Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #41
Bamataco1
Water Boy

Member Number: 402
Default Re: Staley needs to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
Ok, I'm really not trying to sound like a smart ass here, but did you even look up what his salary is and the cap hit he brings? According to your arguement, about him being injured too often the front office did his contract PERFECTLY!

2004 Salary = $660,000 Cap Hit = $1.4 Mill
2005 Salary = $665,000 Cap Hit = $1.8 Mill
2006 Salary = $2.5 Mill Cap Hit = $3.6 Mill

That glaringly says, they knew he has never played a full season healthy and worked the contract accordingly. If Deuce stayed healthy for the first two years of the deal (I assume) they wouldn't mind taking the hit on the last year (given how well he runs when healthy), if he doesn't they have the option of cutting him post 6/1 and only taking a $1.1 Mill cap hit.

Saying someone is the fifth highest paid player is sooo skewed these days. I think management did an excellent job with this contract because it gives them an out if they are not satisfied with his performance or his health.
I guess it depends how you look at it. He should have been paid less. His talent level doesn'r deserve being the 5th highest paid tail back in the league. Even more so considering he misses a lot of games. We could have done better with the same money.
Bamataco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #42
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

But thats what I mean about saying 5th highest paid, that really means nothing the way they space contracts out, if someone signs a deal for 100 million but its a 10 year deal, they'll never see that 100 million, so sayin they are the highest paid player isnt really true.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:35 PM   #43
Bamataco1
Water Boy

Member Number: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
But thats what I mean about saying 5th highest paid, that really means nothing the way they space contracts out, if someone signs a deal for 100 million but its a 10 year deal, they'll never see that 100 million, so sayin they are the highest paid player isnt really true.
Yea I see what you are saying. It's just when I look at our tail back situation I think we could have done better. Duce is injured to much of the time andBettis is getting old. Parker looks good but I doubt that Cowher will use him as the feature tail back.
Bamataco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:41 PM   #44
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Staley is heading down Bust row. I hope it isn`t so , but he just is very unlucky , or fragile.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:46 PM   #45
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

I'm not that worried about the Staley situation. Either way the Steelers are in a position to do what they want.

Scenerio #1: He has a great season, stays reasonably healthy and we keep him
Scenerio #2: He doesnt stay healthy or under performs and we cut him.

After this season is when that decision is going to be made, its how his contract was set up, (low cap hit early, high cap hit late in the deal) so either way, they either get a good back and keep him (while paying him justifably), or cut him, save 2-3 mill on the cap and grab a FA after the season.

I think Parker will seen prime time action tonight. Bettis will get 3-4 carries, Parker the rest (for the half) I dont think they'll use Haynes more than 3rd down back tonight.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:37 PM   #46
Mean Machine
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 426

We need that Duce was injury prone when we got him. Problem with letting him go now is the salary cap hit would would sustain. After Bettis retires next year, it will be him and Willie Parker and that's it. We must focus on the 2006 NFL Draft Class and get a quality RB for depth purposes.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #47
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Next year we'll still have Duce, Haynes, Parker, and probably Herron..so we'll have some decent ones, but either way, the Steelers will not go into next w/ 2 somewhat fragile RB's as the main starters in Duce and Verron. So yeah, I'd look to us go into FA or the draft and grab ourself some insurance at the RB spot.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #48
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

Boot Staley. He is a bum collecting a paycheck. He is what we call a WGF in the military. A WASTE of GOVERNMENT FUNDS. I remember last year when he was voted one of the toughest players in the NFL. I have yet to see that.
Avoid LLoyd1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:52 AM   #49
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
"NFL's toughest player 2 years ago"... "Best blocking WR in the game"... "Miss Congeniality"... those are all titles that look good on a sash around some 4th place bimbo's chest at the Miss America pagent but they translate to nothing in the end. If the epitome of a Steelers fan is someone who cares more about the jersey than the robots wearing it, then I'm it. I don't care who wears 36 or 7 or 86. I just want wins... and fragile running backs and blocking WR aren't going to get them. Go ahead and love your Hines and your Duce... just don't love them to 8-8 and no play-offs. Thank God for our defense...we'd be in a hell of a spot.
Just curious if you considered Lambert a robot as well, obviously not considering your screen name. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and chill! One of the reasons that I have loved this forum from my first day is that this type of bashing and belittling hasn't been frequent. Everyone on this site is obviously a huge fan, there isn't anyone who can say that one is "more" of a fan than the next person. We all have our own personalities that translate into our own ideaology of how our team and front office needs to think. But I beleive that referring to our players as robots instead of the dedicated people that they are, is going just a smidge too far. Our organization has been built around individuals working together as a team forever and I hope it stays that way. I'm not a fan of the revolving-door team. You don't have consistency or the comraderie that is needed to be successful year in and year out. I am an admitted player lover, each on their own merit. And yes, I love their titles and I think maybe they should get pretty sashes at the end of the year like the pagent contestants get.
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 01:12 PM   #50
Avoid LLoyd1975
Starter

Member Number: 376

Staley is a lazy bum who can't play a down of football without crying about a stubbed toe. I can't believe he was voted one of the toughest players last year.
Avoid LLoyd1975 is offline   Reply With Quote