Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 02-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911
Default Restructuring the O-line

I have heard some things to the effect that Starks might like to join Whiz and Grimm in Arizona. He is a FA, do you think it's possible we could get a 2nd round pick for him. It would clear up some cap space and Colon would fill right in nicely IMO. We would then have two 2nd round picks to play with.

I was also thinking maybe Simmons moves to the center position and bringing Kemo in at RG. Then we could have Okobi as backup at center and guard and Essex backup at tackle. That still leaves Brooks and Torrey backups at tackle and Phillips backup at center. We really need to draft a guard because we would be thin and Faneca is getting up there in age and his contract will be coming up.

So what do you think; LT Smith, LG Faneca, C Simmons, RG Kemoeatu, RT Colon
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Re: Restructuring the O-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post
I have heard some things to the effect that Starks might like to join Whiz and Grimm in Arizona. He is a FA, do you think it's possible we could get a 2nd round pick for him. It would clear up some cap space and Colon would fill right in nicely IMO. We would then have two 2nd round picks to play with.

I was also thinking maybe Simmons moves to the center position and bringing Kemo in at RG. Then we could have Okobi as backup at center and guard and Essex backup at tackle. That still leaves Brooks and Torrey backups at tackle and Phillips backup at center. We really need to draft a guard because we would be thin and Faneca is getting up there in age and his contract will be coming up.

Colon will be great as long as he can control his temper and the same Kemoeatu. Faneca will probably stay here throughout the end of his career.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I think that would be GREAT... Man would that ever be a mean right side of the line. Both of them just have ATTITUDE.

Now, I actually think Chucky would be the better center. However, It would be nice to have Kendall Simmons as a backup for the entire line. Even though he stunck it up last year, for a back up, we really couldn't do any better.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Yes, Chucky would probably be my choice as the starter, unless he falls flat or Smmons goes nuts at center. I think Starks is a RFA? Usually RFA's don't leave.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACEB View Post

I think this might be alright but I think that we are paying Okobi way too much $$$ to be a backup dont you? I think that we need a true LT instead of Marvel Smith.. he is more suited for the RT spot. I just dont see Simmons as our starting Center.. I think that is where Okobi comes in and must carry on a Steelers Tradition..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048

I would put either Philip or Okobi at center.
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Neil-Still-Rules-14
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 1048

LT-Marvel Smith LG-Alan Faneca C-Chukky Okobi RG-Max Starks RT-Trai Essex

Last edited by Neil-Still-Rules-14; 02-13-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Didnt look right
Neil-Still-Rules-14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5008

Starks is a RFA. He will receive a tender offer from the Steelers, which I assume he will sign. I would bet that the Steelers are not too concerned about Starks being signed away by another team, so I would assume he does not receive a high tender offer. I would guess at this point if Arizona, or any other team wanted him, it would probably cost a 3rd round pick in return compensation. This is all assumption at this point, we will know exactly how much compensation Starks would fetch if signed away, once the Steelers tender him an offer. I highly doubt the Steelers would sign him to a long term contract at this time, and even if they do have plans to try and sign Starks to a long term deal, they will tender him first, and work on a long term deal in camp, like they did with Ike last year. I would think the Steelers would be ecstatic if they could get third rounder for Starks.

As for the make up of the line for the 07 season, I think the only jobs that are safe are Smith at LT, and Faneca at LG. The other three spots are up for grabs. I think the new staff will have no favorites going into the battle for spots, and the three best players should get the starting jobs. I would agree that Smith is better suited for RT, but he makes LT money, and there currently is not anybody else on the roster who would be a better LT. Besides Smith is not as bad as some make him out to be. Sure he gets beat on occasion, but all LTs do. After all, they are usually the ones that have to take on the best pass rushers. Just think back to the 03 season when he was hurt, and the Steelers tried several other options, including Fanaca, at LT. It was a disaster. I personally am intrigued with Marvin Phillips. Do not count him out as the starting center. If I had to guess the starting O-line for game 1 next season, I would say Smith at LT, Fanaca at LG, Okabi at C, Simmons at RG, and Colon at RT. That could all change depending on the draft, possible loss of Starks, and injuries suffered during the preseason. Should make for some exciting battles.
1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Wierd how people read articles and take it the wrong way. Starks simply talked to Oliver Ross in Arizona, and Ross stated that he's glad to be working with Grimm again. And Starks is from Arizona, so all this means that he wants to play for the Cardinals. LOL at some people.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
Wierd how people read articles and take it the wrong way. Starks simply talked to Oliver Ross in Arizona, and Ross stated that he's glad to be working with Grimm again. And Starks is from Arizona, so all this means that he wants to play for the Cardinals. LOL at some people.
Eggz-actly. Don't you just love the off-season and the grinding of the rumor mill?

Starks isn't going anywhere. I hope he can revert back to the Max Starks we saw in the 2005 season. He was getting manhandled at the line this past season.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote