Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Notes on watching the '75 Steelers last night

I know there's a thread announcing that it was coming on, this is for comments about what we saw.

1) Did anyone else notice how perfect Bradshaw's mechanics were? He looked amazing.

2) The players are better athletes today, but they were better football players back then. Sure, it was a highlights show, but everyone I saw, both Steeler and non-Steeler, knew how to make a tackle, how to wrap a guy up rather than blast him and miss or bounce off. Smaller guys and less padding made for a MORE physical game.

3) It's easy to forget how great Franco was in the meat of his career. We all remember the Franco of '78 and later, when he got the rep for stutter-stepping before the hole, for falling forward or running out of bounds rather than sticking for the last tough half-yard. But Franco was one of those guys who would make guys miss in the open field; he could change direction without losing any speed. His moves were so silky, so unexpected, so smooth.

4) The game was tougher, meaner then. Looking at that show, I could say that Haynesworth's stepping on a guy's face would have gone unremarked on in '75. Some of the stuff Swann took at the hands of the Raiders, with no flags... wow. Like Lynn said, that was legal then. Again, smaller players and less padding made it a more physical game than it is now.

5) Lynn Swann isn't anywhere near the greatest receiver of all time... he might not even be the best Steeler receiver of all time. But he very well might be the most graceful, the most beautiful at playing that position ever.

6) Sometimes I think that I see the past with rose glasses, that my memories of the '70s Steelers is that I remember them better than they actually were... but after watching that I don't think so. It's true that there are guys from that team who are not in the HOF because of all the guys who ARE in it. Greenwood. Wagner. Shell. Russell. Kolb. These guys, had they played anywhere else, would be HOF.

7) I could watch Lambert slam Cliff Harris to the ground over and over again for the rest of my life. I'd like to have that as a .gif for an avatar.

What a great show.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,390 Posts
Default Re: Notes on watching the '75 Steelers last night

It was a much more brutal game then - the Riaders appeared to be throwing themselves at Swann's legs constantly in film from what I think was a home shutout loss to the Raiders early in the 1974 season (which I recall ended the Joe Gilliam era). Raiders were obviously trying to send a message in Swann's first Raiders game (just as Wagner said the Steelers D was doing when it whacked Swann in 1974 training camp), but I guess Joe Greene was sending a message as well in that shot from the game in Cleveland where he kicks the Browns lineman in the crotch and the next image is 2 or 3 Browns on the ground pounding on Joe - LOL.

As Dwight said during the program, the Raiders and Steelers actually had a lot in common.

Although I remembered the Steelers being behind in the 2nd half of the game, I had forgotten the 5 turnovers in the Colts playoff game (I have a video of the Raiders game and have seen all the turnovers in that game, especially in the 4th quarter when, as Wagner said last night, everyone's hands were numb). In hindsight, that 75 team peaked with the thumpings of the Oilers and Bengals in late November/early December. Unlike today, where victory usually goes to whichever team gets hot in the playoffs, that team was so good it won it all while not playing anywhere close to its peak in late December and January.

Looking forward to the 78 Steelers program this weekend (my bet is that team will be #3 or #4, which means a Friday evening broadcast on NFL Network).
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts

you get the sense watching these highlights that these steelers definitely werent over coached. the guys were put on the field and allowed to just play. noll letting them go for it on 4th and 9, midfield, with their back up qb, at the end of the game, isnt the conventional move, but a move noll felt comfortable with. letting terry call his plays and chuck the ball downfield, ignoring the possiblity of a turn over or mistake. there wasnt anything special, scheme wise, like the finesse, and hocus pocus of the cowboys, just brute force, power and atheletisizm.

the steelers really never played a perfect game. they didnt have to, to be great. this makes me appreciate bill walsh, and how smart he was. he learned alot from facing a team like the steelers and realized he needed to create a perfect offense that totally minimized all mistakes, in order to create a dynasty that could accomplish what a powerhouse team like the steelers did.

theres no way the 49ers with joe montana could win 4 sb's if they were allowed to play balls to the walls, wreckless abandon style that the steelers and raiders played with in the 70's. i think this style of play is what draws such huge fanbases for the raiders and steelers.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
t-sizzlez
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3713

good days....
t-sizzlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Two alternative explanations for the going for it on 4th and 9 at the end of SB X I have heard:

1. John Facenda says in the SB X highlights film Walden had one punt blocked and nearly had another blocked so Noll figured there was less risk in just turning it over on downs; and

2. The Sports Illustrated story on the game (accessible on the America's Game NFL Network page for the 75 Steelers) said the Steelers coaches had a brain cramp and forgot the clock would stop when the ball was turned over on downs to a Cowboys team that was out of timeouts.

Never should have come down to Staubach making several throws into the end zone after the Steelers went up 21-10 but that Steelers team apparently liked to live on the edge.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
you get the sense watching these highlights that these steelers definitely werent over coached. the guys were put on the field and allowed to just play. noll letting them go for it on 4th and 9, midfield, with their back up qb, at the end of the game, isnt the conventional move, but a move noll felt comfortable with. letting terry call his plays and chuck the ball downfield, ignoring the possiblity of a turn over or mistake. there wasnt anything special, scheme wise, like the finesse, and hocus pocus of the cowboys, just brute force, power and atheletisizm.

the steelers really never played a perfect game. they didnt have to, to be great. this makes me appreciate bill walsh, and how smart he was. he learned alot from facing a team like the steelers and realized he needed to create a perfect offense that totally minimized all mistakes, in order to create a dynasty that could accomplish what a powerhouse team like the steelers did.

theres no way the 49ers with joe montana could win 4 sb's if they were allowed to play balls to the walls, wreckless abandon style that the steelers and raiders played with in the 70's. i think this style of play is what draws such huge fanbases for the raiders and steelers.
We actually need to thank the Bengals management for helping the dynasty - Walsh should have been picked by Paul Brown as his successor but Brown picked Tiger Johnson in 1976 and Walsh left.

With the talent the Bengals had in the mid-70s (as Wagner said when Ken Anderson was hired last week, the Steelers usually split games with the Bengals and were glad to so), Walsh installing his offense with the Bengals & Anderson in the mid-70s might have made the last 2 SB wins tougher to achieve if both the Bengals and Oilers had remained a force in the division through the late 70s.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

[QUOTE=Mosca;212930]I know there's a thread announcing that it was coming on, this is for comments about what we saw.

1) Did anyone else notice how perfect Bradshaw's mechanics were? He looked amazing.

2) The players are better athletes today, but they were better football players back then. Sure, it was a highlights show, but everyone I saw, both Steeler and non-Steeler, knew how to make a tackle, how to wrap a guy up rather than blast him and miss or bounce off. Smaller guys and less padding made for a MORE physical game.

3) It's easy to forget how great Franco was in the meat of his career. We all remember the Franco of '78 and later, when he got the rep for stutter-stepping before the hole, for falling forward or running out of bounds rather than sticking for the last tough half-yard. But Franco was one of those guys who would make guys miss in the open field; he could change direction without losing any speed. His moves were so silky, so unexpected, so smooth.

4) The game was tougher, meaner then. Looking at that show, I could say that Haynesworth's stepping on a guy's face would have gone unremarked on in '75. Some of the stuff Swann took at the hands of the Raiders, with no flags... wow. Like Lynn said, that was legal then. Again, smaller players and less padding made it a more physical game than it is now.

5) Lynn Swann isn't anywhere near the greatest receiver of all time... he might not even be the best Steeler receiver of all time. But he very well might be the most graceful, the most beautiful at playing that position ever.

6) Sometimes I think that I see the past with rose glasses, that my memories of the '70s Steelers is that I remember them better than they actually were... but after watching that I don't think so. It's true that there are guys from that team who are not in the HOF because of all the guys who ARE in it. Greenwood. Wagner. Shell. Russell. Kolb. These guys, had they played anywhere else, would be HOF.

7) I could watch Lambert slam Cliff Harris to the ground over and over again for the rest of my life. I'd like to have that as a .gif for an avatar.

What a great show.

Good points Tom! - I don't have a dish, but I remember a lot about that game and the Steelers from that era - the thing I remember most is the absolute confidence I had in the defense to stop the Cowboys when they were on their last drive - maybe it was youthful naivety - but I had watched the previous SB and saw how the Defense stepped up, so there was little doubt...

Bradshaw made some comments a few years back after the death of the OLman from the Minnesota Vikings - the offensive lineman from his teams during the seventies were required to run wind sprints with the rest of team, maintain strict diets, put on weightlifting programs -- the emphasis was on strength, agility, endurance, quickness, etc - if a guy came in at 300lbs he would be fined big time - completely different game then

The only thing better than watching Lambert throw Harris down is listening to Lambert explain what happened afterwards when he argued with the ref. Apparently, the ref told Lambert he was out of the game and was going to walk over and tell the Steeler sideline - Lambert cut him off and said something like "you can't throw me out of this game - this is the SB! - classic

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

You just gotta love Lambert for taking up for his teammate and the heart that Lynn Swann showed playing after the Oakland game the week before. The Raiders were/still are the Dirtiest Team in the League. The game was awesome and it is just awesome to see some of those young guys like Bradshaw/Swann/Stallworth/MeanJoeGreene/LCGreenwood
Franco in their primes out there. Its Just Awesome!
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote