Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-03-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers' Rooney praised for 'rule'

Steelers' Rooney praised for 'rule'

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 3, 2007

MIAMI -- A day after the NFL players union's top-ranking official credited Dan Rooney for "not only talking the talk but walking the walk," commissioner Roger Goodell also hailed what the Steelers' chairman has done to provide more opportunities for minorities in the NFL.

But, Goodell added during a question-and-answer session Friday, "I hope some day (the Rooney Rule) is not going to be necessary."

The subject of race and by extension the Rooney Rule, a requirement that teams interview at least one minority candidate when they have a head coaching vacancy, has generated its share of discussion leading up to Super Bowl XLI.

The two Super Bowl teams are led by African-American coaches, Indianapolis' Tony Dungy and Chicago's Lovie Smith, and before this year there had never been an African-American head coach in the Super Bowl.

A day after Dungy's and Smith's teams won their respective conference championship games to advance to the Super Bowl, the Steelers hired an African-American to succeed Bill Cowher as head coach.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the National Football League Players Association, praised the Steelers' hiring of Mike Tomlin on Thursday as well as Rooney during his opening remarks at a NFLPA news conference.

Said Goodell, "the Rooney Rule worked very well for Dan Rooney and the Steelers because they went out and (identified) a very wide group of coaches and they found one that they might not have been looking at."

Rooney, who heads the NFL's diversity committee, said the day Tomlin officially became the Steelers' head coach -- he got the job over former Steelers assistant head coach Russ Grimm -- that the team had not gotten any pressure from the league to hire a minority.

That the Rooney Rule still generates so much attention, Rooney said, is a sign that there is progress to be made in the area of minorities and head coaching opportunities.

"The one thing that Roger said that was very true: Let's hope that soon we don't have to be talking about the Rooney Rule or any other rule," Rooney said.

Dungy agreed.

"We hope there's a time when the Rooney Rule does become obsolete," Dungy said earlier this week. "The thing it has done is it's really slowed the hiring process down and made people investigate a lot of different candidates, and I think that's key."

Just as in coaching, Rooney said, the league is also working toward creating more opportunities for minorities in front-office positions.

He does not foresee nor advocate the Rooney Rule also being applied to teams' searches for positions in management.

"The front office and coaches are different," Rooney said.

The biggest difference may be that NFL teams are more likely to go outside of the organization when they hire a head coach than when they hire someone for a front-office position.

"We think that there are people that have been with you for a long time. They should move up," Rooney said. "It's not the same as (with coaches)."

Goodell said the spirit of the Rooney Rule has helped create more opportunities for minorities in front offices.

"The whole basis of the Rooney Rule was to make sure we have the best possible people in those positions - whether it's coaching or front office or anything associated with the NFL," Goodell said. "We want to have a sophisticated process - open, diverse so we can find the best possible candidates to fill those positions."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_491602.html
Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Steelers' Rooney praised for 'rule'

Did you know that both coaches in the SuperBowl are black for the very first time ever???????????? Thought I would mention it in case you haven't heard............................................. ....................
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

dumbest rule ever created.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
SteelersTilIDie
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4943

I think it is a good rule. SOme great coaches would not be in the nfl if it werent for this rule. It is ridiculous that minority coaches arent rated as highly as white ones, but it gives opportunities to minority coaches that they normally wouldnt get
SteelersTilIDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I also think it is a good rule. Mike Tomlin wouldn't be here if that rule wasn't created, I believe he would be considered that minority party. It shows that the NFL has some fairness in the way it operates and I give the Rooney's credit and respect for making such a rule.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Isn't there already a law that states an emplyoyer can't discriminate against race, color, sex, or whatever? Why did the NFL need a special rule??
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

It bothers me that they make a big deal about it.....hire the best guy...whether he's white,black,yellow or red....

-just hire the best guy..... and I think thats what the STEELERS did!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #8
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV STEELERS 723 View Post
It bothers me that they make a big deal about it.....hire the best guy...whether he's white,black,yellow or red....

-just hire the best guy..... and I think thats what the STEELERS did!

But, you never know. There could be some organizations that do descriminate, although I'm not really sure who, so I guess it was made so in case it's obvious someone does, they get punishment for it. Either way, I think we needed this rule.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
rhino
Water Boy

Member Number: 4784

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Steelers' Rooney praised for 'rule'

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 3, 2007

MIAMI -- A day after the NFL players union's top-ranking official credited Dan Rooney for "not only talking the talk but walking the walk," commissioner Roger Goodell also hailed what the Steelers' chairman has done to provide more opportunities for minorities in the NFL.
This concerns me and makes me feel like the Rooney's might have been hoping for this sort of response for "walking the walk" when it came to their own rule.

Did they pass up Wiz because they wanted this "Rooney Rule" praise? Did they really want Grimm but pass him up for the same reason?

We'll never know now but the more of this kind of thing I hear, the more it makes me wonder and I don't like second guessing my favorite team - but now I'm going to until I see what Tomlin brings to the field.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:15 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
This concerns me and makes me feel like the Rooney's might have been hoping for this sort of response for "walking the walk" when it came to their own rule.

Did they pass up Wiz because they wanted this "Rooney Rule" praise? Did they really want Grimm but pass him up for the same reason?

We'll never know now but the more of this kind of thing I hear, the more it makes me wonder and I don't like second guessing my favorite team - but now I'm going to until I see what Tomlin brings to the field.
I can understand this point, but I think there are too many parallels between Tomlin and our last 2 HC hires to feel that his hiring was just a matter of the Rooneys "walking the walk." Tomlin is coming in as a very young, relatively unknown DC - Cowher and Noll both fit that description when they started as well.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote