Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-15-2007, 05:21 AM   #1
rags1336
Water Boy

Member Number: 4675
Default Mike Williams

Rumor has it that the Lions might be ready to part ways with their former #1 pick. I think if the risk isn't to high the Steelers should look at bringing him in. By risk I mean that considering he is a former 1st round pick and this would only be his third season would it cost too much to bring him in and to have him fail? This guy could be the big reciever we have been looking for, he is 6'4 and was a stud at USC, he is looking like a bust as of right now but he was playing for the Lions and might have got lost in the shuffle of all those #1 WR picks. This might satisfy both crowds that say that we need to draft a tall WR and those that would like to have a big WR but don't want to waste a pick being that we have other holes that need filled. Lets look at three different scenarios at bringing him in if the cost is right.
Worst case he comes in camp to compete with Wilson, he proves that he is a bust and is cut before week 1.
A good scenario would be that he comes in and does a good job as a role player as the 3rd or 4th WR in Ariens' new system.
Best case scenario is that he proves all his skeptics wrong and proves to everyone that he was worth a number one pick and goes on to have a great long career next to Holmes once Ward retires making the Steelers look like geniouses for giving him a second chance.
I don't know how expensive he would be, he might be able to be signed at the veteran minimum, but that would only be a 1 year contract and if scenario #3 comes true the Steelers would lose him in FA the very next year. I think if we could get him to sign a cost effective 2-3 year deal we would either have a good 3rd or 4th WR for a few years or giving us the option to extend him for the big money if #3 comes true. Any thoughts on this?
rags1336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #2
aussiesteelers
Water Boy

Member Number: 5027
Default Re: Mike Williams

if the price is right, then maybe it's worth a shot. it has been annoying not having a big WR for big ben to target in the red zone.
aussiesteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

love the idea....but the steelers front office has shown over the years that they just dont take gambles like this....they are one of the most conservative teams in the league....they would rather take a shot with a nate washington or lee mays than take a flyer on a guy like Williams....

Me personally...I wouldnt mind seeing it....but then again I feel that our WR core is pretty thin and I would be open to just about any attempt at an upgrade of talent....

Let me be more specific: an upgrade of talent that doesnt involve some unknown undrafted free agent out of NFL Europe....

Unfortunately that is probably more likely to happen than anything else
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
Hines86Ward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2256

I would like to see what Williams could bring to the table. I thought he's been mistreated in Detroit. They're about him getting his weight down, but he played at the same weight all through college & it didn't effect his play. He's a good WR, and if we could get him for the right price then we should give him a chance....
Old 02-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #5
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

The guy was a stud in college. I think going to the Lions did not help his cause. Maybe a new system would suit him better.

I like the idea of him lining up next to Santonio but I wonder if the FO even has him on their radar?
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines86Ward View Post
I would like to see what Williams could bring to the table. I thought he's been mistreated in Detroit. They're about him getting his weight down, but he played at the same weight all through college & it didn't effect his play. He's a good WR, and if we could get him for the right price then we should give him a chance....
I seem to remember the new Head Coach at Detroit having some problems "motivating" Mike Williams...and there were rumours of Mike being lazy and enjoying the paychecks more than enjoying the game.

IF those rumours have any basis in fact...I hope Tomlin treats him like he has the plague.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

The steelers ran off Plex for his motivation and team concept issues.... and he was a perenial 1,000 yd guy who also served as an unbelievable red zone threat... I highly doubt the steelers would acquire williams who suffers from similar "mental" ailments
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
wise1s
Water Boy

Member Number: 3305

I think Williams would be a good pick-up, bring him in and if he'd sign a performance based contract that would give him incentive to work harder. Having a big threat will only free up Ward and Holmes.
wise1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

seriously if e pay him vet minimum and have a ton of incentives, then sign him to a 3 year deal, then we will either have a small cap hit when we cut the guy, or a #1 reciever for cheap
Old 02-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

we do not need him. The steelers already have their future WRs set for the next 10 years and there names are Nate Washington and Santiono Holmes

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote