Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Arians streamlines offensive playbook

Arians warms to task in a hurry
New coordinator cuts playbook's size

Wednesday, February 07, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bruce Arians, the Steelers' new offensive coordinator, knows how to keep warm in his new office these frigid February days. He has thrown the thick, old, patchwork playbook on the fire.

He promises the new model to be sleek, trimmed down and easy to understand for his players, particularly quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Yet he will add some personal touches, such as playing four receivers on first and second downs without putting the quarterback in a shotgun formation.

The old playbook dates to 1992, when Ron Erhardt conceived it as Bill Cowher's first offensive coordinator. As coordinators changed, they did not scrap the original but added their own stuff until it grew to become almost unwieldy.

"Bill had six or seven coordinators; the playbook is six or seven languages hodge-podged together," said Arians, promoted by new coach Mike Tomlin from his previous post as wide receivers coach. "They just kept adding because Bill kept it that way. We're going to streamline it into one language, and I hope to simplify it for our players."

Fans won't necessarily see the adjustments he makes to the offense, Arians said, but they will notice one of them. Previous offenses under Cowher rarely used more than two or three wide receivers on first and second downs, preferring to use them mostly on obvious third-down passing situations with the quarterback dropping into the shotgun.

The new offense under Arians will sometimes start with four wide receivers on first-and-10 with the quarterback under center.

"The butt part of it won't change, as is the case with most generic NFL teams," Arians said. "But I love four wideouts. I like a better running game out of four wideouts where we can utilize them on first and second down, rather than just being in a shotgun and throwing it all the time. That will be an area we want to develop."

Arians took note of the offense of the Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts. He was Peyton Manning's quarterbacks coach with the Colts his first three years.

"When you think of the Colts, you think of a finesse offense, but, when they came down the stretch in the playoffs, they had 100 to 150 yards rushing in every game. It's just a different style.

"You don't have to line up with two tight ends and two backs to run the football. Rushing yards are rushing yards."

Tomlin said he is a proponent of running the ball and stopping the run, and Arians acknowledged that he advocates that as well, back to when he was head coach at Temple in the 1980s.

"I think, to the naked eye, it will look very similar," Arians said of his offense compared to Ken Whisenhunt's. "You strive for balance. I'm not a guy who's going to beat my head against the wall to run it; I love to run the football.

"I think people who check my history when I was the head coach at Temple, I had a little running back who led the nation in rushing, Paul Palmer. He was runner-up for the Heisman, and that's hard to do at Temple.

"I love to run the football and I like the play-action passing game, and there are games that's not to your advantage."

Arians was the coordinator in Cleveland from 2001-03, including the Jan. 5, 2003 playoff game between the Browns and Steelers at Heinz Field. Cleveland scored 33 points through the first 50 minutes of the game and held a 12-point lead with a little more than three minutes left, but lost, 36-33.

Browns quarterback Kelly Holcomb threw for 429 yards and three touchdowns, but the Browns rushed for just 38 yards (the Steelers were held to 89 yards rushing).

"We knew coming down it was going to be really tough sledding running the ball," Arians said.

"But we had a good matchup in the passing game. It was a muddy field, our quarterback didn't mind the elements. That's to your advantage -- there's no pass rush on that field. He threw for 429, and we should have won the game."

It's a game of adjustments, and that's what Arians promises to adhere to as the Steelers' coordinator.

"You have to scratch where it itches," he said.

"When it's all said and done, you'd like to be balanced. One of the best stats I've ever seen was about Joe Gibbs, in his heyday. I think he called 20-some thousand plays -- 10 thousand, 50 something passes and 10 thousand runs."

Bruce Arians -- You strive for balance. I'm not a guy who's going to beat my head against the wall to run it; I love to run the football."

And, most important of all, three Super Bowl victories.

NOTES -- When the Steelers hire a new quality control coach on offense, he will have other duties as well, Arians said. He also will serve as the assistant offensive line coach to new line coach Larry Zierlein. Arians said he believes in two offensive line coaches. The Steelers have an opening for a quality control coach after Matt Raich was permitted to resign to join Whisenhunt's staff as quality control coach of Arizona's defense and also assistant linebackers coach. Plum native Mike Miller, the Steelers' former quality control coach who was on the staff at Robert Morris after joining the Bills' staff under Mike Mularkey, might have been a candidate here, but Whisenhunt recently hired him for that job in Arizona.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #2
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900
Default Re: Arians streamlines offensive playbook

You go back and watch some of those early 90's games and you will see that Erhardt did run 4 and 5 wides with O'Donnel.

The thing I don't like hearing is running the ball out of 4 wides. I guess I like having a lead FB when running the ball. Just like with Tomlin, I will give all this new stuff a chance and hope it all goes well.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:36 AM   #3
sumo
Team Captain

Member Number: 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
You go back and watch some of those early 90's games and you will see that Erhardt did run 4 and 5 wides with O'Donnel.

The thing I don't like hearing is running the ball out of 4 wides. I guess I like having a lead FB when running the ball. Just like with Tomlin, I will give all this new stuff a chance and hope it all goes well.
yep - a lot of it in the Super Bowl even with John L Williams as the sole runningback - yeah I wonder what they will do with Williams back there? - he's such a big run threat - I used to freakin yell at the tv every time Earhardt did that shit - I actually think it could work ok with a back like Parker or even Najeh - but only as a change up - he sounds like he's aiming for the Indy Pittsburgh Steelers..

"The Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ..the Bears are who we thought they were!!!! ...you wanna crown their a--, then crown'em..." Dennis Green - voted Best Damn Quote by Fox Sports and Sumo-2006
sumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

This last season was so poorly called the defenses new what we were going to do 90% of the time. So coming out in a 4 wr set to spread the defense out, not only gives 1st priority to the run but gives ben that chance to audible off to a pass if he sees the defense in a position to take advantage of. A little change here to make the other teams think more before they play us and keep them guessing is a good thing.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 AM   #5
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

I like what I read. Cut away some of the old stuff and breathe life into some successful play calling from the past. Should make Ben a better QB and the offense wont seem so predictable for the most part.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Should be interesting to see how the 4 wide looks in application - its a look that New England have favored over the last few years...at certain times.

I would presume that the Steelers will be looking at another WR in the draft.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I wouldn't presume they're looking for a WR in the draft. They've got a nice collection in-house already.

But I like what Arian's is saying. He's not putting down the old regime but instead he's looking to build on his own understanding, recognizing the talent he has, and putting it to good use. I'm excited to see what he does with the slimmed down model!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #8
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Im not sure they have a nice collection
Hines, Holmes........and from there they are questionable...
Hopefully Ried could be somethin this year
Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Yup Hines is a good receiver, Holmes come along in leaps and bounds in the last half of his rookie year.

As for the rest, I dont think much of them - Ben will have to discover new levels of accuracy to find those lot on a regular basis.

Also, if they are going 4 WR and 1 RB where exactly does that leave Mr Heath Miller?

Will he be one of the '4 wide'?

It would also put alot of emphasis on a struggling O-line if he weren't in there to help out.

I would also expect Ben's ypa to come down - with 4 wide and less blocking you are probably going to have to take the underneath option a little more often.

We'll get to see how good Ben is at checking down.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I like the idea of 4 wide alot in the sense that like many have stated we were a tad predictible. I believe this is a good set for FWP to bust some big runs and for Ben in playaction. It will help us spread defenses out, possibly a game plan for the Ravens. It is great to be versatile and it does not mean that we are abandoning the run. Simplifying the playbook language should help everyone get on the same page quicker in this time of transition.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote