Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #31
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: Marty Fired!!!!

All I can say is.............................DOH!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM   #32
wiqidjuggalo
Starter

Member Number: 2600
Default Re: Marty Fired!!!!

Chargers fire Schottenheimer
Bad relationship with GM Smith a factor
Tuesday, February 13, 2007

By Bernie Wilson, The Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was fired last night in a shocking move by team president Dean Spanos, who cited a "dysfunctional situation" between the coach and general manager A.J. Smith.

Less than a month after San Diego's NFL-best 14-2 season was wrecked in a home playoff loss to New England, Spanos cited the exodus of both coordinators and other assistants in firing Schottenheimer. The coach had a year left on his contract and will be owed more than $3 million.

"When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact," Spanos said in a statement. "Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment."

The firing was first reported by ESPN.

Schottenheimer didn't immediately return messages left on his office and cell phones.

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips was hired as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys on Thursday, following offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and two other assistants out of town for better jobs.

Although Schottenheimer said last week that change was inevitable, Smith sounded concerned, saying, "Both in the same year -- Wow."

Tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski became Cleveland's offensive coordinator, and linebackers coach Greg Manusky was hired as San Francisco's defensive coordinator.

Running backs coach Clarence Shelmon, who has never been a coordinator, was promoted to replace Cameron.

Three days after the 24-21 playoff loss to New England, Schottenheimer declined the team's offer of a $4.5 million, one-year extension through 2008, which came with a club-option $1 million buyout. Spanos and Smith seemed visibly angry that the coach turned them down.

Schottenheimer has been at odds with Smith since the 2005 season, apparently over personnel decisions by the GM.

With a regular-season record of 200-126-1 with Cleveland, Kansas City, Washington and San Diego, Schottenheimer is the most successful coach never to have reached the Super Bowl.

His 5-13 playoff record has taken on a life of its own. The loss to the Patriots was his sixth in a row in the postseason, dating to 1993, and the ninth time a Schottenheimer-coached team lost its opening playoff game. His teams have failed four times to capitalize on the home-field advantage that comes with owning the AFC's No. 1 seed.

He was 47-33 in five seasons with the Chargers, including 35 wins and two AFC West titles in the last three seasons.

?Jarrad Page, we?re not at UCLA anymore. You need to wrap.? ?an ESPN commentator, on the Chiefs rookie?s weak attempt at tackling the Steelers? Nate Washington in a 45-7 loss.
wiqidjuggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #33
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydfan4life View Post
Once again, it just proves (after going 14-2) that it's not how well you do your job, it's how well you're liked. If you p*ss off the guy above you........... see you!

Personally, I would reserve the word 'dysfunctional' for a team like...... ummmm..... the Bengals!!

I guess a lot of those people who were picking San Diego already for next years Super Bowl are now having second thoughts?
This surprises me that it happened so quickly, I figured they would have waited a while longer. Oh well, the new coach search begins... I wonder what he did to annoy Smith.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 AM   #34
Newzfoxjr
Starter

Member Number: 4116

Weird.

I bet that BoLT guy is happy though. :o
Newzfoxjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:23 AM   #35
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Chargers late to the hiring party

By: MICHAEL KLITZING - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Six teams had already taken their pick of the best coaches on the job market by the time the Chargers got around to firing Marty Schottenheimer.

And now, more than a week after the Super Bowl, the Chargers are starting their search.

"I'm going to meet with Dean tonight," said Chargers general manager A.J. Smith late Monday, referring to team president Dean Spanos. "I have a list of names. I'll run them by Dean Spanos, and we'll decide who we're going to contact and then we'll find out if they're interested."

Smith said he has no timetable for hiring the next Chargers coach -- the first head coaching hire of his career -- but he doesn't expect it to?take long.

"I don't see any longer than a couple weeks." he said.

Said Spanos: "I would like to get a head coach in here as soon as possible, but I also want to make the right decision. We're going to go through the process and interview a list of candidates that both he and I think are viable candidates for this job."

What's certain is that the list is not as long as it could have been.

In January, the Pittsburgh Steelers snapped up Mike Tomlin, the Arizona Cardinals nabbed Ken Whisenhunt, the Atlanta Falcons snared Bobby Petrino, and the Oakland Raiders gambled on Lane Kiffin.

Recently, the Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys yanked a pair of assistants?away from?the Chargers, hiring Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips, respectively.

Smith said Monday that Phillips would have gotten consideration to replace Schottenheimer if he had not taken the Cowboys' job.

"The pool of candidates might be less, but there's plenty of good football coaches out there," Smith said. "It's a fair statement to say that some of the other people aren't there. That's accurate, but we'll do the best we can."

The Chargers might not have to look far.

It has long been rumored that USC's Pete Carroll might want to take another crack at coaching in the NFL, where he was fired after short head coaching stints with the New England Patriots and New York Jets.

Smith said Monday he had not spoken with Carroll.

Another intriguing possibility is a former assistant of Carroll's, Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow. Chow, who interviewed for the Arizona Cardinals head coaching opening, was the offensive coordinator at North Carolina State when Philip Rivers was a freshman.

Other assistants who interviewed for head coaching openings this year include Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner, San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary, New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs and Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell.

Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton would appear to be most logical internal candidate. He interviewed for the head coaching position with the Raiders in each of the past two years.

Perhaps the biggest name on the open market is Bill Cowher, who resigned as Pittsburgh Steelers coach in January. But it should be noted that Cowher is a disciple and friend of Schottenheimer.

Another long shot with a Super Bowl pedigree is former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson. He hasn't coached in seven years, but he's known to be a good friend of Chargers president Dean Spanos.

Still other coaches with extensive head coaching experience are available:

> Steve Mariucci, who took the 49ers to the playoffs four times, might have interest in returning to coaching after spending a year working as a television analyst. Mariucci recently bought a home in the county.

> Jim Mora Jr. was recently hired as the secondary coach of the Seattle Seahawks after being fired by the Falcons. No one expects him to remain an assistant for long.

> Dennis Green, who was recently fired by the Arizona Cardinals, has a career record of 113-94 and owns a home in Del Mar.

> Mike Martz, the former St. Louis Rams head coach and current Detroit Lions offensive coordinator, has a career record of 52-32 with one Super Bowl appearance. Chargers quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell was a member of his staff in St. Louis.

> Dan Reeves took both the Broncos and Falcons to the Super Bowl and has said recently that he's interested in getting back into coaching.

> Norv Turner, the 49ers offensive coordinator, was a strong candidate for the Cowboys' opening. He spent a season as Chargers offensive coordinator in 2001.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #36
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Chargers late to the hiring party

By: MICHAEL KLITZING - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Six teams had already taken their pick of the best coaches on the job market by the time the Chargers got around to firing Marty Schottenheimer.

And now, more than a week after the Super Bowl, the Chargers are starting their search.

"I'm going to meet with Dean tonight," said Chargers general manager A.J. Smith late Monday, referring to team president Dean Spanos. "I have a list of names. I'll run them by Dean Spanos, and we'll decide who we're going to contact and then we'll find out if they're interested."

Smith said he has no timetable for hiring the next Chargers coach -- the first head coaching hire of his career -- but he doesn't expect it to?take long.

"I don't see any longer than a couple weeks." he said.

Said Spanos: "I would like to get a head coach in here as soon as possible, but I also want to make the right decision. We're going to go through the process and interview a list of candidates that both he and I think are viable candidates for this job."

What's certain is that the list is not as long as it could have been.

In January, the Pittsburgh Steelers snapped up Mike Tomlin, the Arizona Cardinals nabbed Ken Whisenhunt, the Atlanta Falcons snared Bobby Petrino, and the Oakland Raiders gambled on Lane Kiffin.

Recently, the Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys yanked a pair of assistants?away from?the Chargers, hiring Cam Cameron and Wade Phillips, respectively.

Smith said Monday that Phillips would have gotten consideration to replace Schottenheimer if he had not taken the Cowboys' job.

"The pool of candidates might be less, but there's plenty of good football coaches out there," Smith said. "It's a fair statement to say that some of the other people aren't there. That's accurate, but we'll do the best we can."

The Chargers might not have to look far.

It has long been rumored that USC's Pete Carroll might want to take another crack at coaching in the NFL, where he was fired after short head coaching stints with the New England Patriots and New York Jets.

Smith said Monday he had not spoken with Carroll.

Another intriguing possibility is a former assistant of Carroll's, Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow. Chow, who interviewed for the Arizona Cardinals head coaching opening, was the offensive coordinator at North Carolina State when Philip Rivers was a freshman.

Other assistants who interviewed for head coaching openings this year include Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner, San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary, New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs and Indianapolis Colts quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell.

Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton would appear to be most logical internal candidate. He interviewed for the head coaching position with the Raiders in each of the past two years.

Perhaps the biggest name on the open market is Bill Cowher, who resigned as Pittsburgh Steelers coach in January. But it should be noted that Cowher is a disciple and friend of Schottenheimer.

Another long shot with a Super Bowl pedigree is former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson. He hasn't coached in seven years, but he's known to be a good friend of Chargers president Dean Spanos.

Still other coaches with extensive head coaching experience are available:

> Steve Mariucci, who took the 49ers to the playoffs four times, might have interest in returning to coaching after spending a year working as a television analyst. Mariucci recently bought a home in the county.

> Jim Mora Jr. was recently hired as the secondary coach of the Seattle Seahawks after being fired by the Falcons. No one expects him to remain an assistant for long.

> Dennis Green, who was recently fired by the Arizona Cardinals, has a career record of 113-94 and owns a home in Del Mar.

> Mike Martz, the former St. Louis Rams head coach and current Detroit Lions offensive coordinator, has a career record of 52-32 with one Super Bowl appearance. Chargers quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell was a member of his staff in St. Louis.

> Dan Reeves took both the Broncos and Falcons to the Super Bowl and has said recently that he's interested in getting back into coaching.

> Norv Turner, the 49ers offensive coordinator, was a strong candidate for the Cowboys' opening. He spent a season as Chargers offensive coordinator in 2001.
Didn't know Ron Rivera was still looking for a job. I honestly doubt they will go with Dennis Green, after his rant which all I really got outa that was the bears were who he thought they were. Dan Reeves might be a good pick considering he has Championship experience. Norv Turner will have a good chance because he has had a history with the Chargers. As for the current WR coach, i don't know. He has a good chance, but you never know what will happen.

~Polamalufan43

Last edited by polamalufan43; 02-13-2007 at 07:35 AM.
polamalufan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #37
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,112 Times in 3,201 Posts

Whomever gets hired is going to be behind the curve assembling a staff.

Major, major screwup by not firing Marty a month ago. Last time a team this good fired its coach this late was when Jones fired Johnson, but that was a lot stronger team and my recollection was Switzer had a full staff already in place.

The talent is there but losing all these coaches has to hurt.

IMHO the Bolts are now behind Indy and the Pats as AFC SB favorites and may now be behind Denver in their own division.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #38
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm not at all surprised by Marty's firing, though I believe him to be a good coach overall. There have been rumors of disdain between Marty and Spanos for years and losing a couple of his right hand men may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. Wherever you go, Marty - much luck!

I think out of all of the candidates LLT lists above, I believe Dan Reeves would be the best fit for the Bolts. Jmho.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #39
BOXCAR JOEY
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 3729

i can see the chargers goin after rivera. hes a great d coordinator and he probably has a great head for offense.

WIN OR LOSE.........I still bleed black and gold.
Http://www.Myspace.com/Trappedinemerica
BOXCAR JOEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #40
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Yeah, I know there is a whole thread dedicated to this...

But after all.. Thank God for the Rooney's!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote