Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #11
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Steelers Intrigued by New Coach Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I respectfully will agree to disagree on this. In the free agent era it is a lot easier to replace coaches than players, as evidenced by the revolving door NFL HCs travel through these days.

In the pre-FA days you would never have heard a player like Faneca say to the press he wishes someone else got the HC job. But unless he gets injured, Faneca has a lot of options after 2007 and it is not as if this is the 70s Steelers brimming with backup talent to replace the current Pro Bowl members of the team.
Of course its easier to replace coaches. But Alan Faneca or Troy Polamalu won't be the last star players the Steelers lose in free agency. Just look at how many free agents Bill Cowher lost each year before Heinz Field opened in 2001? The Steelers still were a good team for the most part thanks to having a winner a HC. I think Tomlin is a winner and the Steelers will be fine in the long run with him even if all the stars don't stay.

The player just need to shut up and play football. Like I said let Faneca leave he is starting to get up there and his best years are behind him. I really wouldn't pay a ton of money to keep him like he is going to want. I like Troy and hope he is resigned. But if he is going to have an attitude over Tomlin being the HC then screw him. We can find another safety.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #12
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
players CAN be replaced, by every team, every year. superbowl talent cannot. tomlin isnt going to win the games. the players are.
Bill Cowher did fine with replacing players alot in his first 6 years Tony I would say. He made the play-offs in his first six years with him lossing free agents every year. I think Tomlin is going to be a very good HC. So I'm not as worried as some. Thats my point if certain players don't like Tomlin then screw them. You play your best no matter who the coach is. I didn't like my high school coach but I still gave him my all and respected him. Its part of playing the game.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #13
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Bill Cowher did fine with replacing players alot in his first 6 years Tony I would say. He made the play-offs in his first six years with him lossing free agents every year. I think Tomlin is going to be a very good HC. So I'm not as worried as some. Thats my point if certain players don't like Tomlin then screw them. You play your best no matter who the coach is. I didn't like my high school coach but I still gave him my all and respected him. Its part of playing the game.
It is simple. The Coach is the boss, the players are the workers. If the workers can't handle the boss, then they need to go somewhere else.

Now, I don't see that as the issue here. Can anyone show me a quote where Polamalu says ANYTHING positive OR negative... before he has THOROUGHLY thought about it? That is just the type of person he is. Read back over his comments. Basically he said, "Yeah, he has great intensity and makes a great impression... but so what. Let's wait until we see what he can actually do." In context, isn't that TYPICAL Polamalu?

And then for Fanaca... don't forget this quote, "But the Rooneys have a process they go through, and it's a good process. Hopefully it will work out for the best." So let's not paint this too drastic.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,108 Times in 4,597 Posts

Quote:
bill cowher did fine because he didnt piss away the talent he inherited and the steelers didnt get rid of players like dermonti dawson, rod woodson, or greg lloyd just because they took a "wait and see" appraoch with their new coach like our current players seem to be doing.

sure, tomlin could be a winner, but faneca and polamalu are proven winners. tomlin has won a superbowl, but he didnt do it without pro bowlers such as warren sapp, derrick brooks, john lynch, and ronde barber.

he wont be a winner on his name and potential alone and we cant expect him to luck out and draft a "tom brady" for every player who is let go.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #15
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
It is simple. The Coach is the boss, the players are the workers. If the workers can't handle the boss, then they need to go somewhere else.

Now, I don't see that as the issue here. Can anyone show me a quote where Polamalu says ANYTHING positive OR negative... before he has THOROUGHLY thought about it? That is just the type of person he is. Read back over his comments. Basically he said, "Yeah, he has great intensity and makes a great impression... but so what. Let's wait until we see what he can actually do." In context, isn't that TYPICAL Polamalu?

And then for Fanaca... don't forget this quote, "But the Rooneys have a process they go through, and it's a good process. Hopefully it will work out for the best." So let's not paint this too drastic.
fanecas, willies, and troys reactions are totally in synch with their personalities. they lost a great group of coaches. im sure they all wonder why cowher, grimm, and whiz were replaced.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #16
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
bill cowher did fine because he didnt piss away the talent he inherited and the steelers didnt get rid of players like dermonti dawson, rod woodson, or greg lloyd just because they took a "wait and see" appraoch with their new coach like our current players seem to be doing.

sure, tomlin could be a winner, but faneca and polamalu are proven winners. tomlin has won a superbowl, but he didnt do it without pro bowlers such as warren sapp, derrick brooks, john lynch, and ronde barber.
I know all this Tony. Just saying Cowher did lose players like Chad Brown but the Steelers always drafted smart and had a Jason Gildon waiting in the wings. Other players like Barry Foster left and Cowher singed Eric Pegrem and drafted Bam Morris. Bam ended up being a turd but that combo at RB was huge for the Steelers making it to the Super Bowl XXX. Then when Bam had his problems and another hole at RB emerged they traded for Jerome Bettis. The Steelers/Cowher were smart at replacing their/his losses. So hopefully Tomlin will just as smart.

All I'm saying I'm pumped as a fan with Mike Tomlin. I'm ready to suit up. These players that get paid millions should be just as pumped or even more. That was my point but like alawys people always read more into it.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #17
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

I'm not saying that Troy or Faneca will be problems. But there should be no doubt about Mike Tomlin. Lets see Russ Grimm as a HC thats just laughable. Have another beer Russ. You f'ing drunk. The Steelers dealt with doubt this past season with Cowher and is he coming back or not. I don't want to see another season go down the tubes especially with the talent this team has. So the players need to jump aboard quick since preparation for the 2007 will be starting come May/June with the mini camps.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #18
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:

All I'm saying I'm pumped as a fan with Mike Tomlin. I'm ready to suit up. These players that get paid millions should be just as pumped or even more. That was my point but like alawys people always read more into it.
well, i think people just dont want to see players like faneca, or troy to be kicked to the curb.

seattles offense wasnt the same without hutchinson (maybe his absence led to alexander and hasselbeck getting hurt), and the ravens defens wasnt nearly as effective without ed reed.

faneca and polamalu are very imprtant and we cant just piss them into the wind. if tomlin is as good as advertised, then it is HIS job, and HE is getting paid, to go and win them over and motivate them to be what we have already seen them prove they are. winners and champions. tomlin has got work to do too and has got to earn his keep. its a 2 way street, not "my way or the highway".

i think tomlin knows this and is up for the task.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #19
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
I'm not saying that Troy or Faneca will be problems. But there should be no doubt about Mike Tomlin. Lets see Russ Grimm as a HC thats just laughable. Have another beer Russ. You f'ing drunk. The Steelers dealt with doubt this past season with Cowher and is he coming back or not. I don't want to see another season go down the tubes especially with the talent this team has. So the players need to jump aboard quick since preparation for the 2007 will be starting come May/June with the mini camps.
Actually... I didn't think you were saying that.

And I too was hoping for someone to come from the outside. Mainly, because I thought they were getting WAY too comfortable. But then again, that is just me on the outside.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #20
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Faneca doesn't sound happy at all. Oh well, he will probably retire after next year anyway. No sense in letting some guy on his way out of the league have an impact on a decision that will last long after he is gone.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote