Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779
Default Scrap the Pro Bowl?

Over the years, the Steelers have put up some of the best Pro Bowl selections. We've had several players dominate their position; end result being consecutive year selections. Because of this (esp. in the 70's and 80's), the Steelers selection to the Pro Bowl always made the season a little sweeter.

Is it me or does the Pro Bowl just not have the same impact? The players don't get excited about the selection or a free trip to Hawaii anymore. How many withdraws have we seen recently? The players that do go have little incentive to play with intensity which means we get to watch one very boring beauty pageant of a football game.

I think the players and fans would be better server with a designation similar to the college All American. Scrap the game and move on to next year is my vote!
Old 02-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
rhino
Water Boy

Member Number: 4784
Default Re: Scrap the Pro Bowl?

I live in Hawaii and I'm actually going to the Pro Bowl today. It's not really so much for the players as it is for the fans. As everyone knows, the NFL is the master of marketing their game and they make the whole week prior to the Pro Bowl "Pro Bowl Week" in Hawaii. It's really a lot of fun for the fans. We get to interact with players, coaches, and cheerleaders, see the skills challenge, and there are tons of parties, activities, and many things for kids. Just this year my daughter went to a cheerleading clinic with 6 NFL cheerleaders and loved it. My son loves meeting players and getting his helmet signed.

What you said is probably exactly right. The players really don't care that much but the fans out here love it. And, to the NFL, that's what it's all about!
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,817 Times in 4,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer-inseattle View Post
Over the years, the Steelers have put up some of the best Pro Bowl selections. We've had several players dominate their position; end result being consecutive year selections. Because of this (esp. in the 70's and 80's), the Steelers selection to the Pro Bowl always made the season a little sweeter.

Is it me or does the Pro Bowl just not have the same impact? The players don't get excited about the selection or a free trip to Hawaii anymore. How many withdraws have we seen recently? The players that do go have little incentive to play with intensity which means we get to watch one very boring beauty pageant of a football game.

I think the players and fans would be better server with a designation similar to the college All American. Scrap the game and move on to next year is my vote!
i dont know, seeing marshall faulk break o.j's pro bowl record when oj was accused of murdering his wife was great.

seeing hines ward catch a bomb from peyton manning, and then returning a punt for a td(it had been years since he returned punts) was great.

im really looking forward to seeing willie parker play with the best of the best.

the steelers rarely withdrawl from a pro bowl bid. then again cowher was coaching it every other year it seems. faneca, hampton, troy, hines, porter are the types who will always go if offered.

p. manning absolutely has no incentive to be there, yet he is a competitor and loves football. if theres any star in the league who could balk on the trip for fear of injury, it is him, yet he goes out every year and puts on a show for the fans.

these are the reasons i think they should keep it.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts

Every other sport ends its season with a championship game - the NFL ends its season with an exhibition game where a good % of the players do not want to be there.

Watching the Pro Bowl is like having leftover warm beer for breakfast the morning after you are hungover from a great party - not very palatable.

For those who enjoy watching the game, to each his own - I quit watching it years ago.

NM
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

the pro bowl has been a joke for about 20 or more years now.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,817 Times in 4,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Watching the Pro Bowl is like having leftover warm beer for breakfast the morning after you are hungover from a great party - not very palatable.
lol. good analogy, although i prefer to look at it as a shot of methadone to a heroin addict who is abruptly trying to kick the "habit".
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Keep it going, it's the only week of pro ball that I don't have to see T. Brady.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Fullback&Punter
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5007

I like the Pro Bowl. I look forward to seeing the Steelers compete for the AFC and I love all the trick plays and players playing out of position.
Fullback&Punter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I think everyone really enjoys the game. For the players however, I think they consider it as more of an honor than an actual game. I may be wrong though, I mean, it's not like we may be able to understand what goes through their minds. In any case, I'll be on the couch watching the game.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #10
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Just some extra Vacation Time and a Sissy Game of Golf in Hawaii
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote