Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Troy Smith Lobbying Browns to Draft Him

The first time I've ever heard of a player saying they want to play for the Browns!

Troy Smith lobbying Browns to draft him
The Associated Press

CLEVELAND - Usually the one avoiding pressure, Troy Smith is putting the heat on the Cleveland Browns.

Ohio State?s Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback is lobbying his hometown team to select him in April?s NFL draft, and he isn?t missing any chance to remind the Browns that he?ll be available to them soon.

Smith was named the area?s outstanding collegiate athlete at Tuesday night?s Greater Cleveland Sports Awards, and during a taped acceptance speech he thanked the city?s fans for their support.

?Hopefully, I?ll get a chance to represent you guys at the next level with the Cleveland Browns,? he said.

Smith hasn?t hidden his desire to play for the Browns, who after finishing 4-12 last season will pick either third or fourth in April?s draft. During a recent halftime ceremony at an Ohio State basketball game, Smith wore a Browns jacket.

Following a tribute for him at Glenville High School in December, Smith said playing for the Browns would fulfill a lifelong goal.

?I have dreamed about it and talked about it countless times with my mother,? he said. ?All she talks about is saving the Browns. If that were to happen, that would be a dream come true because I could stay in the community and give back.?

Last year, Texas quarterback Vince Young made a similar plea to Houston, hoping to play for his hometown team. However, the Texans took defensive end Mario Williams with the No. 1 overall pick instead. Young ended up going to Tennessee at No. 3 and was named the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year after leading the Titans to an 8-8 record.

Most draft experts have forecast Smith being taken in the second or third round. The knock on Smith is that he?s not a prototypical pocket passer and that he?s too small ? he was listed at 6-foot-1 on Ohio State?s roster and measured 6-foot at last week?s Senior Bowl.

One of his former high school and college teammates believes Smith is being underestimated.

?He should be a first-round pick,? said Buffalo safety Donte Whitner, the No. 8 pick overall last year by the Bills. ?I don?t think there is a problem with his height. He has shown what he can do on the field, he?s a winner. He has won the big games, except for the last one. I believe in him.

?They said the same thing about Drew Brees, but he changed the New Orleans Saints organization around this year.?

Smith didn?t end his college career on a good note as he was roughed up by Florida?s defense in a 41-14 loss in the BCS national championship. However, Browns general manager Phil Savage said Smith?s performance shouldn?t hurt his draft status.

?One game doesn?t make a career,? he said. ?It was unfortunate the way it unfolded. That is the only sport that I know of where they take 50 days off and then play the championship. Troy had a terrific career at Ohio State, he won the Heisman Trophy, he?s from Cleveland and well see how the draft unfolds in all of that.?

The Browns seem committed to starting either Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson at quarterback next season, so if they pick a QB, it probably won?t be until the later rounds of the two-day draft on April 28-29.

Frye said he isn?t concerned about the possibility of the Browns bringing in another quarterback.

?If you?re worried about that, you?re worrying about the wrong things,? he said.

Smith isn?t the only Clevelander dreaming of playing for the Browns.

Wide receiver/returner Ted Ginn Jr., Smith?s teammate at Glenville and Ohio State, is skipping his senior college season for the NFL. He, too, said he would like to trade a silver helmet for an orange one.

?It?s always been a dream to play for the Browns,? he said. ?Why would I want to go anywhere else but Cleveland??

Ginn still is wearing a protective walking boot after spraining his left foot in the BCS title game. Ginn said his injury, which happened during a celebration after he returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, is getting better and that he?ll work out for pro scouts once it?s 100 percent.

He said watching from the sideline on crutches during the Gators? thrashing of the top-ranked Buckeyes was difficult.

?Oh, man, it was very tough to see my team go down like that and not be able to help them at all,? he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16889944/
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901
Default Re: Troy Smith Lobbying Browns to Draft Him

If the Browns draft a QB in the early rounds, they are stupid. They need to just build around Frye, he'll be a good QB.

With that said, the Browns will probably draft a QB in the first round.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

the title of this thread should be 'Troy Smith Lobbying for a Death Wish'

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #4
boLT fan
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
the title of this thread should be 'Troy Smith Lobbying for a Death Wish'
Or "Troy Smith hates football"
Old 01-31-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Brady Quinn has also said that he wants to play for the Browns.

If the Browns are smart the dradt only offensive and defensive linemen the first day.

However,this is the Browns...and they will take Quinn or Russel,whichever falls to them,and throw them behind one of the bottom o-lines in football and obliterate another promising NFL career.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

I'm going to go on record now with saying that the Clowns do draft Troy Smith. And unfortunately he will change the entire 'dynamic' of their offense for the better. Russell has the physical tools regarding size and athleticism. But in my opinion Smith (though lacking Russell's size),....is still the best Qb of his class this year. (Followed by Drew Stanton)
And for those wondering why i did not mention Quinn,....lets just say,.....Kyle Boller. LOL
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
And for those wondering why i did not mention Quinn,....lets just say,.....Kyle Boller. LOL
Brady Quinn will be a good QB and put up some good numbers...he won't be as good as Manning though.Also,Quinn will choke in every big game he plays.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
boLT fan
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
I'm going to go on record now with saying that the Clowns do draft Troy Smith. And unfortunately he will change the entire 'dynamic' of their offense for the better. Russell has the physical tools regarding size and athleticism. But in my opinion Smith (though lacking Russell's size),....is still the best Qb of his class this year. (Followed by Drew Stanton)
Troy Smith as the best in the draft class? WTF?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by boLT fan View Post
Troy Smith as the best in the draft class? WTF?

Don't hurt yourself,.......you will know the truth soon enough as to whom is or not in regards as to whom is the best Qb of this years draft class.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I think its a refreshing change to the situation Eli Manning and his father perpetrated at the 2004 draft, by insisting on picking his team rather than vice-versa.

Good luck to him.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote