Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-15-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
geo1963
Water Boy

Member Number: 5009
Default Re: Smartest thing I have heard out of the Front office so far!!!

Sorry, but I do feel alot of the core veterans on this team became very complacent last year under cowher. If you look at the entire season there were so many fundamental mistakes made in turnovers, personal foul penalties and just overall bad decisions being made by guys that have been in this league for years, and that know what it takes to be a campionship team. It was definitely time for a change, and so far everything i'm seeing is a step in the right direction. In no way am I bashing Cowher, I love the guy, but I think he gave these guys too much credit for being able to handle their business. No, we do not need to make huge changes, there is a helluva lot of talent on this team, but it's nice to see what seems to be a bit of a message being sent out by Steeler management that production is what counts, not reputation
geo1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
t's time to decide who stays, who goes

Thursday, February 15, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers start their final evaluations of free agents today as the new coaches join the scouting staff to make up a wish list of players they might add to their team and those they do not want -- perhaps including some of their own.

The Steelers have no unrestricted free agents who started for them last season, and only one who is restricted -- offensive right tackle Max Starks. It's likely some players under contract won't be asked back, particularly if the Steelers believe they can release a player to make room under their salary cap to sign another.

"We were an 8-8 team," Kevin Colbert, their football operations director, said yesterday. "For us to think we can stand pat and be any better than that, I think would be naive on our part."

Thank you Mr. Colbert....I am glad someone said it....if we begin the season with the same 22 starters and the same players at vital backup spots (#2RB, #3&4 WR, #3ILB) then we are gonna be in trouble when it comes to making the playoffs and experiencing success in them.

So to all of you loyal (to a fault at times) Steeler fans...we dont have the greatest players on earth and we have to make changes at a few spots....I think this will be a very interesting off season...hopefully the front office is aggressive in their thinking this summer...and judging by Colberts words it appears they will be
Colbert is right. We can't just stand at 8-8. We must step forward. We have the talent to go all the way to Glendale. And I think we'll go there and WIN IT.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Dylan
Starter

Member Number: 3276

we do need to make some changes but not many major ones
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
43FlyingHair
Water Boy

Member Number: 1382

Quote:
Parker is the starter,but I would like to see us either resighn Davenport
I think the RB corps is pretty solid with Parker, Davenport and Kuhn. There's a good mixture of speed, finesse and power there. It's not the pounding running game we all loved from the Bus, but there's only one Bus and you can't expect every running back to be the same as him.
43FlyingHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:21 PM   #15
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

The talent is there in abundance. The problem last year was lack of discipline (needless turnovers) and the on/off switch that was Ben last year. You never knew which Ben would show up, but he got better & better as the year went on.

I'm hoping for a much better year next season.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:08 AM   #16
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43FlyingHair View Post
I think the RB corps is pretty solid with Parker, Davenport and Kuhn. There's a good mixture of speed, finesse and power there. It's not the pounding running game we all loved from the Bus, but there's only one Bus and you can't expect every running back to be the same as him.
Kuhn????!?!?! the guy got what ... 2 carries last year??? parker is the only legit RB on the roster right now. The steelers need to draft a back with a little more size on day 1 ... ala tony hunt or brian leonard or possibly michael bush if he falls far enough. I don't think we'll make a move in FA for a RB, but tomlin seemed to make it pretty clear that steelers need another answer at running back. No knock on willie, obviously because he is a probowler, but insurance and change of pace/complementary running style.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:24 PM   #17
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Well, I guess they will have to re-evaluate everyone and take in what that person means to the team, if they are young enough to be here for a long time, if they weren't playing their best and why( for example, injuries might be an acceptable reason), and CAP issues.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #18
dunkuntou
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4780

Some of you are going a little overboard here. While 8-8 doesn't mean stand pat, it also doesn't mean total overhaul.

Trai Essex has been solid but he is a career backup and Chris Kemoeatu did not play very well. He still needs at least another year before he can be given a chance to start

Cedrick Wilson needs to go...he makes too much and he is our 4th best receiver.

DO NOT DRAFT A LB IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!

First, there are no LB worthy of a first round selection at 16. You can find linebackers throughout the draft and get better value in the middle rounds

We need to make some changes but not drastic ones. How quickly you forget this team won the Super Bowl with essentially the same team.

Chris Hope was nothing special
Randle El is a solid player but Santonio Holmes had more receiving yards as a rookie than Randle El has in any of his seasons

Limit the turnovers and this team is fine
dunkuntou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm glad to see that someone in the F.O. gets it. We have to make some changes in a couple of key positions and there is no disputing that. We aren't the Bungles or the Browns - we are the Pittsburgh Steelers and an 8-8 season just doesn't cut it. There is no reason whatsoever that this team can't get it together, turn it around and make a legitimate run at SBXLII.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #20
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Just glad to see that someone kind of knows what to
look for and keep their priorities straight.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote