Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-03-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Montana say's what everyone thinks about NFL

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/16605386.htm

Montana rips NFL for criticizing him
By Cam Inman
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

MIAMI - Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana harshly criticized the NFL in a radio interview Thursday, regarding his absence in last year's Super Bowl halftime show featuring past Super Bowl MVPs. Montana was in Detroit in the days leading up to Super Bowl XL but flew home before the game, reportedly after the NFL declined his demand for a $100,000 appearance fee.

"It's typical NFL. They don't get their way. They just can't live with the fact that I don't have to have the NFL to live," Montana said on Sporting News Radio. "They want you to do something and they expect everyone to say yes and jump. But I have two boys that I have a responsibility to and I enjoy being around. And if I want to go home and watch the game with them, I should have every right.

"I don't have to do what the NFL wants me to do. They're putting on a show. And because you don't want to be a part of their show, they get upset, and they have a reporter in the Bay Area, who knows me very well, write a story without even trying to contact me and get my side of the story. It's typical."

Ira Miller, currently the Contra Costa Times' online NFL columnist, reported about Montana's appearance-fee request in an article for the San Francisco Chronicle on the day of Super Bowl XL. Montana subsequently issued a statement denying he made such a request.

In a May article in Florida Today, Montana said that "money wasn't an issue" and that he simply wanted to attend his sons' basketball games that weekend. However, Montana added: "My agent probably did what all agents do, and asked for an appearance fee."
Old 02-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Montana say's what everyone thinks about NFL

Good for him!! Joe Montana was one of the only players in the NFL I followed even thugh he wasn't a Steeler. What a great quarterback! I loved watching him .
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Though I respect Montana as one of the greatest QBs of all time, I do not respect him as a person. A woman I used to work with was in his class at Ringgold High and she was arranging a HS reunion and naturally, sent him an invitation via his parents who at that time, still lived in the Mon Valley. Several weeks later, she received a terse reply from his agent stating that he would only "consider" attending the reunion if she gave him an "appearance fee" of $5,000.00. Needless to say, she said thanks but no thanks. A person should never forget their roots. He's a pompous ass, imho.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:03 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,520 Times in 3,752 Posts

Montana (and unfortunately Bradshaw) expect to be paid for everything.

It sounds like he was going to attend his kid's basketball games unless he got paid what he wanted (gee- where have I heard that before?)

It is not as if the NFL asked Montana to attend a card signing for free - there is something to be said for paying back a league that made you rich.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

From what I've heard/seen from Montana as a person, it's not good. What stands out to me is that the man rarely comes back to Pittsburgh. Bradshaw, Marino, Dorsett, Ditka, Franco, Mean Joe, Hamm, Lambert, LC, Blount, Stallworth, Swanny (even though I heard rumors about him) all have in the past.

While I have heard certain "rumors" about Joe dealing with his ego and past actions from certain people, it's all hearsay and there is no point in divulging it. Hell, I've also heard rumors pertaining to Russ Grimm but that's a whole other story..lol. I wish Joe the best, but it seems since he moved out of Pittsburgh he has gained the same amount of brain capacity as the majority of the folks who live in the city of San Francisco.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-03-2007 at 09:25 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

I heard that he likes to make love to monkeys!!!!!!

Come on people, stuff your I heard from......storys in a sack. Rumors....

AtlantaDan, you and I brother see life in completly different ways. You think the NFL made Montana, while I think it's players like Montana that made the NFL.

And you say "RICH"....How would you feel if you knew you were the best that ever played your position and you see someone like McNabb who makes the kind of $$ he does!!! I think you would be a little ticked also and would want to max out what you could, now and in the future.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
I heard that he likes to make love to monkeys!!!!!!

Come on people, stuff your I heard from......storys in a sack. Rumors....

AtlantaDan, you and I brother see life in completly different ways. You think the NFL made Montana, while I think it's players like Montana that made the NFL.

And you say "RICH"....How would you feel if you knew you were the best that ever played your position and you see someone like McNabb who makes the kind of $$ he does!!! I think you would be a little ticked also and would want to max out what you could, now and in the future.
I agree that players make the league but respectfully disagree that Montana or any other single player that thinks he does not owe anything back to the league has the better argument here - all but 3 of those players who were Super Bowl MVPs showed up in Detroit last year to honor the game. The NFL is not a one player show like the PGA or tennis - Montana made what he did because of not only his teammates and coaches but because those who came before him in the NFL establshed the traditions and fan loyalty that results in the seat licenses and TV contracts that pay the salaries.

It sounds like Montana would have appeared if the league met his price (he does not deny the agent had his hand out to the league) and would have told his wife to make a video of his kid's basketball game. If he wanted to be paid then admit it and don't hide behind being such a committed Dad.

As for being envious of what today's players make, that is the way it is and always has been - Bart Starr probably wishes he made what Montana made but he showed up in Detroit last year.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I agree that players make the league but respectfully disagree that Montana or any other single player that thinks he does not owe anything back to the league has the better argument here - all but 3 of those players who were Super Bowl MVPs showed up in Detroit last year to honor the game. The NFL is not a one player show like the PGA or tennis - Montana made what he did because of not only his teammates and coaches but because those who came before him in the NFL establshed the traditions and fan loyalty that results in the seat licenses and TV contracts that pay the salaries.

It sounds like Montana would have appeared if the league met his price (he does not deny the agent had his hand out to the league) and would have told his wife to make a video of his kid's basketball game. If he wanted to be paid then admit it and don't hide behind being such a committed Dad.

As for being envious of what today's players make, that is the way it is and always has been - Bart Starr probably wishes he made what Montana made but he showed up in Detroit last year.

I don't disagree, but I also do not blame any of the older players if they try to still make a buck off of there former fame. I think most of us would do it.

Life is'nt fair that we all know, but you and I are (Don't know you so I may be reaching here) not or will never be the best in the world at what we do for a living. Montana was.

Good reply Dan, though you and I don't see eye to eye you make some good points.

Shark.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
[/B]

I don't disagree, but I also do not blame any of the older players if they try to still make a buck off of there former fame. I think most of us would do it.

Life is'nt fair that we all know, but you and I are (Don't know you so I may be reaching here) not or will never be the best in the world at what we do for a living. Montana was.

Good reply Dan, though you and I don't see eye to eye you make some good points.

Shark.
Back at ya - having opportunities to agree to disagree with other posters in a non-belligerent manner is a big part of this board for me.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Not only do players of today make way more money than yesterdays profesionals. They also enjoy longer careers due to the advancement of training tequniques, expansion creating the need for more athletes and not least of all rule changes lessening the physical injury risk to all. Dont think for one second that the rules commitee which is made up of owners, approved the newer rules protecting players based soley on protection. They know that protecting big name players will ultimately generate more revenue for them in the form of all the television coverage and media hype (it is no secret everything the NFL does is catered to t.v.) that results in more merchandise sold which the owners share the revenue from.

Sometimes I think we as normal working people only see the glamorous side of these athletes life. Yes they do make alot of money. But for how long and at what sacrifice to their home lives? Most of these guys put special time with their family on hold until they retire. Then when their playing time is over which is usally mid 30s they cant even go for a jog in the park or play tennis with their kids because they physically cant. How many of us would actually consider going to work for free instead of attending a game for one of our children?

Some may say that a player may owe it to the NFL because they gave them so much, imo that is not valid they worked for everything they got if the owners did not have money to spend they wouldnt have paid it. Even with the high salaries they recieve things that alot of people recieve with their jobs such as decent dental coverage these athletes dont get 1 check up and one cleaning thats it.

The NFL put the whole show together and requested the attendees. They could have paid for all of them with the money they recieved from a few commercials. I think that they all should have been given a fair piece of the profit generated from their show it was after all each of these individuals who produced these great moments.

Last edited by steelerbackr4life; 02-03-2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: i cant type
steelerbackr4life is offline   Reply With Quote