Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
geo1963
Water Boy

Member Number: 5009
Default Thoughts on Anthony Gonzalez

I would love the Steelers to try and sneak away with Anthony Gonzalez in the second round of the draft. This guy has great speed, great hands, great attitude, great football sense, and is an excellent blocker..sounds like the reincarnation of Heinz Ward. Would be great to be groomed under Heinz for a few years and then try to fill the void when Heinz goes
geo1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,689 Times in 2,897 Posts
Default Re: Thoughts on Anthony Gonzalez

a 2nd round pick on someone who will be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart?

i would rather

A) spend some $$$ on keyshawn johnson to be a bona fide #3 or
B) take a flyer on a late round player like m. coulston or h. baskett from last years draft
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
geo1963
Water Boy

This guy could be the steal of the draft....second or third receiver, paired with heinz and santonio, nice three of a kind. no way on keyshawn going in the wrong direction there
Old 02-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,689 Times in 2,897 Posts

ok. on to plan B) a 7th round pick for m. coulston was the steal of the draft last year. spending a 2nd round pick on a possible steal (especially at wr) doesnt sit too well with me.

on the running back side of things, lendale white was supposed to be the steal of the draft last year.

you never plan for, or draft high, to get a steal. you want the surest thing possible. if the steelers think that gonzales is the best player on the board with the 47th pick or so, then by all means, draft him. i doubt that will be the case though.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
geo1963
Water Boy

who do you feel would be ??
Old 02-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

I like Anthony Gonzalez alot and I think he will be a solid NFL player. But like Hipchest said you don't spend a 2nd rounder on player that is going to be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart not unless he is the best available player in the 2nd round when the Steelers draft.

But what if the Steelers view Gonzalez as a future replacement for Hines Ward? Lets face it Ward is starting to get up there. But I still would wait further in the draft to draft a WR. With Ariens talk of using more 4 WR sets the need will be there to draft another WR at some point. Unless the Steelers are just content with Ward, Holmes, Washington and Wilson. Then there is Willie Reid and the usual suspects that get cut in training camp like Walter Young.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo1963 View Post
I would love the Steelers to try and sneak away with Anthony Gonzalez in the second round of the draft. This guy has great speed, great hands, great attitude, great football sense, and is an excellent blocker..sounds like the reincarnation of Heinz Ward. Would be great to be groomed under Heinz for a few years and then try to fill the void when Heinz goes

Gonzalez at his current level of abilty is a considerable upgrade over Cedric Wilson, Nate Washington and very possibly Reid. But with that said,.... i think we have more pressing needs to address in the 1st and 2nd round. And there's no way he'd be on the board in the 3rd IMO.
Calvin Johnson is the only WR that i think would be worth us making moves to aquire in the first. This kid just ran a 4.3 in his pre combine workouts ! (WTF) With his size, hands, agility and work ethic. He is easily THE best offensive player in this Draft.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
A.M.
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4226

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo1963 View Post
This guy could be the steal of the draft....second or third receiver, paired with heinz and santonio, nice three of a kind. no way on keyshawn going in the wrong direction there
lol I do hope that you meant Hines and not Heinz...are you really a steelers fan lol?

www.freewebs.com/hacproductions
A.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Hines86Ward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2256

Here's my thoughts on Anthony Gonzalez....

He's not good at running routes & I don't think his hands are great either. There's no reason for the Steelers to draft a WR in the first 3 rounds. If Gonzalez is there in the 4th & the Steelers FO thinks he's a good fit, then take him. But I highly doubt you'll see the Steelers pick him.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
Stainless Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4986

I hate to think about ANY particular person when it comes draft day. We should have our picks prioritized. Gonzo was reliable for the Buckeyes throughout the regular season. It will be interesting to see how he does in the pros.

Stainless Steel is offline   Reply With Quote