Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,795 Times in 2,678 Posts
Default 1978 Steelers - SB Team #3

The 1978 Steelers are team #3 in the NFL Network America's Game series. Initial showing is at 9 p.m. Friday - the real killer Bs (Blount, Bleier, and Bradshaw) are the interviews.

For some reason #4 is not up, but my guess is it will be the 1989 49ers, which will leave the one shot wonder 1985 Bears and 1972 Dolphins as the top two teams. Since the Dolphins are the only undefeated team ranking them #1 certainly would be a legitimate choice.

These ratings obviously are arbitrary and FWIW the 78 Steelers not getting #1 is more defensible than such other rankings shows such as ESPN Sports Century getting caught up in the hype of the moment and ranking Michael Jordan over Ali and Babe Ruth as top athlete of the 20th century.

I am just glad the NFL made these programs and am looking forward to the programs on the 1974, 1979 and 2005 champs that will run later this year.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900
Default Re: 1978 Steelers - SB Team #3

Little BS here, I would agree that the 72 fins are a solid #1 choice. The 85 Bears as #2?????, this one is a hard sell! Trying not to be a homer, but I could pick at least 4 or 5 teams that I think are better then that 85 team. Opinions are like *&*^%%*, everyone has one. I will look forward to the show Friday night.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Thanks for the heads up. Ill set my DVR
Old 02-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
Little BS here, I would agree that the 72 fins are a solid #1 choice. The 85 Bears as #2?????, this one is a hard sell! Trying not to be a homer, but I could pick at least 4 or 5 teams that I think are better then that 85 team. Opinions are like *&*^%%*, everyone has one. I will look forward to the show Friday night.
Youre right...but unfortunatly they had the poll in the same year that the Bears make it back to the Superbowl...so every numbnut with a computer and vague recollection of the superbowl shuffle can go online and vote for "their" team...even though they dont know the difference between a cover 2 and a coverall.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

The freakin' '85 Bears were WAAAAAAAAAY better than the league that year, but they weren't better than a lot of other great teams; they wouldn't have beaten the '76 Steelers.

And I agree, if the poll had been held last year I'd expect the '78 Steelers to leapfrog the Bears. No big deal, though. They were both great teams, had great seasons, and it will be fun to watch the recaps.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
No kidding - the Bears were lucky to be playing the Pats in that SB - it was a total fluke when the Pats got past Miami in the playoffs - Bears still would have won it that year, but if they had faced Miami, it would have been a much closer game - Marino's quick release and protection made their 4-6 look silly when they played earlier in the season- what did he put up on'em something like 45 points? ...

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,138 Times in 2,641 Posts

i cant wait to hear blounts commentary. he's always been one of my favorite interviews from the era. he has a very engaging personality and has never been over exposed. blier and of course bradshaw are excellent choises to round this out.

besides jerome, i wonder who the 3 will be for the 2005 version.

interesting tid bit: nfl films shoots more film each year than all the hollywood studios combined.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,795 Times in 2,678 Posts

The rankings where the Steelers came in #3 are based on the so-called "blue ribbon panel" of mostly media types but some coaches, front office types and players as well. There is a separate fans poll ranking that will be used during the all day showings on February 11 - Da Bears are in the lead in the fans poll.

After I get done posting this the mystery #4 team probably will turn out to be the 85 Bears, but I think that team is so highly regarded because it tore up three fairly mediocre opponents in the playoffs (Giants/Rams/Pats - defending champ 49ers crashed in the Meadowlands in the playoffs ) and was the first team after cable sports coverage really arrived to play to the media hype (we're not here to cause any trouble,we're just here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle" )

At least one writer and (of all people) Brian Billick do not buy into the 85 Bears hype:

Da Busts
Mid-'80s Bears were NFL's most disappointing team

Michael Silver - SI.com

Thanks to their dominant defense, spectacular season and over-the-top Super Bowl performance, the 1985 Chicago Bears are often ranked at or near the top of people's 'Greatest Teams of Alltime' lists.

Here in sunny South Florida, where the 2006 edition of the House That Halas Built is preparing for the second Super Bowl appearance in franchise history, I'd like to throw another superlative at those mid-'80s Bears.

They were the biggest underachievers in NFL history.

"When we broke the Bears' record for fewest points allowed in a season in 2000," Ravens coach Brian Billick said on Tuesday night, "it wasn't the record from the Super Bowl run -- it was from '86, when they got bounced from the playoffs. Not many people realize that, but it shows you how good they could have been."

I asked Billick if he felt those Bears teams had underachieved. "That's the age-old debate about the '85 Bears vs. the run Pittsburgh had in the '70s or a team like the ['80s] 49ers or ['90s] Cowboys," he said. "To put it in different parlance, does the one-hit wonder or the long track record of some of those other teams prevail -- and which do you admire more?"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

The fact that I agree with anything Billick says is very disturbing.

IMHO the 78 Steelers and 89 49ers had greatness on both sides of the ball and would have beaten the 85 Bears.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i cant wait to hear blounts commentary. he's always been one of my favorite interviews from the era. he has a very engaging personality and has never been over exposed. blier and of course bradshaw are excellent choises to round this out.

besides jerome, i wonder who the 3 will be for the 2005 version.

interesting tid bit: nfl films shoots more film each year than all the hollywood studios combined.
Same here. I'm looking forward to seeing what old Mel has to say. Blount is definietly one of my all time favorite Steelers. It would be nice to see us pick up a defensive back that had Blount's size. That guy was a beast.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #10
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
The freakin' '85 Bears were WAAAAAAAAAY better than the league that year, but they weren't better than a lot of other great teams; they wouldn't have beaten the '76 Steelers.

And I agree, if the poll had been held last year I'd expect the '78 Steelers to leapfrog the Bears. No big deal, though. They were both great teams, had great seasons, and it will be fun to watch the recaps.

Tom
I don't know, the 85 Bears were good, but the Pats were custom made for a major beating in the SB - you couldn't ask for a better match-up - slow footed QB that doesn't feel comfortbale in the shot gun with a slow release - this game had Foreman vs Frazier written all over it - as I said in my other reply, if the Bears had faced Marino in the SB that year....anyway - IMHO, all of the teams the Steelers beat in their SBs were much better and I think this should be more of a factor with these 'panel experts'

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote