Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #21
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,165 Times in 3,484 Posts
Default Re: Arians streamlines offensive playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Going back to Eric Green, a hardy perennial to start every season is that the Steelers are going to throw more to the TE, after which they never do. I will wait until November or so before I conclude 2007 will be any different.

With Willie Parker's style of running, the Foster/Morris/Bettis model of ball control running was broken. Since Parker certainly is not (and should not) be going anywhere, something has to change, although since Arians cannot block his edited playbook will be of little value unless the OL steps up.
teams like the chargers, eagles, and patriots seem to have no problem plugging in offensive linemen and not missing a beat. hell, even indy had that rookie step in for diem when he went down in the sb and he did fine. im hoping a trimmed down playbook could make it easier to rotate and replace lineman and not have them eat up such a large portion of our salary cap in the coming years. Being former TE's and TE coaches, mularkey and whiz seemed to have a certain philosophy of what a te's role should be in the offense (seen with miller, but especially with breuner).

with a former wr and qb coach calling the plays i hope the philosophy changes a bit and the te is looked at i bit more of a pass catcher/wr, and less of a blocker/ol.

if i were the rooneys, when interviewing for a HC, 2 things i would want to hear from the candidates is "i will make heath miller and ike taylor more productive, and i will get more production from the rookies". hopefully this is what tomlin aims to do.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,251 Times in 3,253 Posts

For better or worse the common thread in the Steelers use (or non-use) of the TE was Cowher. Brueuner was turned into a third tackle at least going back to when he blew out his knee in a 1996 Monday night game, so add Gailey, Sherman, and Gilbride to the list of OCs that ignored the tight end as a passing threat even though post-Erhardt the stated mission of the OC was to open up the offense.

After 2003 I know Cowher wanted to return to basics and pound the ball, but the early big plays in the Colts playoff win were to Miller, whom the Colts justifiably ignored.

The plan may have been to use Miller more in 2006, but last season was such a complete cluster of miscues that it is no surprise Miller was left out of the mix.

The more I think about it the more distressing it is that in hindsight the 2006 team clearly was not ready to play most of the time on both sides of the ball - that goes back to the coaches in general and the HC in particular, who had other things on his mind.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 02-07-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #23
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I like what I'm hearing from Ariens and changing the language in the play-book is the best move. I think Ben will thrive in this offense and so will Willie Parker. I would love to see on first down the defense spread out and handing off to Willie Parker.

As for the Steelers adding another WR. No WR isn't a big need but lets say that Dwayne Bowe from LSU or Ted Ginn JR are the best players available at the 15 spot I would trade down as a first option but if there is no takers then draft Bowe or Ginn.

Bowe is an excellent route runner and would give the Steelers some height at WR. Plus Bowe can block which is important in being a Steelers WR. As for Ginn. Teaming him with Holmes would give the Steelers some serious speed.

Then there is the wild card in Willie Reid. I mainly hope he becomes the return guy we all were hoping he would be become. But if he can improve as a WR then that would add to the Steelers WR core also.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #24
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I wouldn't presume they're looking for a WR in the draft. They've got a nice collection in-house already.

But I like what Arian's is saying. He's not putting down the old regime but instead he's looking to build on his own understanding, recognizing the talent he has, and putting it to good use. I'm excited to see what he does with the slimmed down model!!!

That's all you can ask an OC to do!
Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #25
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
I like what I'm hearing from Ariens and changing the language in the play-book is the best move. I think Ben will thrive in this offense and so will Willie Parker. I would love to see on first down the defense spread out and handing off to Willie Parker.

As for the Steelers adding another WR. No WR isn't a big need but lets say that Dwayne Bowe from LSU or Ted Ginn JR are the best players available at the 15 spot I would trade down as a first option but if there is no takers then draft Bowe or Ginn.

Bowe is an excellent route runner and would give the Steelers some height at WR. Plus Bowe can block which is important in being a Steelers WR. As for Ginn. Teaming him with Holmes would give the Steelers some serious speed.

Then there is the wild card in Willie Reid. I mainly hope he becomes the return guy we all were hoping he would be become. But if he can improve as a WR then that would add to the Steelers WR core also.
I like Willie Reid too. He had flashes last pre-season that showed he can play much bigger than his size and he seems unafraid. Also interesting read on Cowher's multi-volume playbook. I wonder if this new insight into the Cowher regime is just the beginning.

But I'd be livid to say the least if we take a WR in the first two rounds or even at all. IMHO we have more fundamental issues to resolve. If we don't give Ben more time then it won't matter who wearing Black and Gold is supposed to be catching the ball.

The question I pose to the idea that we can't win a Super Bowl without better receivers is "Who won XL?" Let's fold the ARE card before that is even played because I don't buy it.
We wouldn't have won XL without the play of our offensive line though.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I think this may be the best thing for Ben and comp.

1. They will not have to work themselves through what seems like hundreds of plays in 5 different types of schemes.

2. They will be able to make more/different adjustments. Go to Baltimore... they keeping sacking Ben after 3 seconds? Great. Throw 2 yard patterns out of 4 wide. When they back off into a zone, give it to willie. Line up 4 wide and run willie down the middle as a 5th receiver. etc. etc. So many more adjustments. Furthermore, we have BLOCKING RECEIVERS. So you can line up 5 wide, with Heath as a Wide out. Then bring him in motion, and have him go up the middle as a Full back with Willie behind him. Run Hines out of the slot, on a cross, to pick up the LB. This kind of thinking leaves SO MANY OPTIONS.

3. Lining up 4 and 5 wide takes pressure off of our O Line... cause either Ben has an open man to throw to, or the line only has 3 or 4 men to block.

4. JEROME BETTIS IS GONE. So let's scheme for the future... not the past.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #27
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
I like Willie Reid too. He had flashes last pre-season that showed he can play much bigger than his size and he seems unafraid. Also interesting read on Cowher's multi-volume playbook. I wonder if this new insight into the Cowher regime is just the beginning.

But I'd be livid to say the least if we take a WR in the first two rounds or even at all. IMHO we have more fundamental issues to resolve. If we don't give Ben more time then it won't matter who wearing Black and Gold is supposed to be catching the ball.

The question I pose to the idea that we can't win a Super Bowl without better receivers is "Who won XL?" Let's fold the ARE card before that is even played because I don't buy it.
We wouldn't have won XL without the play of our offensive line though.
Haiku, I agree Oline and OLB are bigger needs then WR. I'm just saying if the best available at 15 is a WR like Bowe or Ginn. I think that would be a wise move from a value stand point. But I think trading down would be the best option if there were no Olineman or OLB worth taking at the 15th spot.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #28
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I think this may be the best thing for Ben and comp.

1. They will not have to work themselves through what seems like hundreds of plays in 5 different types of schemes.

2. They will be able to make more/different adjustments. Go to Baltimore... they keeping sacking Ben after 3 seconds? Great. Throw 2 yard patterns out of 4 wide. When they back off into a zone, give it to willie. Line up 4 wide and run willie down the middle as a 5th receiver. etc. etc. So many more adjustments. Furthermore, we have BLOCKING RECEIVERS. So you can line up 5 wide, with Heath as a Wide out. Then bring him in motion, and have him go up the middle as a Full back with Willie behind him. Run Hines out of the slot, on a cross, to pick up the LB. This kind of thinking leaves SO MANY OPTIONS.

3. Lining up 4 and 5 wide takes pressure off of our O Line... cause either Ben has an open man to throw to, or the line only has 3 or 4 men to block.

4. JEROME BETTIS IS GONE. So let's scheme for the future... not the past.
Great post Preacher. Preach on preach on.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #29
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
I think as LITP stated we can use Heath as a 4th WR in the 4 WR set. Does anyone think Dallas Clark is a better TE or better siuted for that than Heath?(hell no) You can line up in a 3 WR set then shift to 4 wide. I don't believe there are many LB's that can cover Heath, and if an additional CB is brought in we spring FWP. I really like this idea and believe we have the WR's in Ward, Holmes, Washington and Wilson or Reid (you notice I put Nate 3rd and not Wilson) or as stated above Heath. Imagine the blocking with Ward and Heath on run plays out of that set. We all have stated we need Heath more involved in the passing game, this could be one way to do that.
DACEB

You hit the nail on the head! This maybe a big assumption but I too hope this means Heath will take on a bigger role in the passing game as the 4th receiver. Based on the Indy model, I think this is a gain for the running attack as well. If you don't remember take a look at SB XLI again; Dallas Clark was extremely effective blocking as the inside receiver. Similar to Clark, Heath (candy bars ) would pose a big problem for most LB's to cover. I think we'll see him exploit the soft areas in zone coverage and force defenses to keep honest and not throw 8 or nine in the box. Which means more space for fast Willie too.

I like it, I like it a lot!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #30
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I like this move. We have just been too predictable the last few years. It will be interesting to see which 4 WRs line up.

Hines
Holmes
Washington
Miller or Draft Pick?
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote