Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored
Default Re: What a Game!

We didn't see our 1st team O enough. What 10 plays we did see, they looked sluggish. But with Hines back I think that will change. Also, our 2nd team D needs alot of work.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 AM   #12
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Otstott
^ lol! Its crazy because I was going to turn the game off in the first 3 mins.
I had to after the 1st quarter, electrical storm.
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #13
Rush58
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
We didn't see our 1st team O enough. What 10 plays we did see, they looked sluggish. But with Hines back I think that will change. Also, our 2nd team D needs alot of work.
I agree with the 1st team offense being sluggish. There were a couple of bad throws by Big Ben and a drop ball. But in all fairness, the timing I believe was thrown off by the dominance of the defense and special teams. Our offense didn't get the ball until 5 minutes to go in the 1st quarter, I believe.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:01 PM   #14
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

Well, although I was very happy in the result, I was pretty disspoinated in the gameplay of our starters. Ben looked off, 2 throws over the middle reminded me way to much of the playoff games were he threw like that. It's only the first preseason game, so I'm not worried. The starting D, I thought got eaten up when they needed to get off the field. They would play great on 1st and 2nd down but on third McNabb exploited them up converting on 3rd and longs, thats worrisome to me.

What I did like was our our 2nd and 3rd string D line play.....showed a lot of promise. The one very very sour spot was Alonzo Jackson, they have done everything they can to get the guy to perform but he cant make plays on the field. They put him back to his collegiate position and still.....nothing. They were getting some interrior pressure while he was in the game, but.....do you really think thats caused by his play? I dont think so. The other guy I was a bit dissapointed in that I had really high hopes for was Ryan Wallace....he just looked.....slow and cumbersome out there, not the same player I watched at temple, I hope he was just nervous and tentative. He had a chance to blow up a screen play......but totally took the wrong angle and got eaten up by a pulling guard.....that led to a nice earful from cowhwer when he came off the field :)
Old 08-16-2005, 12:05 PM   #15
Rush58
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
They would play great on 1st and 2nd down but on third McNabb exploited them up converting on 3rd and longs, thats worrisome to me.
Actually, I think we gave them one on that 3rd and 17 b/c we went into a zone instead of blitzing.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:14 PM   #16
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

For a team hurting at the wide receiver position. Philly and McNabb did show us up a bit. McNabb 119 yards passing in the first quarter. I`m a little worried there.
Ben did looke shaky at best. I wish we could have seen more. He could have been picked twice.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #17
steelparrot
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicofBigBen
Actually, I think we gave them one on that 3rd and 17 b/c we went into a zone instead of blitzing.
yep i noticed that happened a couple of times. That wont happen in the regular season
Old 08-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #18
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,141 Posts

McNabb is not exactly chopped liver. McMahon is not bad either. We were playing a soft zone a lot and these guys hit the wideouts like they're supposed to. I'm sure when the real games start it will tighten up.

BTW, it is only one game, and it didn't count, and it sure was fun, but there's going to be a lot of playing between now and Detroit, so keep some powder dry. Onward and upward!
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #19
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369

I have never seen our special teams play that well. I hope this is not just a one game type thing but something that we can look forward too for the season. Every little bit helps
when you are looking to make the Drive for Five!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #20
Bamataco1
Water Boy

Member Number: 402

Our special teams were good and they actually should be every year being that Cowher was a special teams player and coach. You would think that it would be a trademark of the Steelers instead of a suprise.
The D looked good but it is much quicker and easier to get the d playing together and looking good than the offense.
I think that they should have played the first team O and Big Ben longer, he didn't get many snaps. Instead of playing these players for a quarter they should play them for a number of snaps. That way you would be sure that these guys got in enough playing time together.
Bamataco1 is offline   Reply With Quote