very proud and very pleased with the way our players commit to that for the most part. They give us everything they have, in an unselfish but a very tough and determined manner. and here comes the excuses...."long seasons and short offseasons"

''When you have those things, it's hard not to feel good about what you're doing, and it's not hard to keep doing it. I love football and I love the area. The players, the organization, the support we get. I have a great relationship with the two most important to me, Mr. Kraft and [vice president of player personnel] Scott Pioli. I think all the way around, all three of us have a good relationship with each other, very workable, respectfully and complementary. It starts there.'' im sure his wife and kids love reading who the 2 most important people are to him. if thats not rewarding, i dont know what is.
keep up the good work reiss!

Last edited by tony hipchest; 01-27-2007 at 01:06 AM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

[QUOTE=hardwork;211985]This was a season I won't forget. The Patriots players, the organization, the coaching staff, all of them, really stepped up to the plate. No one thought the Patriots had what it takes to still be in the mix the weekend of the NFC/AFC championship games. The preseason echoed with the names of other teams. Almost all the pundits felt we had lost too much, in all the important areas, throughout the past few years to compete at the highest levels. Yet, this team came within a heart beat of going to another Super Bowl.

Great job Patriots. I'm proud of ya.

HW

=====================

I'll second that.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
in 381 games (22 years) that belichick has been either a defensive coordinator or head coach, not one time before last weekend, did his team give up 32 points in a single half. great job coach!
Quote:
Deja vu?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #5
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Another 'the Patriots get no respect' moment. It's just getting pathetic now. You won 3 out of 5 superbowls, people shouldn't have to constantly say that your a contender becuase everyone knows you will be anyway.

I'm sure Tom Brady would be proud.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Screw the Patriettes!!! I'm sick of hearing about how they accomplished what no one thought they could. They accomplished losing a playoff game. They are exactly where the Raiders are right now... getting beer and chips ready to watch THE BEARS, and THE COLTS play in the Superbowl. Get the f**k over yourselve's already!!!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,676 Times in 2,896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
Screw the Patriettes!!! I'm sick of hearing about how they accomplished what no one thought they could. They accomplished losing a playoff game. They are exactly where the Raiders are right now... getting beer and chips ready to watch THE BEARS, and THE COLTS play in the Superbowl. Get the f**k over yourselve's already!!!
im still laughing at this cyber-tissue that was offered up. i would expect it from bungle fans and writers if it was their team who had choked to the colts. but not the patriots.

this takes me back to the steelers 15-1 season when the steelerfans looked for a silver lining to a season that ended with a rookie qb getting exposed. all's we got was "ben and cowher are chokers and will never win the big game."

funny how the same fans have said the exact same thing about the colts and manning.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Oh stop it already, hw - you're making me

Quote:
No one thought the Patriots had what it takes to still be in the mix the weekend of the NFC/AFC championship games.
Obviously, they didn't have what it took to hold onto a huge lead and WIN the AFCC. Close but no cigar means zip, zilch, nada and puts them right where 30 other teams are going to be on February 4th - watching Super Bowl XLII as a spectator.

Quote:
Yet, this team came within a heart beat of going to another Super Bowl.
I just can't.........stop.........

The question of the day is - why are you posting this here on a Steelers BB? Wouldn't this heartbreaking diatribe be best served on a Pats board where all of you Pats fans can sob, slobber and commiserate with each other?

P.S. I don't think heartbeat is the appropriate word here. Does the procedure Heimlich maneuver provide a clue?

The Anti-Wahoo

Last edited by HometownGal; 01-27-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:50 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

It doesn't mean a thing without the ring. And I'm sure Belichick would agree.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im still laughing at this cyber-tissue that was offered up. i would expect it from bungle fans and writers if it was their team who had choked to the colts. but not the patriots.

this takes me back to the steelers 15-1 season when the steelerfans looked for a silver lining to a season that ended with a rookie qb getting exposed. all's we got was "ben and cowher are chokers and will never win the big game."

funny how the same fans have said the exact same thing about the colts and manning.
I hear ya. I am so sick of hearing about the g damn patsies and how they were so close, and what a great game it was, and Tom Brady this, and Tom Brady that, and the Patriots this, and Belichick that............... cry me a freakin river. I never heard a team so enamored with itsef!

The Steelers went 15-1. Definitely something to be proud of. How many teams in today's NFL only lose 1 game in the regular season? I was pulling for you to go undefeated that year, just so I didn't have to look at all the old Dolphins on the sidelines cheering for whatever team to lose, so they can keep their precious undefeated season alive. As far as I'm concerned, what the Steelers did that year, surpasses what the Dolphins did.

Back to the original topic: F**K THE PATSIES!!!

Last edited by silver & black; 01-27-2007 at 03:03 PM.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote