Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047
Default Steelers 1978 Team voted best of all time

This is from Peter Kings Tuesday edition - voted on by the fans of his columns

I asked which of the NFL Films Final Four Super Bowl teams -- the '72 Dolphins (went 17-0, beat Washington 14-7 in the Super Bowl); the '78 Steelers (went 17-2, beat Dallas 35-31 in the Super Bowl); the '85 Bears (went 18-1, beat New England 46-10 in the Super Bowl); or the '89 49ers (went 17-2, beat Denver 55-10 in the Super Bowl -- should be voted the top Super Bowl champion ever. The best team has already been picked by a panel of football experts, and the four one-hour shows will air this weekend.

Your votes were tabulated by 4 p.m. Monday. The numbers:

1. The 1978 Steelers, 150 votes.

2. The 1985 Bears, 136 votes.

3. The 1989 49ers, 114 votes.

4. The 1972 Dolphins, 92 votes.

So the Steelers win. Doesn't surprise me. I picked the four best e-mails defending each, and here they are:

DOLPHINS: From Paul Pearson of Ossining, N.Y.: "Every sports fan, no matter the sport, knows about "untouchable" records: DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak, Wilt's 100 points, UCLA's 88 straight wins, (when I was a kid), Bob Beamon's long jump. But no one mentions this: The '72 Dolphins may have the most untouchable record of them all. (Just ask Peyton.)

STEELERS: From Harold Gulley of Skokie, Ill.: "This isn't even a close call. That team's arsenal of offensive and defensive weapons was not only too much for Dallas and Staubach in an exciting Super Bowl that I still regard as the best championship game ever, but the Steelers were also good enough to run my beloved and talented Oakland Raiders out of the AFC playoffs. I didn't like the Steelers, but they won because they were a superior team that played well as a group.''

NINERS. From Mike Cincotti of San Francisco: "I'd like to vote for the 1989 49ers for two main reasons. 1) Their backup quarterback was one of the 10 best quarterbacks of all time. 2) They outscored their three playoff opponents by a combined 100 points. A hundred points!''

BEARS. From Aaron Benjamin of Chicago: "In a city where people were struggling just to make ends meet, a collection of jokers, misfits, and ****y guys came together under a fire-breathing coach to form a team that simply refused to lose. They had two simple game plans: On offense, we are going to run the ball, and we dare you to stop us (which no one did, by the way, even the Dolphins gave up over 100 yards to the Bears in their only loss). On defense we were going to simply hurt your quarterback. No one could stop Walter Payton and our run game! It's much more fun to win when the other team knows what's coming and you are still able to punch them in the mouth! No team on the list (and I have been following the series) has the aura, mystique, and inspires as much modern comparison as the 1985 Bears.''

Thanks for your cooperation

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Re: Steelers 1978 Team voted best of all time

That's pretty cool. And may I say that I agree 110%.

~Polamalufan43
Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Looks like Peter King could do with a few extra fans for his column - how many has he got there total...less than 500?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

This is BS!!!!

89 Niners were the best!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,188 Posts

Thought you had somehow cracked the embargo on the actual announcement

I agree with the people's choice but IMHO I now believe the "experts" #1 will be the 72 Dolphins (a team the 72 Steelers almost beat prior to adding Swann, Stalllworth, Webster & Lambert to the mix).

Now that I understand America's Game programs of all 40 SB winners have been made I am not as disappointed the 74 and 79 teams were left out of the top 20 to avoid repetition.

Hopefully NFL.com will offer the America's Game DVDs for the 5 Steelers SB winners at some kind of group rate rather than charge the current going rate of $20 a progarm. If the other programs match the quality of last night's 75 Steelers program these DVDs are a must see for any Steelers junkie.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
sumo
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Looks like Peter King could do with a few extra fans for his column - how many has he got there total...less than 500?

NM
He announced it the day before yesterday so it was a 24 hour thing and it wasn't an online poll like what you see frequently on ESPN's site - it's only the users that are registered thru his column to send emails (all of the users were required to send emails justifying their votes) - my guess - it's a group of hardcore NFL fans that email him frequently - a group of 500 hardcore NFL fans or 500 members of the media - to me it's no contest - I take the fans over the media every time!

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
Old 01-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
sumo
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Thought you had somehow cracked the embargo on the actual announcement

I agree with the people's choice but IMHO I now believe the "experts" #1 will be the 72 Dolphins (a team the 72 Steelers almost beat prior to adding Swann, Stalllworth, Webster & Lambert to the mix).

Now that I understand America's Game programs of all 40 SB winners have been made I am not as disappointed the 74 and 79 teams were left out of the top 20 to avoid repetition.

Hopefully NFL.com will offer the America's Game DVDs for the 5 Steelers SB winners at some kind of group rate rather than charge the current going rate of $20 a progarm. If the other programs match the quality of last night's 75 Steelers program these DVDs are a must see for any Steelers junkie.
I know you posted it previously, so please forgive me for asking again - but how and who decided on these rankings from the NFL network? or who are 'the panel of experts?'

Old 01-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,949 Times in 3,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
He announced it the day before yesterday so it was a 24 hour thing and it wasn't an online poll like what you see frequently on ESPN's site - it's only the users that are registered thru his column to send emails (all of the users were required to send emails justifying their votes) - my guess - it's a group of hardcore NFL fans that email him frequently - a group of 500 hardcore NFL fans or 500 members of the media - to me it's no contest - I take the fans over the media every time!
you are correct.

and the fans are correct for picking those steelers.

miami beat washington- whoopie
bears demolished patriots- *snicker* (how did that sorry team even make it to the big game?)
SF destroyed the broncos- a 3 time champion team going against a team that couldnt get out of its own way when it came to playing in the superbowl.

the steelers however beat the best of the best- americas team, that had proven to be of championship calibur (not to mention having to go through the micro dynasty of oakland to get there).

miami beat a sb newbie, the bears beat a newbie who was an 80's flash in the pan, and the 49ers beat a perinnial choker (about as impressive as the cowboys beating the bills for the 2nd time)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

The '78 Steelers championship team was, imho, the most superior team ever in every respect. They had it all. The 72 Dolphs were one helluva good team, but they played 2 less games during the regular season than the rest of the "contestants".

It was strange reading that a die-hard Raiders fan gave props to that '78 team, but I can't disagree with his opinion.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
sumo
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
The '78 Steelers championship team was, imho, the most superior team ever in every respect. They had it all. The 72 Dolphs were one helluva good team, but they played 2 less games during the regular season than the rest of the "contestants".

It was strange reading that a die-hard Raiders fan gave props to that '78 team, but I can't disagree with his opinion.
IMHO, I think it justifies it even more that we have a Raiders fan saying this - all of us older fans remember the epic battles with the Raiders, and at the time, we despised each other, but now there is a lot of respect - I find myself agreeing/sympathizing with the silver&black dude on this forum all the time when it comes to the history of the league, the 70s era, etc - and he makes an excellent point - we beat the Raiders and the Cowboys to get the ring - they were no doubt - the two best teams in the NFL besides the Steelers