Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #81
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Hardaway: "I hate gay people"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Shrug. The white bread syndrome. Rush isn't hurting for people to pay him to talk. But a qualification for being a spokesperson is being non-controversial. What you're saying is similar to saying, "Good luck holding a job as an NBA player if you're an old fat guy." Polarizing personalities, or as you said, people who piss other people off, make poor spokesmen. The NBA owes no one a career, the media owes no one a stage. They make the decisions based on how the dollars fly.

Tom
Yeah, I can agree with that - I think the rub is in the fact that "freedom of speech" is a democratic principle, while the American workplace in general is anything but democratic.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #82
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
America has freedom of speech. And in America you have the freedom to criticize others' speech.

What we don't have is the right to keep anyone from speaking, and no one has done that. Heck, the debates over sexual orientation, religion, and racism are proof of free speech!

Hardaway might not have meant it when he said he hates gays... but Pastor Fred Phelps does. And Pastor Phelps has complete freedom to spread his message to anyone willing to hear it, and also to those who don't, by demonstrating at servicemens' funerals.

People are free to disagree with each other. Disagreeing and criticizing aren't censoring, and aren't an abrogation of freedom of speech.
On May 24, 2006, the United States House and Senate passed the Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act, which President Bush signed five days later. The act bans protests within 300 feet of national cemeteries from 60 minutes before a funeral to 60 minutes after it. Violators face up to a $100,000 fine and up to a year in prison.

The American Civil Liberties Union (bottom feeding pieces of human refuge) filed a lawsuit in Missouri on behalf of Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church to overturn the ban on the picketing of soldier's funerals.

To counter the Phelps' protests at funerals of soldiers, a group of Veteran motorcycle riders has formed the Patriot Guard Riders to provide a nonviolent, volunteer buffer between the protesters and mourners.

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 02-22-2007 at 12:14 PM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:22 PM   #83
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
On May 24, 2006, the United States House and Senate passed the Respect for America's Fallen Heroes Act, which President Bush signed five days later. The act bans protests within 300 feet of national cemeteries from 60 minutes before a funeral to 60 minutes after it. Violators face up to a $100,000 fine and up to a year in prison.

The American Civil Liberties Union (bottom feeding pieces of human refuge) filed a lawsuit in Missouri on behalf of Phelps and Westboro Baptist Church to overturn the ban on the picketing of soldier's funerals.

To counter the Phelps' protests at funerals of soldiers, a group of Veteran motorcycle riders has formed the Patriot Guard Riders to provide a nonviolent, volunteer buffer between the protesters and mourners.

Thanks for the update, LLT. I thought that there were local ordinances, I didn't know there was a federal law passed.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #84
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I'm sticking with my simple argument: Hardaway is wrong, but he's allowed to say what he wants, and it was wrong for the NBA to "banish" him. He apologized for financial reasons.

I'm sick to death with all the attempts to homogenize and assimilate everyone into some kind of happy collective, and even more disturbed to see the trickle-down. People aren't nice to each other by nature, and forcing them to act as though they are is wrong...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #85
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post
I'm sticking with my simple argument: Hardaway is wrong, but he's allowed to say what he wants, and it was wrong for the NBA to "banish" him. He apologized for financial reasons.

I'm sick to death with all the attempts to homogenize and assimilate everyone into some kind of happy collective, and even more disturbed to see the trickle-down. People aren't nice to each other by nature, and forcing them to act as though they are is wrong...
Gotta say I agree with you, except that the NBA did have a right to banish him. In the same way I had a right not to buy a Dixie chick album after what they said about the President (I never bought one before either!).
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #86
IESteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 5044
Angry Re: Hardaway: "I hate gay people"

If I remember the interview correctly, this was the last question asked. He was asked to comment on Amaechi's book and what he would have done if there was a gay man on his team. Personally, the first thought that went through my mind was finally, someone comes out in the media and says what they feel and dosn't care about hurting someones feelings. This country has gotten so politically correct, you can never really say your true feelings for fear of upsetting someone. Its like the Snickers super bowl commercial. I thought it was one of the funniest things playing but they had to take it off the air because it offended GLADD. I was ticked off that he actually apologized. Showas you how much political power groups like GLADD has.
IESteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #87
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post

I think I understand what you mean now. The only thing I can say is, that would be a lot to ask from the NBA and media. The concept of people being rewarded for integrity is somewhat foreign in a world where appearances are all-important.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM   #88
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Quote:
I think I understand what you mean now. The only thing I can say is, that would be a lot to ask from the NBA and media. The concept of people being rewarded for integrity is somewhat foreign in a world where appearances are all-important.

Tom
He shouldn't be rewarded. He should be heavily fined and suspended for a few games. I consider this akin to if I told some off-color jokes at work and some busybody who overheard got upset and pitched a bitch. The proper response would maybe be a stern talking to from the boss to be more careful about what I say and where, and also a brief meeting with the busybody to tell her/him to lighten up a bit.

Instead, in today's hypersensitive World I'd be fired, my boss would be reassigned to the Arctic watch station office, the company would be sued for 10 million (and would lose) and the busybody would get promoted over what is basically nothing.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote