Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544
Default What is Willie Colon?

This is just a response to everyone's optimism for our young, offensive lineman. A common idea seems to be that Chris Kemoeatu and Willie Colon will start next year, in place of Kendall Simmons and Max Starks. I've been looking on nfl.com at the rosters of all the NFL teams. I'm about 1/4 of the way through and I've yet to find a Offensive Tackle listed as shorter than 6'4". Willie Colon is 6'3". While it's true that he played Tackle in college we drafted him to be a Guard. I know he did play Tackle this year, subbing for Max, i think, but we have to think realisticly. Willie Colon will, most likely, not be our Long-Term starter at OT. That doesn't mean he won't be a decent back up, but I think we're being too optimistic of a 6'3" Offensive Linemen.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,200 Times in 3,492 Posts
Default Re: What is Willie Colon?

i think most people are just hyped up that hes a tough guy from the bronx. he has balls of steel, but you are right, there have been very few press clippings of this guy and i dont think the average fan has actually studied game film of him. he has mainly gone un noticed the times hes played which is exactly what a back up is supposed to do. no coach has ever said he is the future.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

Im really optimistic about this guy a lot. In the words of my favorite coach It's not the size of the dawg in the fight, It's the size of the fight in the dawg. Colon has a lot of fight in hom. He plays bigger than he is.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,200 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Im really optimistic about this guy a lot. In the words of my favorite coach It's not the size of the dawg in the fight, It's the size of the fight in the dawg. Colon has a lot of fight in hom. He plays bigger than he is.
he has alot of fight in him- this is based on the post draft day stories that he is a bronx kid who got into alot of street fights as a kid growing up.

he plays bigger than he is- pretty much based on 1 story where he took on haggans in camp and didnt back down.

other than those 2 press clippings and not getting repeatedly pancaked in his limited action, what do we really know about him?
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,354 Times in 3,283 Posts

Well, Colon has two big points going for him with the fans - his first name is not Max and his last name is not Starks.

It will be interesting to see if Starks gets any offers (as a blocker in the wedge on kickoffs?) and, if so, whether the Steelers try to keep him.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
aussiesteelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 5027

The fact that Colon is even talked about as a replacement for Starks mean we have some serious problems with our O-line. We really need to draft a top quality o-lineman.
aussiesteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 AM   #7
DJfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1676

You said that right.

On this topic, has anyone heard about what Tomlin is doing on the offensive side of the ball? I only hear about his meetings with player on the O, but on the D he meets with players and LeBeau.

http://www.socalsteelcitymafia.com
DJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanianTroy271 View Post
This is just a response to everyone's optimism for our young, offensive lineman. A common idea seems to be that Chris Kemoeatu and Willie Colon will start next year, in place of Kendall Simmons and Max Starks. I've been looking on nfl.com at the rosters of all the NFL teams. I'm about 1/4 of the way through and I've yet to find a Offensive Tackle listed as shorter than 6'4". Willie Colon is 6'3". While it's true that he played Tackle in college we drafted him to be a Guard. I know he did play Tackle this year, subbing for Max, i think, but we have to think realisticly. Willie Colon will, most likely, not be our Long-Term starter at OT. That doesn't mean he won't be a decent back up, but I think we're being too optimistic of a 6'3" Offensive Linemen.
What I've learned from my readings is that a lot of Steelers fans assume that if the STEELERS DRAFT A PLAYER THEN HE MUST BE DOWNRIGHT AWESOME! I'm a realist, the fact of the matter is that the STEELERS have drafted plenty of BUMS!
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:50 AM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Here is why I am up on the guy

1. yes, his attitude.

2. He actually played against the Ravens, and I didn't hear his name called. When a O lineman gets his name called... that is 99 percent of the time a very bad thing.

3. Our DL and LB are excellent. Yes, we had problems last year... but many of them are CB problems. Yet, he was able to NOT ONLY hold his own, but actually IMPRESS Cowher last year in camp. It is tough to actually impress Cowher, especially as a rookie. Remember when he was just Ho Hum about Ben his rookie year??

4. And well.. Atlanta Dan is correct. His name isn't max and Starks.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:40 AM   #10
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

I think his future is at RG....with the potential to be a pocket-sized Faneca....having the ability to pull and get out to the perimeter....i am a realistic steelers fan as well and I dont think every single player drafted by the steelers is gonna be a pro bowler...

but i will say that i paid special attention to him the second time around vs the ravens and i liked what i saw...so i am encouraged by his attitude and toughness to play in that environment against that level of competition....

I also believe that Max Starks will be our starting RT to start the season....that doesnt mean i think he will be here in 08 but he will start for us this coming year.

I love to have a strong O line as much as the next guy...but there is a major doubt in my mind that we will draft a O lineman in rounds 1 or 2....Colon, Kemo, Essex, Simmons are guys that give us depth and teams usually dont draft O linemen in early rounds if they dont have to....many GMs out there believe that you can build a solid O line through rounds 3-5...

Personally I would like to see Simmons slide over to play C, Starks play RT, and let Kemo and Colon fight it out over the RG position.

Okobi makes me really nervous....he is so dam little
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote