Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Hardaway: "I hate gay people"

Maybe I'm in the minority on this...but I DO sort of understand were an athlete would have a RIGHT to know.
In my case..I served in the army and looked at it this way...Female soldiers have a right to not be quartered with male soldiers if it can be helped..and most certainly have a right to not have to shower and use the same bathroom facilities as males.
Even if no male EVER even says a word to them..never even looks at them,,the female can justiviably say that she was placed in a situation that by common sense standards can be called sexually intimidating

As a male..I have the same right to not be put into that situation.

There is a serious double standard in this regards. If I say I dont want to be in a situation like this..I would be viewed as homophobic
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:51 PM   #12
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority on this...but I DO sort of understand were an athlete would have a RIGHT to know.
In my case..I served in the army and looked at it this way...Female soldiers have a right to not be quartered with male soldiers if it can be helped..and most certainly have a right to not have to shower and use the same bathroom facilities as males.
Even if no male EVER even says a word to them..never even looks at them,,the female can justiviably say that she was placed in a situation that by common sense standards can be called sexually intimidating

There is a serious double standard in this regards. If I say I dont want to be in a situation like this..I would be viewed as homophobic
Good point. When I played ice hockey I would not be surprised if there were gay players on my team. Now, I would feel a little odd being in the shower with a gay man. Much like I would with a straight woman that I did not know personally. It's a different "odd", but it's still odd nonetheless.

If I knew a certain player on my team was gay I would probably wait until I got home to take a shower. Much like I would if there was a girl on my team. While I may have a vision of a bad episode of "OZ" going through my head, it has more to do with the fact that person in that shower likes the same sex that I happen to be. The same would be true of a straight woman in the shower as a straight male. Actually, our HC's daughter and a few of her friends were on the team (in a different league) for a year and they showered and changed in a different lockerroom.

Double standard is right.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 02-15-2007 at 12:56 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #13
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

For some reason, I now feel the need to drink beer, eat raw meat (don't go there Tony) and grunt like a caveman after this conversation...lol.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
For some reason, I now feel the need to drink beer, eat raw meat (don't go there Tony) and grunt like a caveman after this conversation...lol.

c'mon, a little sushi never hurt anyone. you know, some red snapper, fur bearing trout, or a bearded clam.

but since were on the topic, i'd like to announce to steelersfever (and the rest of the world) that i am straight. whew, glad i got that off my chest. no sausage parties for me.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i'd like to announce to steelersfever (and the rest of the world) that i am straight. whew, glad i got that off my chest. no sausage parties for me.
Hey! I announced that I was straight first. Your just trying to sell more books and get more press.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #16
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Awe come one... Tim just need to eat a couple Snickers bars and he'll be cured.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:35 PM   #17
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

LLT, I agree with you on this. Although I think Hardaway's comments were ridiculously over the top and downright mean-spirited, I kind of understand the premise.

My personal belief is that homosexuality is wrong, but please do not lump me in with that moronic bunch of so-called Christians who go around with protest signs saying "God hates f***." God is love, so he cannot hate anyone...ok I'm digressing a little.

Anyway, I think if I were a (straight) male basketball player, I would be more than slightly uncomfortable if put in that situation, although many may see it as short-sighted, I think people have a right to their feelings. I know a few gay and bi-sexual men as well as lesbians, and I get along with them. Would I say we are close friends? No, but I do not make a point of condemning them.

Hardaway made a complete jackass of himself. He could have been a lot more careful in his answer....something like "I have to be honest..I cannot say I would be comfortable with a gay man as a teammate." Instead he shot off at the mouth and came across as ignorant and bigoted.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Hey! I announced that I was straight first. Your just trying to sell more books and get more press.
lol. nah, i just want more chicks!
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #19
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Good point. When I played ice hockey I would not be surprised if there were gay players on my team. Now, I would feel a little odd being in the shower with a gay man. Much like I would with a straight woman that I did not know personally. It's a different "odd", but it's still odd nonetheless.

If I knew a certain player on my team was gay I would probably wait until I got home to take a shower. Much like I would if there was a girl on my team. While I may have a vision of a bad episode of "OZ" going through my head, it has more to do with the fact that person in that shower likes the same sex that I happen to be. The same would be true of a straight woman in the shower as a straight male. Actually, our HC's daughter and a few of her friends were on the team (in a different league) for a year and they showered and changed in a different lockerroom.

Double standard is right.
Good point, 83, and I get where you're coming from. In all honesty, I'm not sure how to address that issue, except to say that there are indeed gay people in professional sports, so the whole shower/locker room issue definitely does occur, whether others know it at the time or not. I do understand your level of discomfort, even though I myself would not feel that way if I were in a shower or locker room with a gay female.

Let me ask you this, though -- assuming your teammate is a skilled and talented athlete who is more than capable of helping your team win (as could certainly be said about Mr. Amaechi), would you accept him as a team member without reservation, simply in terms of his professional abilities, if you knew he was gay? That's the bigger issue for me -- that even if someone's lifestyle causes some personal discomfort, it can be put aside in a professional capacity. After all, whether you're a professional athlete or an accountant or a brain surgeon or a minister or a secretary or whatever, it's highly probable that there are gay people somewhere in your workplace every day. Aside from Mr. Hardaway saying that he hates gay people, to me the second most inflammatory remark he made is that "I wouldn't want him on my team."

Not unlike the way most of us feel about Coach Tomlin (i.e., no one cares if he's purple as long as he's a good coach, the players like and respect him, and the Steelers WIN), I think all of our professional lives could be vastly improved if we could put aside our personal prejudices and judge our co-workers solely on the basis of what they bring professionally to the team.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #20
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
lol. nah, i just want more chicks!