Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-05-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Peyton Manning, disciple of Chuck Noll!

This from Peter King's MMQ:

Quote:
During the week, Manning said something at one of those massive press conference that I couldn't get out of my head Sunday night, watching him complete 25 of 38 for 247 yards with one touchdown and one interception. An MVP night, the Super Bowl MVP voters decreed. He explained: "Chuck Noll said, 'Pressure is something you feel only when you don't know what you are doing.' That's how I feel. I get prepared. I prepare as hard as I possibly can. Sure you feel nervous, you feel anxious, but I don't feel pressure because I feel that I have done everything I could to be prepared for that game. There have been plenty of games where I have said that I wish that I could have this throw back or I wish that I would have seen that linebacker, but it just didn't happen. But I have never left the field saying I could have done more to get ready for that game. That gives me peace of mind.''

Waiting for his brother after the game, Cooper Manning said, "I thought he played like it wasn't raining.''

Champions play like it isn't raining when it is.
Entire article
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047
Default Re: Peyton Manning, disciple of Chuck Noll!

interesting.. you know Dungy's the one who passed it on to him ...maybe I should stop calling him a "tool" all the time

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,015 Posts

i commented on this in the "superbowl talk" thread. manning said this on tuesdays "media day" and i had a real good feeling about his chances going into this game, with his mind set. i definitely didnt see any pressure getting to him.

you gotta love the way dungy used his experinces with the steelers and chuck noll as inspiration. he told the team (particularly the reserves) how he was in position to make some critical plays on special teams against the cowboys in 79. although you may not be a starter you can influence the out come of a game. this can be seen in nick harper's back up making his 1st interception and scoring his 1st TD in his 2 years in the league.

i also liked how dungy emphasized the cowherism "dont focus on the destination, but enjoy the journey to get there".
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Very interesting...

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i commented on this in the "superbowl talk" thread. manning said this on tuesdays "media day" and i had a real good feeling about his chances going into this game, with his mind set. i definitely didnt see any pressure getting to him.

you gotta love the way dungy used his experinces with the steelers and chuck noll as inspiration. he told the team (particularly the reserves) how he was in position to make some critical plays on special teams against the cowboys in 79. although you may not be a starter you can influence the out come of a game. this can be seen in nick harper's back up making his 1st interception and scoring his 1st TD in his 2 years in the league.

i also liked how dungy emphasized the cowherism "dont focus on the destination, but enjoy the journey to get there".
I missed that Tony, I was wondering how it hadn't been remarked on, and now I see it had been.

I get wrapped up a lot in the cults of personality that surround the players sometimes. I get wrapped up in the Manning overexposure. I was thinking about this quote though, and you know who it reminded me of? Jack Ham. The guy was always 100% prepared for every game. Now, the personalities are different; but the approach to the game is that same, that cerebral 100% prepared attitude that makes a winner. If Ham was a quarterback, he'd have played like Manning does.

Tom
Old 02-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
sumo
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I missed that Tony, I was wondering how it hadn't been remarked on, and now I see it had been.

I get wrapped up a lot in the cults of personality that surround the players sometimes. I get wrapped up in the Manning overexposure. I was thinking about this quote though, and you know who it reminded me of? Jack Ham. The guy was always 100% prepared for every game. Now, the personalities are different; but the approach to the game is that same, that cerebral 100% prepared attitude that makes a winner. If Ham was a quarterback, he'd have played like Manning does.

Tom
Tom - just made the post of the day - Lambert is the greatest MLB of all time - who is the most overlooked linebacker of all time because he played next to Lambert? -- Jack Ham - he was the greatest - I always said he played like he was in the other team's huddle - the guy never got rattled - he played the pass as well as the run, he could cover speed, blitz well, the guy did it all. hands down - my favorite steeler of all time -I wore his number and played his position during all my football years...I do have a hard time comparing him to Manning though..

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
Old 02-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,280 Times in 2,880 Posts

Here is another statement from Manning regarding his commitment to preparation:

Now that he's a Super Bowl-winning quarterback, Manning vows to not fall into a pattern of some other quarterbacks. Manning calls it, "Getting the pass." The pass is a Super Bowl quarterback who watches his play the next season drop off for whatever reason and accepts that.

"I don't want to get the pass," Manning said. "I want to be accountable each and every year. Next year, our goal is be a better quarterback. I feel I should be because of the experience I gained this year."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playof...t&lid=tab1pos1

For some reason I don't think Manning is referring to Tom Brady when he talks about a Super Bowl QB "getting the pass." Wonder who he might be referring to?

My impression is Dungy and Manning are going to be taking a much different approach to defending their title than Cowher and Ben did with presumably better results.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Yeah but Manning has never had the bulls-eye on his back. So we'll see how well he handles that type of pressure. Something tells me that although they may not be looking for the pass, by week 14 they'll be given it!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumo View Post
I do have a hard time comparing him to Manning though..
But in the way they prepare for and approach the game; that's where I see the similarity.

Lambert couldn't have been Lambert without Ham. Do you remember, it used to be said that it was suicide to call a screen pass to Ham's side of the field? Teams just wouldn't do it.

He was always one of my favorite players, too.

Tom
Old 02-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #10
sumo
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post

Lambert couldn't have been Lambert without Ham. Do you remember, it used to be said that it was suicide to call a screen pass to Ham's side of the field? Teams just wouldn't do it.

Tom
you are correct - he was the master against screens - I remember a game against Cleveland one time - crucial third down - screen to Pruitt - as soon as he caught the ball, Ham comes flying in between his two blockers - perfect form hit drives him backwards into the turf - loss of eight yards on the play...I used to tell everybody on my high school team that I was Jack Ham - once when we were reviewing film after a game, my coach said "now if you were really Jack Ham..you wouldn't have gotten beaten so bad on this play..." of course the whole team had a nice laugh at my expense...