Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:36 PM   #21
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: Steelers Intrigued by New Coach Tomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
well, i think people just dont want to see players like faneca, or troy to be kicked to the curb.

seattles offense wasnt the same without hutchinson (maybe his absence led to alexander and hasselbeck getting hurt), and the ravens defens wasnt nearly as effective without ed reed.

faneca and polamalu are very imprtant and we cant just piss them into the wind. if tomlin is as good as advertised, then it is HIS job, and HE is getting paid, to go and win them over and motivate them to be what we have already seen them prove they are. winners and champions. tomlin has got work to do too and has got to earn his keep. its a 2 way street, not "my way or the highway".

i think tomlin knows this and is up for the task.
I understand and I agree Tony. But still there still be some loyalty to the Steelers organization. The Steelers gave these players the chance to play in the NFL and have rewarded Alan Faneca. Plus I think I would trust the Rooney's track record of picking coaches. I just don't want no doubt in the players mind. Don't you think the players had doubt with the whole Cowher saga this year and that maybe did play a part in the Steelers 8-8 season?

Hey I just want the Steelers to win and some players maybe having attitudes since the Rooney's didn't hire within the organization could be a major problem. I'm not saying they will but I don't want no TO or Randy Moss drama. If so then those players need to go.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:24 AM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Don't you think the players had doubt with the whole Cowher saga this year and that maybe did play a part in the Steelers 8-8 season?

Hey I just want the Steelers to win and some players maybe having attitudes since the Rooney's didn't hire within the organization could be a major problem. I'm not saying they will but I don't want no TO or Randy Moss drama. If so then those players need to go.
not only did the steelers have doubts about their sideline leader remaining with them, they had doubts of whether their new on the field leader would even survive his accident, let alone be able to ever be able to play football again. in the meantime they were supposed to enjoy being SB champs. i think not only were there lapses of focus, but there were many instances where players were playing outside of the system and trying too hard. everybody wanted to be the hero or savior.

i cant say that a new regime wont be as much of a distraction to the players. some players could have doubt and others could try too hard. maybe willie tries so hard his number of fumbles increases. we will see. but we do know the talent is there. the t.o. or moss types with the attitudes arent. i like that faneca and troy are being real about the situation. just like the players will have to be on their toes, it also keeps the new regime on their toes.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:33 AM   #23
msafford
Starter

Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Member Number: 2447

Quote:
lol. "steelers intrigued" was a definite poor choice of words by the author. so far it seems that tomlin is being accepted about as well ats the proverbial "red headed step child".

faneca has always been a hard sell. his matter-of-fact remarks are strikingly similar to those he made when t. maddox went down and he was asked if he was excited to play with a rookie qb.
This is exactly what I thought of when I read this article. I'm not too worried by any means here. If memory serves, Faneca was a HUGE Ben supporter by season's end. I think really think it's a case of the "awesome" media trying to drum up a little controversy. I guess that's their job, the stinking jackals! (the media that is)
msafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #24
slashsteel

Member Number:

Yes you can't read too much into any article. Bottom line is Tomlin has to prove himself and win the players over. Much like Bill had to. Saying this I believe he will. The Vikings defensive players as well as fans liked what they saw in him a a D coach. I am sure we will all grow to love him as a head coach. One thing I see already is how gun ho the guy is. He surrounded himself with plenty of coaching experience. And I also read where he will have a hand in every process. Ike told me he made a good impression the other day. Some discount first impressions, but sometimes a first impression gives you a glimpse at whats inside the tunnel. I like what I see.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #25
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I take everything the media says with a grain of salt. They love to stir the pot by taking one sentence or part of a quote and use it to take the things entirely out of context.

I believe the players that know Tomlin. My husband works in admissions at a small college here in Cinci. He was helping a young lady enroll and found out that her brother is Ray Edwards of the Minnesota Vikings. My hubby played for the Vikings as a free agent for a year in the seventies and the girl got out her cell phone and called her brother. My husband and Ray Edwards talked about that for a few minutes and then my husband asked him about Mike Tomlin. Ray Edwards had absolutely nothing bad to say about Tomlin. He said Tomlin is a great guy and an excellent coach......that he's really "in tune" to the players and that he was really sorry to see him leave.

I believe that once the Steelers get to know Tomlin, they are going to love him every bit as much as they loved Cowher and will want to perform at their highest level for him. It's human nature to skeptical at first but it seems it didn't take Tomlin long in Minnesota to win the guys over and now that he has been handed a playoff caliber team, he will also be performing at his highest level. The bar is set high in Pittsburgh, and Mike Tomlin knew that when he walked into his first interview. I'm not worried.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 02-10-2007 at 01:09 PM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #26
HeartofSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 3392

I gotta say, I got no problem with players, be they leaders or not, remaining sceptical upon meeting their new head coach for the first time. Let's not forget this is a two way street - Tomlin needs to earn their respect as much as they do his if this team has any chance of being successful. You don't gain respect for a relatively inexperienced leader by simply having a conversation with them, especially a head coach. If some players want to use the press as a medium for challenging their new coach so he doesn't think he'll just slide into the position vacated by a future HOF coach, so be it.

I think all Polamalu and Faneca are saying here is, show us what you got. If Tomlin is everything they say he is, it won't take but a few days of training camp for the players to realize it. Showing your teeth on the field creates more of an impression than showing them in an office.

Basically we're all sceptical, with good reason, we shouldn't expect the players to pretend they're not. But then scepticism has a way of quickly disappearing when actions match words.
HeartofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #27
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartofSteel View Post
I gotta say, I got no problem with players, be they leaders or not, remaining sceptical upon meeting their new head coach for the first time. Let's not forget this is a two way street - Tomlin needs to earn their respect as much as they do his if this team has any chance of being successful. You don't gain respect for a relatively inexperienced leader by simply having a conversation with them, especially a head coach. If some players want to use the press as a medium for challenging their new coach so he doesn't think he'll just slide into the position vacated by a future HOF coach, so be it.

I think all Polamalu and Faneca are saying here is, show us what you got. If Tomlin is everything they say he is, it won't take but a few days of training camp for the players to realize it. Showing your teeth on the field creates more of an impression than showing them in an office.

Basically we're all sceptical, with good reason, we shouldn't expect the players to pretend they're not. But then scepticism has a way of quickly disappearing when actions match words.
great take. pretty much sums up how i feel.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #28
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
well, i think people just dont want to see players like faneca, or troy to be kicked to the curb.

faneca and polamalu are very imprtant and we cant just piss them into the wind. if tomlin is as good as advertised, go and win them over and motivate them to be what we have already seen them prove they are. winners and champions. tomlin has got work to do too and has got to earn his keep.

i think tomlin knows this and is up for the task.
When I read the article I did'nt get the impression anyone was getting kicked to the curb.

I think when you look at this past season you have to put the majority of the blame on the coaching staff, the entire staff. The O-line played poorly, that was Grimms responsibility. The turnovers can also be attributed to a lack of focus, again on the coaches.
IMO it was time for a change, hence the new regime.

I am glad to see that we both agree coach Tomlin is up to the task. I was starting to worry about you Tony.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #29
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
Well it doesn't matter what the players think. If they don't get aboard with Mike Tomlin. Then to hell with them. Its a new era in Pittsburgh so the players better get used to it. I'm glad Fast Willie has the right idea.
???????????????

Even after you debated with THC and Atl, I don't see any logic in your post. "To Hell with them"? I'm so glad you don't own the company I work for, it would have exactly 1 employee, you.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #30
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
???????????????

Even after you debated with THC and Atl, I don't see any logic in your post. "To Hell with them"? I'm so glad you don't own the company I work for, it would have exactly 1 employee, you.
Who the **** are you? Like I give a shit what you think anyway?lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote