Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
steeler614
Banned

Member Number: 5011
Default new coaching staff-what do you think?

well now that the coaching staff for the 2007 Steelers is in place it's time to evaluate what we got and what good or bad choices were made, starting with none other than...

Head Coach Mike Tomlin-I didn't think he was the right choice at first but after checking him out some and watching his press conference I think we got the right guy for the job. He's a motivator, wants to win and has a good philosophy. Keeping Dick LeBeau as D-Coordinator is a good move. I myself am hoping for a 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense that will give us more options. With Tomlin as HC working with LeBeau that very well might happen.

Bruce Arians, Off. Coordinator-I think streamlining the playbook was a great idea. Despite being coordinator for the Browns, well the Browns are the Browns 'nuff said. Arians has a better team to work with and should be a good fit.

Ken Anderson, QB coach-Whipple's replacement a former Cincinnati Bengal is one of their best QB's of all time. despite criticism from his coaching days with the Bengals may be what Ben needs, being that he actually has talent to work with. last year's QB problems were more from Ben's head not being right not so much the coaching. this is more wait and see how it turns out, if he can help get Ben to his full potential then we may be seeing him around for a long time. with Ben now in his prime good coaching will be crucial.

Kirby Wilson, RB coach-has the right attitude, wants to get the best out of his players. with Willie, Krieder, Davenport, and John Kuhn has great talent to work with. Arizona's poor performance and Edgerrin James' lackluster season was really due to a poor O-line, so it's tough to grade the coaching. another wait and see.

Larry Zierlein, Offensive Line coach-a poor choice. we sadly lost Grimm and even though he is one of the best we could have found someone better than this choice. the Bills allowed 45 sacks last season and yes we had a protection problem in 2006 but that wasn't all Grimm's fault, Cowher wouldn't allow him to bench underperforming players. Grimm also has a 15-1 season and a Super Bowl to hang his hat on, as far as I know Zierlien has never had a winning season. I'll say give him a chance one season he could prove me wrong, if the O-line continues to have problems in 2007 this guys gotta go.

Randy Fitchner, WR coach-no idea about this guy, never heard of him.

Ray Horton, DB coach-I think he'll do a better job than Perry. Ike Taylor and Coclough didn't develop under Perry and needed a new coach anyway.

Bob Ligashesky, Special Teams-the St. Louis Rams special teams was ranked what, 29th in the NFL? like the O-line special teams is another major problem area for the Steelers. this guy better fix it or be shown the door.
steeler614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Re: new coaching staff-what do you think?

I think we have a pretty solid staff from this point. This probably will change as the season goes on, seeing how they actually work and what they do during the season is alot more acurate then sitting back and judging them before they have even had a chance to work.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Too many times I've seen guys who suck with one team be geniuses with another, so I couldn't guess whether these are good hires or not. I like your analysis, but I couldn't even start to agree or disagree with it; I just have to wait and see.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,349 Times in 3,531 Posts

i think tomlin retaining lebeau, and arians could be his saving grace as an immediate winner as coach. if they were scrapped too (unless we took a saints like gamble and started from scratch with the personel) we would be looking at a top 10 pick next season.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
steelegg
Water Boy

Member Number: 4159

retaining lebeau and arians is what i was concerned about, the others are more of a wait and see
steelegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
tony hipchest

if tomlin got rid of arians and lebeau, in addition to all the other coaches we got rid of, the next logical move would be to trade these players for salary cap relief and a multitude of picks to start from scratch:

hines ward
joey porter
troy polamalu
alan faneca (possibly)
Old 02-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,010 Times in 1,868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if tomlin got rid of arians and lebeau, in addition to all the other coaches we got rid of, the next logical move would be to trade these players for salary cap relief and a multitude of picks to start from scratch:

hines ward
joey porter
troy polamalu
alan faneca (possibly)
That would suck!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
That would suck!
NOOOOOOOOOOO
NEVER! I WILL GO DOWN TO THE FREAKING COMPLEX AND RIOT BEFORE ANYONE DOES THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But in all seriuosness, I think the Rooney's will stop it before it gets too far. Hines in an inportant aspect to the team, and when you need a ball caught chances are he'll be ready. Troy, one word. UNFREAKINGBELIEVABLE. There have been many times when the rooney's said they want to keep him here. Joey, well, he is a awsome LB, and I'll admit I'm alittle two-faced about what to do with him right now, but if he shows up big in the next few months, be all means keep him. Faneca needs to be kept for the older experience and he is probably the only O-line member with a brain that did well. Any of the staff have said what these four have done for the team, and I really dont think/hope that they will leave.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-12-2007, 08:36 PM   #9
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

hines ward
joey porter
troy polamalu
alan faneca (possibly)
I would trade Joey Porter...Thats it
Troy Polamalu is one of the best defensive players in the nfl.
Hines ward is the heart on the offensive side of the ball.
and Faneca...well....(possibly)..he made the probowl on his name only this year
Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #10
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
I would trade Joey Porter...Thats it
Troy Polamalu is one of the best defensive players in the nfl.
Hines ward is the heart on the offensive side of the ball.
and Faneca...well....(possibly)..he made the probowl on his name only this year
herschel walker was one of the best offensive players in the nfl and the heart on the offensive side of the ball. after firing the coaching staff the cowboys traded him and went on to win 3 of 4 superbowls.

my point is we didnt scrap the whole coaching staff (probably a good thing because we arent a 1-15 team)

however our secondary, lb's wr's and o-line ALL failed us this year. and our backs are too the wall as far as the cap is concerned.

its tomlins job to either be commited to what we got or scrap it like sean paytod did in new orleans. no *****footing around.