Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Peter King: Roethlisberger 11th Among Active Quarterbacks??????

I really like Peter King and read his columns faithfully, but today's Tuesday Edition was just too much:

"FAVRE, ACCORDING TO BRANDON, SHOULD NOT COME BACK, I GUESS. From Brandon, of London: 'Let's get a little more opinion on Favre, the Teflon man. Where would you rank him among starting QBs in the league? While I don't know your answer, I will preemptively say that it seems pretty low ranking, considering his age and that the Packers are a rebuilding team. Rice was still having "fun" too, and everyone thought he should retire.''

Where would I rank Favre right now? Okay, here we go. I say 10. My order:

1. Peyton Manning. 2. Tom Brady. 3. Drew Brees. 4. Carson Palmer. 5. Marc Bulger. 6. Matt Hasselbeck. 7. Philip Rivers. 8. Donovan McNabb. 9. Tony Romo. 10. Brett Favre. 11. Ben Roethlisberger. 12. Matt Leinart. 13. Vince Young. 14. Chad Pennington. 15. Jay Cutler.

That ought to get the arguments started."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...6/super/1.html

Is he KIDDING? Marc Bulger and Tony Romo are ranked above Ben???? Well, as he said, it'll get the arguments started, all right. Sheesh.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Peter King: Roethlisberger 11th Among Active Quarterbacks??????

WHAT?! He is no farther down then #5
what was he smokin when he made that artical?!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
I really like Peter King and read his columns faithfully, but today's Tuesday Edition was just too much:

"FAVRE, ACCORDING TO BRANDON, SHOULD NOT COME BACK, I GUESS. From Brandon, of London: 'Let's get a little more opinion on Favre, the Teflon man. Where would you rank him among starting QBs in the league? While I don't know your answer, I will preemptively say that it seems pretty low ranking, considering his age and that the Packers are a rebuilding team. Rice was still having "fun" too, and everyone thought he should retire.''

Where would I rank Favre right now? Okay, here we go. I say 10. My order:

1. Peyton Manning. 2. Tom Brady. 3. Drew Brees. 4. Carson Palmer. 5. Marc Bulger. 6. Matt Hasselbeck. 7. Philip Rivers. 8. Donovan McNabb. 9. Tony Romo. 10. Brett Favre. 11. Ben Roethlisberger. 12. Matt Leinart. 13. Vince Young. 14. Chad Pennington. 15. Jay Cutler.

That ought to get the arguments started."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...6/super/1.html

Is he KIDDING? Marc Bulger and Tony Romo are ranked above Ben???? Well, as he said, it'll get the arguments started, all right. Sheesh.
I don't have a problem with that list except for Romo who had a stretch of about 3 or 4 good games, but you don't get a top 10 rating off a few games.

Bulger is a very good QB on a team without an oline...seriously they cannot pass protect worth a crap
Old 02-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

fair is fair romo didn't play many games. ben has 3 years in and already two championship games
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
BOXCAR JOEY
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 3729

honestly thats a personal opinion of one person. true ranking is in the stats that a player produces for the season, unlike thats guys popularity contest rank.

WIN OR LOSE.........I still bleed black and gold.
Http://www.Myspace.com/Trappedinemerica
BOXCAR JOEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Assuming that Peter is basing his rankings on the quarterback's collective body of work (as opposed to only last season), I certainly have no quibble with Manning, Brady, and probably McNabb. Maybe even Brees. I still don't understand why everyone puts Carson Palmer in the upper echelons at this point in time. Does his body of work support it? I don't think so. I'd absolutely rank Brett Favre above Romo, Rivers, Hasselbeck and Bulger. The troubles of the last two seasons aside, those four combined aren't fit to shine Favre's shoes in terms of all he's accomplished in his career. Of course Ben struggled last season (as did the entire team), but in my opinion his collective body of work should put him no lower than about 6.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:56 AM   #7
BOXCAR JOEY
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 3729

i agree. i cant see palmer being up there. he has some numbers but not enough to rank him that high

WIN OR LOSE.........I still bleed black and gold.
Http://www.Myspace.com/Trappedinemerica
BOXCAR JOEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
Newzfoxjr
Starter

Member Number: 4116

Palmer should be lower, Ben should be higher, etc.

Matt Leinart is better than Pennington? That's kind of weird...I haven't seen Leinart play much though.
Newzfoxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
Assuming that Peter is basing his rankings on the quarterback's collective body of work (as opposed to only last season), I certainly have no quibble with Manning, Brady, and probably McNabb. Maybe even Brees. I still don't understand why everyone puts Carson Palmer in the upper echelons at this point in time. Does his body of work support it? I don't think so. I'd absolutely rank Brett Favre above Romo, Rivers, Hasselbeck and Bulger. The troubles of the last two seasons aside, those four combined aren't fit to shine Favre's shoes in terms of all he's accomplished in his career. Of course Ben struggled last season (as did the entire team), but in my opinion his collective body of work should put him no lower than about 6.
That's a very good way of putting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #10
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzfoxjr View Post
Palmer should be lower, Ben should be higher, etc.

Matt Leinart is better than Pennington? That's kind of weird...I haven't seen Leinart play much though.
I saw Leinart play in every game he started except 1 - he is good - he had protection problems, but he played with a lot of poise for a rookie - I would say he's much better than Pennington - if Whiz is able to solve their Oline problems this next year, Lienart will really take off - he actually reminds me of Ben...

Speaking of Ben, the only reason he is all the way down to 11 is simple - interceptions - I'm one of Ben's biggest fans, but let's be honest - he threw some bad red zone pics this year ...but I think this is a problem he will fix and he will have his best year in 2007

King is probably basing these rankings off of last season and what he thinks they will be able to do in 2007 - what other measure should he use? - you can't make Favre #1 just because he leads all active QBs in yardage, TDs, etc - I do think Ben had a better year than Romo and what is McNabb doing up there - he barely played and who knows how he will recover from his injury? I would rank Ben about 7 or 8 at this point, but I'm sure he will prove me wrong next season...

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006

Last edited by sumo; 02-06-2007 at 12:40 PM.
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote