Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-30-2005, 12:58 PM   #31
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Default Re: The Pens!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreene15
How you boys liking Sideny??

His goal in the shootout in against Montreal was one of the nicest goals of the year.... To make a goalies water bottle fly that high on a backhand is impressive.

Love him. I think he is way better at this stage than Jagr was when he was a rookie.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:17 PM   #32
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
Love him. I think he is way better at this stage than Jagr was when he was a rookie.
Thats a pretty bold statement, although Jagr did have a great, healthy young, Mario.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:04 PM   #33
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

How about Crosby over Jagr. in O.T. Go Pens
Old 01-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #34
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Moves that need to be made after this season.

1) Patrick needs to go. The buddy/buddy system that is in place with Lemieux and Patrick is destroying this hockey team. There are no excuses for this team to be this bad. Patrick dropped the ball this year and hasn't done much since 1992. The way he handled the "Fleury situation" earlier in the season was the last call for me. He would rather save some cash than give the fans what they expected to see and what they paid to see......a winning hockey team.

2) Lemieux needs to retire and simply be an owner. While I respect Lemieux just as much as the next fan, his skills are not the same (to be expected) and any coach that is on this team and coaching Lemieux will be on a leash. Lemieux could go 30 games without a point and the head coach would NEVER sit him out. That's like telling your boss "You know what, I don't like the way your handling things, take a seat until I see your ready to step it up and do what's right.". It's never going to happen. As stated before, I respect Lemieux and appreciate everything he has done for Pittsburgh hockey, but I don't feel that gives him a free pass as long as he is organized with this hockey team. It's time for him to hang up the skates and focus on making this a legitimate hockey team and not the New York Rangers of years past. I know a great number hate to hear this because Mario is at Jesus status in this city, but things need to change and change fast. What we are doing here is NOT working.

3) Start over. We are not able to trade players such as Gonchar, LeClair or Recchi but in my opinion we need to start on a clean sheet of ice. Focus this team next season around Crosby, Fleury and Malkin. Not players that are way past their prime such as LeClair, Lemieux, Recchi and Odelein. They are not the future. They were simply brought in for veteran leadership and to give us a chance at winning a cup THIS season. That didn't work. Regroup, make the right decisions, start over and in three or four years from now we could easily be one of the elite teams in the NHL.

I'm obviously not an NHL team owner or GM, but this season has been horrendous and there is no excuse for this team. From the top on down needs to take the blame and one guy at the top needs to be fired and the other needs to focus on owning a team.

Since Therrian has taken over there is no doubt in the change of play. Therrian doesn't play the buddy/buddy system. Edzo was a direct product of the buddy/buddy system that surrounds this hockey team and has surrounded this hockey team for the last fourteen years. They went from a high school hockey team to an AHL hockey team since Therrian took over. Sadly, the change occured way too late. It should have occured on our Florida road trip earlier in the season and definately after the Minnesota and Detroit melt downs. Lemieux and Patrick decided to hold off until we were in a deeper hole. We are there now.

The question I have, what is this team going to look like when Lemieux comes back? Are our young players going to feel the need to throw him the puck in the corner every time they enter the opposing teams end of the ice instead of taking the shot or passing it else where? More importantly, our PP has been very good the last few games, do you mess with that so you can put Mario Lemieux out there on the first PP unit? Does Therrian have the nuts to bench his boss If he's doing absolutely nothing on the ice?

Sorry need to vent.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:54 PM   #35
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

No doubt the team is playing much better with the new staff. I like Edzo as a person and as a commentator but he was not a very good coach. I was not in favor of all the free agent signings because before the lockout at the end there we started playing very well. But i do think that a few signings were ok, I liked Palffy and Gonchar because i think you do need some veteran presence and even recci was ok but we played all these young guys for a whole year in anticipation of the lockout but now we dont get to see the just reward in their growth. I think someone who has been really held down is Malone who now that his leadership role has been taken away has clearly regressed. I think they just need to get a solid plan in place in follow it. Fleury is your number one goalie, and build the D around Whitney. The offense having Crosby and eventually Malkin will take care of itself
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #36
Brady12
Team Captain

Member Number: 973

lol The Pens are funny.
Brady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 05:15 PM   #37
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
Fleury is your number one goalie, and build the D around Whitney. The offense having Crosby and eventually Malkin will take care of itself
I agree that our future is very encouraging, unlike many other teams in the NHL. Whitney, Orpik, Scuderi and Welch are defenseman that I look forward to watching for many years. On offense players such as Crosby, Malkin, Quellet and Surovy will be something in years to come. Not many teams can say they have as much young talent as we do on their team at this point in time.

Maybe I'm getting a little frustrated and rightfully so to a degree, I guess winning back to backs cup in '91' & '92' is better than other teams who have not one a cup since the 70's.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #38
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

The future is very encouraging! But where, will they stay?
Old 01-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #39
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

I think that now that the agreement is in place for Isle of Capri to pay for the whole building contigent on them getting the slot liscines. Barring a late ploy by mr. "I hate Pittsburgh" Ed Rendell there is an excellent chance they stay
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #40
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
I think that now that the agreement is in place for Isle of Capri to pay for the whole building contigent on them getting the slot liscines. Barring a late ploy by mr. "I hate Pittsburgh" Ed Rendell there is an excellent chance they stay
The only problem I see is the guy from Station Square who gave Rendell a good chunk of coin when he was running for office. As long as the media keeps bringing up that transaction it can help this organization and the Isle of Capri.