Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts
Default Conditioning Coach Let Go

Steelers conditioning coordinator Chet Fuhrman was informed Tuesday afternoon that the team was "going in a different direction" with the position and that his 15-year association with the Steelers had ended.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491006.html

Another one bites the dust - I can see getting rid of assistants that might not share the philosophy of the HC regarding offensive or defensive schemes as well as dumping assistants for underperforming units.

But replacing the conditioning coach? With all the other changes, I am more convinced than ever that LeBeau survived only because the Rooneys made it clear that if Tomlin wanted the HC job he had to agree to keep LeBeau.

I thought it was time for some changes and that certainly appears to be what is happening.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Donnie Iris
Water Boy

Member Number: 4861
Default Re: Conditioning Coach Let Go

I think this is just another move to light a fire under this team. Maybe they became too comfortable in the way things were done, even down to a conditioning standpoint. I think Tomlin wants to create a whole new environment for this team, and this is just another move to accomplish that goal.

Donnie Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Tomlin hires new strength coach for Steelers
Wednesday, January 31, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin has hired former Tampa Bay strength coach Garrett Giemont to be the team's new conditioning coordinator, replacing Chet Fuhrman.

Giemont was the Buccaneers' strength coach in 2003 and 2004 when Tomlin was the team's secondary coach. Previously, Giemont worked eight seasons with the Oakland Raiders (1995-2002) and was strength and conditioning coach for the Los Angeles Rams from 1983-1991. He was also director of physical development for the Chicago Cubs from 1992-94.

Giemont was named the NFL's strength and conditioning coach of the year in 2002. Fuhrman, 55, who had worked with the Steelers since Bill Cowher's first season in 1992, was the NFL's strength coach of the year in 2005.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07031/758257-100.stm
Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Sounds like this guy was out of a job - he may be great but bringing someone in as what in some ways appears to be the equivalent of poltical patronage is not particularly encouraging.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Maybe Giemont is better at conditioning players to play the cover (Tampa) 2 - its just a guess, but maybe different skills, and therefore muscles, are utilized more often in 4 man fronts and safeties that sit deeper.

Plus, LBers have to be alot more mobile.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I think Tomlin just wanted to bring in his own guy. It might not go any deeper than that. I don't blame him. It's his team and his job on the line.

To go off topic to a degree, this kind of reminds me of when Ray Shero took over the Pittsburgh Penguins (GM), only he completely cleaned house (a few scouts remained). Team trainers, equipment manager, etc. All gone. Many thought he was nuts when he fired Steve Latin (equipment manager since the cup years and a total of 18 years) and after all those firings and "strange moves" we are now in playoff contention and currently on a 6-0-1 streak.

Much like every other coach/position Tomlin has hired since he has became the HC, we'll see how it works out. He knows the conditioning prospects better than I do, I'll take his word for it.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 01-31-2007 at 03:21 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #7
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Giemont does have a nice resume.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote