Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Re: deshea townsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity58 View Post
Maybe you guys actually in Pittsburgh know something I don't, but I don't know why Ike was demoted from his starting position. The games I saw him play in, he played well, didn't get beat deep or have any glaring bad plays.

Townsend?

He's been pretty solid imo.

The Steelers have had better CB's but they have also had worse.

Much worse.

Taylor was beat deep several times in the Denver game, which sent him to the bench, after Cowher had screamed at him on several occassions in other games for giving up 1st downs by playing too far off the receiver on third down (Jax game is one screamfest I recall).

I get the impression Taylor was simply regarded by Cowher as not giving the mental and physical effort expected of someone with his contract, which resulted in him getting a seat on the bench.

Towards the end of the season Taylor indicated he thought he was being scapegoated. Since Porter, Simmons and Starks had rotten seasons but were not benched like Taylor, IMHO Taylor must have done something to really tick off Cowher.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #12
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I think Deshea may be that guy who you put back as FS (either starter or backup) and let him have free reign over the middle. It would make up for his slowing speed and he could come up and "Jack Up" the receiver!

However, with some of the talent we have on the team, it may be time to cut the loses and move on with a mid-round selection in the draft to fill his spot. Someone who has the hunger, someone like Anthony Smith who will knock someone's head off!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #13
axlbundy
Water Boy

Member Number: 1469

I was getting down on Deshea a little myself last year, until Ike started having some bad games. Now I feel like if we can keep Deshea for a cheap price he could provide some excellent veteran leadership for Ike and McFadden
axlbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #14
Max Power
Water Boy

Member Number: 1344

Depth is the key to this one. Townsend has been here long enough. If he is left to be the starter, we will be in trouble. I just don't see it being that way.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #15
Stater136
Water Boy

Member Number: 2171

Quote:
Maybe you guys actually in Pittsburgh know something I don't, but I don't know why Ike was demoted from his starting position. The games I saw him play in, he played well, didn't get beat deep or have any glaring bad plays.
Seems to me that Ike is pretty good at covering a the receiver, just not at reacting to the ball. It's rare that he's actually out of position, but many of the plays are made simply because he can't find the ball while it's in the air and make a play on it.
Stater136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #16
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

If Ike could just catch the stupid ball he would be ok... for as much money as he is making he should buy some NEW HANDS
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #17
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I think he will be fine, I mean the whole team was off last year. I think he will do better with time.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-10-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
steeler614
Banned

Member Number: 5011

Townsend is washed up and got beat too many times, McFadden should be the starter. he is an upgrade, however Townsend would be a good backup, he has technique but is just too old and slow to be a starter anymore. I hope that Coke makes a full recovery as he is a good backup as well. as for Darren Perry good riddance, neither Coke or Taylor has developed with Perry as DB coach. we keep all 4 Taylor and McFadden as starters and Coke and Townsend as backups, as well as Jovon Johnson we should be set at CB and wouldn't need to draft one that is if Coke recovers.
steeler614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #19
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
It may be time to cut the loses and move on with a mid-round selection in the draft to fill his spot. Someone who has the hunger, someone like Anthony Smith who will knock someone's head off!!

Cb Tarell Brown (Texas) 6'0 200lbs
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #20
Steeldude
Living Legend

if they are going to allow porter to remain a starter then they should allow townsend too.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote