Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 02-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #11
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Re: BIG Recievers

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalufan43 View Post
The pros about Walter Young are that he has size, and ok ball control(dropping passes.) But what concerns me, is his lack of experience.

~Polamalufan43
Young has plenty of experience. But the greatest concern in all is why after two years practice squad and two years NFLE(NFL Europe), why he has not made the starting roaster. If he cannot get the routes down then there would be blown routes and possible INTs and that is what has kept him sideline. He hardly drops the ball even in NFLE. I watch the kid a lot in NFLE. If he does not improve and get it down this year he will not be back next year, I would imagine. Young has some great hands so saying ball control and dropping passes is not a issue. Young to some should of started two years ago by the way he wowed the crowds at camp with his catches. Rout running is very important as a WR, if you blow a route you create a problem that can cause INTs.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross View Post
Young has plenty of experience. But the greatest concern in all is why after two years practice squad and two years NFLE(NFL Europe), why he has not made the starting roaster. If he cannot get the routes down then there would be blown routes and possible INTs and that is what has kept him sideline. He hardly drops the ball even in NFLE. I watch the kid a lot in NFLE. If he does not improve and get it down this year he will not be back next year, I would imagine. Young has some great hands so saying ball control and dropping passes is not a issue. Young to some should of started two years ago by the way he wowed the crowds at camp with his catches. Rout running is very important as a WR, if you blow a route you create a problem that can cause INTs.
What I mean is he hasn't had that much playing time at all in the NFL. What has he played in the NFL, 1 game? He has only played on the Practice Squad and in NFLE...which sure, it is something, but I still feel unsure about him. But, I still think we can give him a chance.

~Polamalufan43
Old 02-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #13
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Hopefully he "learned" because I recall him dropping some easy balls. By no means am I completely giving up on Washington, but I would like to see somebody give the kid some legitimate competition and not just some "warm body" to throw in camp.

Here's to hoping Washington steps it up.
If Washington could get down the easy catches he would be great. He makes some awsome hard catches but then drops the easiest of catch sometimes. I think he gets even better this upcoming season.

With Ward and Holmes being key targets anything else is a positive. And I hope they use Miller correctly and more of.

Holmes missed half of camp for school and it cut him back on the learning curv but the kid picked up good and started running better routes before the end of season so it will be good to see what Holmes can do after a full camp and working with Ben 1 on 1. Holmes played a lot better down the stretch after getting more time in to learn.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #14
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156
Cool Re: BIG Recievers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Hopefully he "learned" because I recall him dropping some easy balls. By no means am I completely giving up on Washington, but I would like to see somebody give the kid some legitimate competition and not just some "warm body" to throw in camp.

Here's to hoping Washington steps it up.
I hear that! ....and agree. ChronoCross made a good point also in that Santonio missed camp and had a LOT of learning to do in a very short time. His game picked up toward the end of the season. Hopefully he and Nate can up their game considerably with the experience/learning curve behind them.

.... .... ...but a tall target still wouldn't hurt either.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:58 AM   #15
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalufan43 View Post
What I mean is he hasn't had that much playing time at all in the NFL. What has he played in the NFL, 1 game? He has only played on the Practice Squad and in NFLE...which sure, it is something, but I still feel unsure about him. But, I still think we can give him a chance.

~Polamalufan43
How could I put this right in away were it sounds decent. I really like the kid from day one. He is big, fast, and great hands. He makes the easy and tough catches. But then he scares me if he runs a wrong route. You know that most of the time the QB will release the ball to a spot on the field were the WR is suppost to be and there is the problem, he turned right instead of left, he went down field to far are to short, costing a INT in the process. I am a firm believer in good route running WRs. I hope this being his 3rd straight year that he picks it up and makes the roaster he would be a good addition and a big target for the end zone. Even tho I like the kid if he cannot get the routes down then he will be gone and I hate to see hands like that go to waste.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,728 Times in 3,668 Posts

if we can take a flyer on and pick a gem like marques coulston in the 7th round, we do it. if he outpreforms, we kiss washington and young good bye regardless of any potential they havent lived up to.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #17
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if we can take a flyer on and pick a gem like marques coulston in the 7th round, we do it. if he outpreforms, we kiss washington and young good bye regardless of any potential they havent lived up to.
Doesnt that say it all?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #18
Stater136
Water Boy

Member Number: 2171

I don't disagree with the idea of drafting a big wr... in fact I'm very much in favor of it. The problem I have is with the suggestion that they grab someone in the early rounds. Setting aside the fact that the Steelers have bigger needs (LB, OL, and DB to name a few), there are two big reasons that I would wait until the second day before selecting a wr: 1) other than qb's and rb's, wr's are the biggest question mark in the draft (see Edwards, Troy ) and 2) the amount of money required to sign a first round pick would be better spent on someone other than the third wr.
Stater136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #19
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

I agree with everything you guys (and gals) are saying, but in the end I believe, IMHO, that the 1st round pick should be spent on a possible Power/3rd down Back....then work on Defense.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #20
slashsteel

Member Number:

I am all for a big WR, not sure about getting one in 1. I think we have other more pressing needs. But between 3 and 7 why not. It could create matchup problems and that is always a plus.