Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-15-2007, 08:38 AM   #1
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default Smartest thing I have heard out of the Front office so far!!!

t's time to decide who stays, who goes

Thursday, February 15, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers start their final evaluations of free agents today as the new coaches join the scouting staff to make up a wish list of players they might add to their team and those they do not want -- perhaps including some of their own.

The Steelers have no unrestricted free agents who started for them last season, and only one who is restricted -- offensive right tackle Max Starks. It's likely some players under contract won't be asked back, particularly if the Steelers believe they can release a player to make room under their salary cap to sign another.

"We were an 8-8 team," Kevin Colbert, their football operations director, said yesterday. "For us to think we can stand pat and be any better than that, I think would be naive on our part."

Thank you Mr. Colbert....I am glad someone said it....if we begin the season with the same 22 starters and the same players at vital backup spots (#2RB, #3&4 WR, #3ILB) then we are gonna be in trouble when it comes to making the playoffs and experiencing success in them.

So to all of you loyal (to a fault at times) Steeler fans...we dont have the greatest players on earth and we have to make changes at a few spots....I think this will be a very interesting off season...hopefully the front office is aggressive in their thinking this summer...and judging by Colberts words it appears they will be
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: Smartest thing I have heard out of the Front office so far!!!

At least we know the FO isn't complacent! Now time for the leaders to be the same way!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Stillers43
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2322

Agreed! We have a lot of talent, but there is room for improvement! HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO! Super Bowl Bound in 07-08!

HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!
Stillers43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
JDB in N.C.
Water Boy

Location: I live in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina.
Member Number: 4909

That's 100% correct.

8-8 team equals pretty big changes.

But the good thing is they are already off to a good start with the coaching change ups.
JDB in N.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
rags1336
Water Boy

Member Number: 4675

Right after the season Mr. Rooney eluded to big changes on the way, and now Colbert is confirming that. It is going to be nice to see some competition on this team. I think we are in for a real treat come preseason getting to watch guys fight for their jobs instead of being handed the job based on their friendliness with the coach. If the Steelers do not bring in any top teir free agents who would come in as a starter, I see them bringing in several guys that would battle for a starting job with the current guys.
rags1336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I totally agree with what Colbert said.

I think these are some changes that need made:

Offense

Make Santonio Holmes the #2 WR,and make Washington the #3 reciever.Wilson,Morey,and Mays just aren't that good.

Let Kemoeatu and Essex start.Our o-line sucked last year,and these players are ready to start IMHO,especially Kemoeatu.They are young and have the energy that Simmons and Smith just don't bring.

Make the RT spot an open competition in TC.The better player,Starks or Colon get the job and the loser is the backup.

I don't know what to do about the C problem.Hartings is gone,but he didn't play very well last year.I don't think Chukky is the answer,and I don't know if Phillip is starter-caliber.

Parker is the starter,but I would like to see us either resighn Davenport or draft Bush in the second round.

DEFNESE

Draft a player that can play OLB in the 3-4 in round one.He'll replace Porter next year,and be able to learn the system by sitting the bench this year.

Replace Haggans as a starter with Harrison.Harrison is a big play-maker and Haggans isn't anymore.

Replace Townsend as a starter with McFadden.He's got more speed and I feel is a better player than Townsend is.But keep Townsend,he's a good backup and can provide leadership as a veteran.

Make Anthony Smith the starter at FS.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I like what I'm hearing.

An 8-8 season consisting of two shutout losses, a loss to perhaps the worst team in the league, and being outscored by your biggest division rival 58-7? Yes, there is definite room for improvement for the whole team. Offense, Defense, Special Teams, even the whole coaching staff.

The Cowher Era is over, and it's time to start looking toward the future. Colbert has the right idea. Big changes are abound for our Steelers.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,248 Times in 3,624 Posts

Let's see how big the changes will be.

In terms of dealing with the salary cap and free agents after 2007, Porter is definitely gone and Faneca probably is (which may explain Faneca's candid reaction to the new HC hiring). Big ? for me is whether Troy will be signed up beyond 2007. Hope to see some major movement on that ASAP.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags1336 View Post
Right after the season Mr. Rooney eluded to big changes on the way, and now Colbert is confirming that. It is going to be nice to see some competition on this team. I think we are in for a real treat come preseason getting to watch guys fight for their jobs instead of being handed the job based on their friendliness with the coach. If the Steelers do not bring in any top teir free agents who would come in as a starter, I see them bringing in several guys that would battle for a starting job with the current guys.
I'm not convinced that players were handed their jobs because they were friendly with Cowher, rags. This team as constructed, and minus only three starters (three key starters, as it turned out in hindsight, in Bettis, Randle El and Hope) was only six months removed from a Super Bowl championship; Ben's accident notwithstanding, was there any reason to think that an 8-8 season, or for that matter a 2-6 first half of the season, was realistically in the cards when training camp opened?

Sure, I think there was somewhat of an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality about the beginning of last season (it is Pittsburgh, after all, which is Mecca for "that's the way we've always done it - why change now?"), but I think Cowher and Colbert and the Rooneys truly believed the talent was sufficient to make another Super Bowl run. Turns out they were wrong, though in my opinion it wasn't strictly for lack of talent. I think there is still enough talent on the team, but too many players who were peaking just as the Steelers made their Super Bowl run of 8 straight games "aged" at the same time between this past season and the Super Bowl season. Their play collectively dropped off just enough to make the difference between a great team and a mediocre team.

Lots of roster spots look to be up for grabs this season. With a new coach coming in who says that the slates of all players are wiped clean and what they've done in the past doesn't concern him, competition figures to be wide open. Should make for a great training camp!

The Steelers only take free agents if the price is right, so I don't look for any major acquisitions on that front.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
If you ask me, the coaching was half the problem last year. Lazy-ass Cowher didn't get them ready for the season.

Ok, I will confess that last season was not one of the most stellar under Cowher's tenure, but the "lazy ass" comment was totally unncessary and plain rude. Check yourself, man.