Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Steelers Intrigued by New Coach Tomlin

Ladies and gentlemen, the news just keeps getting better and better.....the wait until training camp seems almost endless right now!!!!!

Steelers intrigued by new coach Tomlin
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer , The Associated Press

Willie Parker can't wait to play for new Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Alan Faneca and Troy Polamalu are reserving judgment until they know a bit more about the man replacing Bill Cowher.

The Steelers' four Pro Bowl participants had divergent reactions to Pittsburgh's surprising decision last month to hire Tomlin, a 34-year-old with one season of experience as an NFL coordinator. The Steelers passed over veteran assistants Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt in the process, essentially guaranteeing a major overhaul of last season's champions.

"I wanted Russ to get the job," said Faneca, the Steelers' six-time Pro Bowl guard. "It's a guy we know, and a guy I'm experienced with. I hoped Russ would get that opportunity, but it didn't work out."

Whisenhunt and Grimm quickly left for the Arizona Cardinals, with Grimm serving as Whisenhunt's assistant head coach. Faneca knows the Steelers are unlikely to make another change in his career, since Tomlin is just Pittsburgh's third coach in 38 years.

"When Cowher retired, everybody in the league wanted two of our guys, so you'd think we would want at least one of them," said Faneca, and All-Pro this season. "But the Rooneys have a process they go through, and it's a good process. Hopefully it will work out for the best."

But Parker, the Steelers' rising running back on his first Pro Bowl trip, needed just one meeting with Tomlin to be sold.

"He made a hell of a first impression," Parker said. "He came and found me, and we had a big meeting in his office about what he expects out of me. He seems like a great guy, a tremendous guy. It's going to be really exciting to play for him."

Parker said he was bowled over by Tomlin's passion for football. Polamalu, Pittsburgh's three-time Pro Bowl safety who also met with Tomlin, is waiting to see what that intensity means.

"The first impression doesn't go too far in this world," Polamalu said. "It's about how you execute, and what you do with it. We'll see how things go once we really get down to work."

Faneca and defensive tackle Casey Hampton haven't yet met Tomlin, but Hampton also is looking forward to next season after speaking with Vikings defensive stars Kevin Williams and Pat Williams.

"I heard he's a real smart guy, very cool," Hampton said. "I don't know much yet, but it might be a real different experience."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=465816&rfi=6
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Intrigued by New Coach Tomlin

Troy certainly sounds like he can't wait to sign up for a long term contract renewal and be sure he gets to play out his career with Tomlin doesn't he?

Troy and Faneca both spoke from the heart but it does not seem as if either of them are wildly enthusiastic about the new regime - while realistic, a wait and see attitude is not exactly what you want to hear from 2 stars in the last year of their current contracts.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Well it doesn't matter what the players think. If they don't get aboard with Mike Tomlin. Then to hell with them. Its a new era in Pittsburgh so the players better get used to it. I'm glad Fast Willie has the right idea.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Sounds like some of the players like Faneca are holding judgement, guess that is to be expected.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

I chalk up the divergent comments to basic differences in human nature, that's all. Some people are naturally more reserved than others (Willie Parker has never fallen under the heading of reserved, LOL!). In fact, while I was reading the article and I read Troy's comment, my first thought was that it was exactly what I would have expected him to say. He definitely marches to his own beat -- remember the Gatorade "propaganda" comments? -- and really, he's 100% right. First impressions aren't always accurate. As much as we're all excited to hear what Coach Tomlin plans to do, the ultimate proof will be in how it all plays out.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Well it doesn't matter what the players think. If they don't get aboard with Mike Tomlin. Then to hell with them. Its a new era in Pittsburgh so the players better get used to it. I'm glad Fast Willie has the right idea.
Well, yeah it does matter. If Tomlin does not gain the respect of the stars on the team they can go elsewhere and it will be lot less than 15 years from now before AJR II holds his next press conference to announce the hiring of a new coach. Just ask the Giants how a team performs for a coach the players hate.

I wanted an outside hire but it is not surprising that the vets on a team that has been fairly successful are not thrilled a lot of the coaching staff is gone. The players need to be receptive to the new regime but it is not as if the old way of doing things, which Tomlin is going to replace, are not regarded by change resistant vets as needing to be replaced.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Well, yeah it does matter. If Tomlin does not gain the respect of the stars on the team they can go elsewhere and it will be lot less than 15 years from now before AJR II holds his next press conference to announce the hiring of a new coach. Just ask the Giants how a team performs for a coach the players hate.

I wanted an outside hire but it is not surprising that the vets on a team that has been fairly successful are not thrilled a lot of the coaching staff is gone. The players need to be receptive to the new regime but it is not as if the old way of doing things, which Tomlin is going to replace, are not regarded by change resistant vets as needing to be replaced.
Players can be replaced. I like Troy but he can go to hell if he is going to be a little bitch and not be happy with Tomlin as HC. Thats what I'm saying Bill Cowher is gone and these players better get used to that. As for Alan Faneca he is starting the downside of his career. No big deal if he leaves. He is still a very good LG but his prime years are probally behind him.

Agan Willie Parker has the right idea and the rest of the team should follow his example. By all accounts it sounds Hines Ward and Big Ben are happy with the hire of Tomlin. So I'm not as worried as you about the stars getting behind Mike Tomlin. Like I said the ones that don't then **** them.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

I respectfully will agree to disagree on this. In the free agent era it is a lot easier to replace coaches than players, as evidenced by the revolving door NFL HCs travel through these days.

In the pre-FA days you would never have heard a player like Faneca say to the press he wishes someone else got the HC job. But unless he gets injured, Faneca has a lot of options after 2007 and it is not as if this is the 70s Steelers brimming with backup talent to replace the current Pro Bowl members of the team.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,819 Times in 4,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Troy certainly sounds like he can't wait to sign up for a long term contract renewal and be sure he gets to play out his career with Tomlin doesn't he?

Troy and Faneca both spoke from the heart but it does not seem as if either of them are wildly enthusiastic about the new regime - while realistic, a wait and see attitude is not exactly what you want to hear from 2 stars in the last year of their current contracts.
lol. "steelers intrigued" was a definite poor choice of words by the author. so far it seems that tomlin is being accepted about as well ats the proverbial "red headed step child".

faneca has always been a hard sell. his matter-of-fact remarks are strikingly similar to those he made when t. maddox went down and he was asked if he was excited to play with a rookie qb.

willie parker seems to be the "bright eyed and bushy tailed" type of person, no matter what the situation.

its kind of refreshing to see that some of the players feel the same way about these wholesale changes as i do as a fan- kind of skeptical.

i guess the old coaching regime was like the "cool dad" who would share a brew with you every once in a while as a teenager. maybe not a conventional thing to do, but something an impressionable youth appreciated. (rusty griswold from "vacation" comes to mind). it is possible a little too much "beer drinking" was going on and the players are just worried about a more strict leader.

i can see why the players would run through a brick wall for cowher and his staff. but if 1st impressions mean anything i can see where tomlin can quickly win them over and soon have them just as enthusiastic to play for him. he definitely doesnt seem overwhelmed or intimidated by the challenge and knows what hes up against and that the players reactions are normal.

i hope im right, cause if i am, the steelers will just keep on keeping on and it should be a fairly smooth transition.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,819 Times in 4,477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Players can be replaced.
players CAN be replaced, by every team, every year. superbowl talent cannot. tomlin isnt going to win the games. the players are.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote