Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-31-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Saban in racial slur storm

Looks like Saban has bought into a whole new world of trouble.

Quote:
Several readers have sent the audio clip to us, in which Saban relates a story that was shared with him by one of the members of the LSU Board of Trustees. He likely didn't realize that someone's tape recorder was rolling.

Here's the audio. Here's the raw transcript:

"My friends are okay with it. The rest of those guys? One of my, one of my guy on the board -- you guys won't be able to put this on the thing -- was walking down the street, one of the Board of Trustees guys like these people around here and sitting up on the stage today at LSU, is walking down the street yesterday before the Sugar Bowl. He calls me. There's a guy working in a ditch. One of those coon-ass guys that talk funny. I can't talk like him but he can. Most people in Louisiana can. And he says, 'Hey, you see where Coach Saban signed up with Alabama?' You know however they talk. And the Board of Trustees guy says, 'Yeah, I saw that.' And he says, 'That son of a bitch. I feel like he's f--king my wife.'"

We don't know where the audio originated, or who inserted sound effects to block the words "bitch" and "f--king." It appears that the comments were made on January 4, following Saban's introductory press conference at Alabama.

And though we don't know whether it's real or a forgery, if it's a forgery it's a damn convincing forgery.

With letter-of-intent day for Saban's first recruiting class at Alabama arriving one week from today, this is something that Saban needs to clear up ASAP.

(Meanwhile, that sound you hear in the distance is Miami Dolphins fans around the world laughing their asses off.)

With all that said, several readers have told us that "coon-ass" is not regarded in the South as a racial slur, though we'd never heard the term in any other context. But some regard it as a slur against Cajun folk. This sentiment is echoed in the Wikipedia definition of the term. Other readers are shocked that the term could be regarded as anything other than offensive.

We'd never heard the word before this morning, and we're shocked that the letters "coon" would be considered acceptable in any context other than following the letters "rac".

Either way, it wasn't a moment of genius for Saban, and he has given his NCAA rivals even more ammunition for targeting his recruits.
Interesting timing, what with all the fanfare over two black coaches making the SB for the first time.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498
Default Re: Saban in racial slur storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

Interesting timing, what with all the fanfare over two black coaches making the SB for the first time.

NM

Ahhhh yes,..... the wonders of divisive 'control' political agendas. (Chris Rock voice:) "Right on time,.....this train is never Late"! LOL
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

Some cajuns find it offensive and some do not. I'm cajun and I'm of the percentage that it doesn't bother.
Some members of my family prefer you to call them a coonass rather than just cajun.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

COSMO KRAMER! - now he will come on the Letterman show and apologize..

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,514 Posts

I really think he is catching flack because coon is not only used as a derogatory term for Cajuns. Since Saban apparently was not using it in reference to another minority group with which that term is associated he probably will get a pass since slurring Cajuns is not going to stir as many folks up.

Further evidence Saban is someone I would not want coaching any team I support.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,797 Times in 3,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

NM
i dont see what the trouble is. 1st of all, saban is a piece of shit that comes from the same "lack of class" tree as belichick, and as long as he is a winner (in the college ranks atleast), nothing else should matter, right?

i can imagine the reaction of pats supporters if belichick dropped the N-bomb. it would be swept under the rug because of his record.

"sure hes an *******, but hes a damn good coach and im glad hes MY teams coach. youre just jealous.".

saban apologists will react just the same. everyone else will see him for what he is despite the ring(s).
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I really think he is catching flack because coon is not only used as a derogatory term for Cajuns. Since Saban apparently was not using it in reference to another minority group with which that term is associated he probably will get a pass since slurring Cajuns is not going to stir as many folks up.

Further evidence Saban is someone I would not want coaching any team I support.
From what i've read it seems that he knows its a derogatory term, but that its ok for him to say it because he was 'only repeating someone elses words'.

Appaently its not language that he would use or condone.

He also said that it should be noted that the comments were made 'off the record'.

Go figure.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdownward View Post
Some cajuns find it offensive and some do not. I'm cajun and I'm of the percentage that it doesn't bother.
Some members of my family prefer you to call them a coonass rather than just cajun.
Wow thats pretty interesting.

I think alot of people take an immediate dislike to the term because its so closely related to a derogatory term for a black person.

NM
Old 02-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Well, I honestly have never heard that term to refer to an African American. And I agree that this will be interesting with the two coaches in the SB.... hmmmmmm

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalufan43 View Post
Well, I honestly have never heard that term to refer to an African American. And I agree that this will be interesting with the two coaches in the SB.... hmmmmmm

~Polamalufan43
Not the whole word - just the first half of the term.

Personally, I think its always better to get this stuff out in the open rather than everyone pretend they dont have prejudices - its the only way to tackle it.

NM