Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-16-2007, 12:31 AM   #1
steeldogAL
Water Boy

Member Number: 5019
Talking Contracts

Does anyone know the status of Big Ben's or Polamalu's contracts. I think they are both in their last seasons or close to it.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Contracts

Polamalu is in his last year.

Quote:
The Steelers will pay Polamalu a $225,000 salary this year -- the rookie minimum -- with his base wages increasing to $305,000, $566,000, $827,000 and $1.088 million through 2007.
Roethlisberger is contracted until the end of the 2009 season.

Quote:
On August 4, 2004 Roethlisberger signed a six-year contract worth $22.26 million in salaries and bonuses, with an additional $17.73 million available via incentives.
NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 05:05 AM   #3
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

That is actually fortuitous for the Steelers to have their two franchise players' contracts end 2 seasons apart - it should allow them some flexibility in their personnel decisions to give them the extra cap room they will need to sign them both to extensions. You would think that they will begin negotiating Troy's extension ASAP - they will have to break the bank to re-sign him, and they shouldn't even think twice about doing so.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:29 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
That is actually fortuitous for the Steelers to have their two franchise players' contracts end 2 seasons apart - it should allow them some flexibility in their personnel decisions to give them the extra cap room they will need to sign them both to extensions. You would think that they will begin negotiating Troy's extension ASAP - they will have to break the bank to re-sign him, and they shouldn't even think twice about doing so.
I think its safe to say that another team will be in a position to offer more than the Steelers for his services (what with potential cap room).

The Steelers have to offer him enough so that he doesn't feel like they are taking advantage of his natural loyalty.

I think Pittsburgh may get lucky - everything I have read about him makes me think he sees the 'bigger picture' ie, that being happy with your employers and your location is more important than a couple of extra mil in the bank.

There is no doubt in my mind that Pittsburgh will be challenging on a much more regular basis than any of the teams who have a large amount of cap room that will likely bid for him.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #5
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
I think its safe to say that another team will be in a position to offer more than the Steelers for his services (what with potential cap room).

The Steelers have to offer him enough so that he doesn't feel like they are taking advantage of his natural loyalty.

I think Pittsburgh may get lucky - everything I have read about him makes me think he sees the 'bigger picture' ie, that being happy with your employers and your location is more important than a couple of extra mil in the bank.

There is no doubt in my mind that Pittsburgh will be challenging on a much more regular basis than any of the teams who have a large amount of cap room that will likely bid for him.

NM
I agree, however they have to realize that Troy is part of the "core" of the team and one guy they definitely cannot afford to lose. IMO, it is going to take an 8-figure signing bonus as a starting point toward an extension, and recent history shows that they are extremely hesitant about paying that kind of cash up front. Having Art Rooney II as the point man in those contract negotiations doesn't make me feel all that comfortable, either.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
steel#1
Water Boy

Member Number: 3322

I have to believe that they will do everything humanly possible to sign Troy. They have to have listened to the profuse praise from every other coach in the league and realize that he would be signed in a heartbeat by anybody. Also they have to know that as important as Ben is to the offense, Troy is the QB of the defense, and is as equally important.
steel#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I agree, however they have to realize that Troy is part of the "core" of the team and one guy they definitely cannot afford to lose. IMO, it is going to take an 8-figure signing bonus as a starting point toward an extension, and recent history shows that they are extremely hesitant about paying that kind of cash up front. Having Art Rooney II as the point man in those contract negotiations doesn't make me feel all that comfortable, either.
I think the Patriots and the Steelers FO operate along similar lines.

New England was willing to pay whatever it took to the two players it thought were indispensible - Tom Brady and Richard Seymour.

Its possible that Pittsburgh value Troy in a similar bracket - I can't imagine anything worse than Steeler fans watching Troy line up against them for a postseason opponent.

NM
Old 02-16-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
ExtonSteelFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1867

It'll be interesting to see how Troy's situation plays out. I remember a few posters here mentioning his cuncussions and how it may or may not affect his contract renewal. I for one believe he will be a steeler, but you never know how things are gonna play out. I really hope the FO makes it a priority to keep him around.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Troy seems to have the humble approach for now. Hopefully he keeps that mentality. At the end of the day it's all about the money for many players. Hopefully stability and longevity are important to Troy.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 12:32 PM   #10
steelin games
Water Boy

Member Number: 2748

Even if they can't get him signed this offseason, they would most likely use the franchise tag next season to keep Troy off the market.
steelin games is offline   Reply With Quote