Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-23-2005, 07:41 AM   #31
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109
Default Re: Staley needs to go

Don't think Staley doesn't know he is becomming the Batch of the backfield. Too much money and injuries to have a lengthy stay. Does Duckett become a FA this year?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:19 AM   #32
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

You guys really are the epitomy of Steeler fans. Let me guess Ben's first pick and you'll be calling for his head too, or when Hines drops a a ball, OMG cut him !!! He's horrible. Give the guy a break, he got elected the NFL's toughest player 2 years ago with the Eagles....ya he does get hurt and miss games, but ya know what, ALL RB's do. Duce has never missed a full season, just cut him some slack, gesh...... oh ya i forgot, we have parker and herron and haynes (ya he's a real healthy backup) lol, but as soon a they sprain an ankle or miss a game, guess they'll have to go as well.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:21 PM   #33
Ironman
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
Give the guy a break, he got elected the NFL's toughest player 2 years ago with the Eagles.

"NFL's toughest player 2 years ago"... "Best blocking WR in the game"... "Miss Congeniality"... those are all titles that look good on a sash around some 4th place bimbo's chest at the Miss America pagent but they translate to nothing in the end. If the epitome of a Steelers fan is someone who cares more about the jersey than the robots wearing it, then I'm it. I don't care who wears 36 or 7 or 86. I just want wins... and fragile running backs and blocking WR aren't going to get them. Go ahead and love your Hines and your Duce... just don't love them to 8-8 and no play-offs. Thank God for our defense...we'd be in a hell of a spot.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:37 PM   #34
acrossthepond
Water Boy

Member Number: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
I think considering how injury prone Staley is, we should get rid of him at the end of the season. With our o-line and RB reserves, I think we could better use the money we are paying Staley. What do you all think?
If he is out injured all season and the long-term prognosis is bad then we cut him - I think he'll be OK this year and play well and we'll all have forgotten the issue come January. He has generally played through pain alot in his career if I remember right and played well. According to scout.com "Staley earned a reputation with the Eagles as a tough player who could play with the pain and bounce back from injury."
acrossthepond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:12 AM   #35
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
You guys really are the epitomy of Steeler fans. Let me guess Ben's first pick and you'll be calling for his head too, or when Hines drops a a ball, OMG cut him !!! He's horrible. Give the guy a break, he got elected the NFL's toughest player 2 years ago with the Eagles....ya he does get hurt and miss games, but ya know what, ALL RB's do. Duce has never missed a full season, just cut him some slack, gesh...... oh ya i forgot, we have parker and herron and haynes (ya he's a real healthy backup) lol, but as soon a they sprain an ankle or miss a game, guess they'll have to go as well.
Don't get me wrong, we loved Fu'Amatu as well, but as the injuries stack up you just give other guys chances to give reason why we shouldn't pay you. Would love for Duce to stay healthy. Would love for Simmons to stay healthy. But if they don't and others step up, I can understand it. Some point you have to factor in the return on investment. We are not paying him #1 back money to play in only half the games(not that injury is his fault). If this becomes a constant problem, then you have to be ready with a plan B.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #36
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamataco1
I don't agree with you at all. Duce is way over paid. And management should have for seen the likely hood that he would spend sugnificant time on IR. At the time he was hired he was given a contract that made him the 5th highest paid running back in the NFL. I ask you is he the 5th best running back in the NFL? I sincerly doubt it, I don't think that he is even in the top ten. This was a major error on the part of the front office, one that will hurt the team cap wise for quite a while.
Ok, I'm really not trying to sound like a smart ass here, but did you even look up what his salary is and the cap hit he brings? According to your arguement, about him being injured too often the front office did his contract PERFECTLY!

2004 Salary = $660,000 Cap Hit = $1.4 Mill
2005 Salary = $665,000 Cap Hit = $1.8 Mill
2006 Salary = $2.5 Mill Cap Hit = $3.6 Mill

That glaringly says, they knew he has never played a full season healthy and worked the contract accordingly. If Deuce stayed healthy for the first two years of the deal (I assume) they wouldn't mind taking the hit on the last year (given how well he runs when healthy), if he doesn't they have the option of cutting him post 6/1 and only taking a $1.1 Mill cap hit.

Saying someone is the fifth highest paid player is sooo skewed these days. I think management did an excellent job with this contract because it gives them an out if they are not satisfied with his performance or his health.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #37
SteelZeal
Water Boy

Member Number: 552

Looking at those cap numbers, I think it's nearly a given that this is Duce's last year as a Steeler. We can't be taking a 2.5 mil cap hit for him next year, especially with Casey's new contract and (hopefully) a new deal for Hines.

If Duce is gone and Bus retires, Parker probably becomes the starter, Haynes will be around, and we'll pick up another RB in next year's draft. Plus we may hang onto Noah Herron. And personally, I'd be OK with that situation at RB next year.
SteelZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:26 PM   #38
rowedf
Bench Warmer

I agree, I think we have some young talent that has promise. Following the scenerio of Bettis retiring and Deuce being released for cap reasons (unless he has an excellent, healthy year) I like having Haynes, Parker, Herron and then adding a veteran FA.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #39
acrossthepond
Water Boy

Member Number: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelZeal
Looking at those cap numbers, I think it's nearly a given that this is Duce's last year as a Steeler. We can't be taking a 2.5 mil cap hit for him next year, especially with Casey's new contract and (hopefully) a new deal for Hines.

If Duce is gone and Bus retires, Parker probably becomes the starter, Haynes will be around, and we'll pick up another RB in next year's draft. Plus we may hang onto Noah Herron. And personally, I'd be OK with that situation at RB next year.
Alternatively they re-do his contract next off-season, pay him his 2006 salary as a SB and re-do his later years at a lower level.
acrossthepond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #40
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Just Remember though, The Steelers Face a risk of Salary Cap Penalties if they release him.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote