Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Angry Teachers Strikes

We just learned on the local Saturday evening news that my grandson's school district, Baldwin-Whitehall, will be striking at midnight tonight if a contract is not reached. I just listened to the news and it looks like they are going to walk. What are they seeking one might ask? Obviously money is an issue but their main gripe concerns health benefits - they don't want to have to contribute one dime to their benefits package to which I say - BULL PUCKIES. Most entities now require a contribution from their employees to help to pay for rising health insurance costs - why should these teachers expect to be held to a higher standard than the average Joe/Jane????

Believe me, I realize that most teachers are dedicated to their profession - I adore my grandson's teacher who I attended high school with. He's just as terrific a teacher as he is a person and my grandson absolutely loves him as most of his students and former students do. What I fail to grasp here is why the hell didn't they work on resolving these issues during the 3 month period of time they had off this past summer???? For every day these kids can't attend school, the school year will be extended a day, which is totally unfair imho. Not to mention the costs of babysitting for not only my daughter, but every other parent who works and cannot take time off from their jobs.

I told my daughter to get a receipt from her sitter for every day that she has to pay for child care and when the teachers return to work, figure out the total cost and send the Teachers Union 1/2 of the bill and the School District the other half. I also told her to encourage some of the other mothers she is friendly with to do the same and to alert the media to what they are doing and get it out there.

Story:

http://kdka.com/topstories/local_story_050110211.html

(KDKA) BALDWIN Classes won?t be in session this week for students in one local school district.

Teachers in the Baldwin-Whitehall School District are set to hit the picket lines tomorrow. They gave 48 hours notice to the School Board and Administration over the weekend.

"It'll be nice for the first couple of days. Then, I'm going to be bored,? says 16-year-old student, Lauren Ondo. ?I'll have nothing to do.?

For her father, Dave Ondo, there is another issue.

Ondo?s 14-year-old has autism, and he relies heavily on the regiment and structure of the school day.

Tomorrow could be a day of television and little else for Brett Ondo.

Dave says he understands the side of the teachers, who say they want a better salary, but when it comes to teachers refusing to pay anything for health benefits Ondo says he believes it's absurd.

"I work for a Fortune 500 company and I pay a tremendous amount for benefits,? he says. ?It's about time some of the unions including the teachers get a dose of reality with what's really happening in this world.?

The school year will now be extended each day the strike continues.

And as for Lauren, she says she's finishing up homework that's due for tomorrow.

She says she's ready to help out with her brothers, but there's only so much chatting on her cell, TV watching, and computer time she can take before she's thoroughly bored.

The superintendent of the school district says they have to submit a plan to the state board of education. They were going to do that today, but it's a holiday, so it has to wait until tomorrow.

She adds that the plan outlines how the administrators will teach the seniors so they can go ahead and graduate on time on June 5th. The rest of the district has 180-instructional days to get in by that same date.

Officials with the district say that's going to limit how long the teachers can actually strike to about two weeks.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Teachers Strikes

And that my friends.... is why I hate unions.

They destroyed any chance the companies had of pulling out of the hole in the 70's. Now, these other unions are destroying what little public trust people had in them.

I worked for one union. Thank God (Literally) I won't have to work for another. Union leadership is JUST as bad if not worse then management. Actually, what I have found is that union jobs usually have a lot WORSE pay and benefits then non-union jobs... if a person applies themselves.

and that is the key.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
Angry Re: Teachers Strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
And that my friends.... is why I hate unions.

They destroyed any chance the companies had of pulling out of the hole in the 70's. Now, these other unions are destroying what little public trust people had in them.

I worked for one union. Thank God (Literally) I won't have to work for another. Union leadership is JUST as bad if not worse then management. Actually, what I have found is that union jobs usually have a lot WORSE pay and benefits then non-union jobs... if a person applies themselves.

and that is the key.

BS! If it wasn't for Unions, these Non Union jobs wouldn't share some of the same benefits that we have. You can thank Unions for Health and safety, more days off paid. And training and health benefits. I work in a Union and darn glad I have one.

More BS:
Actually, what I have found is that union jobs usually have a lot WORSE pay and benefits then non-union jobs... if a person applies themselves.

Most construction companies have to pay a prevailing wage if they are non union. You can thank Unions for that to. And yopu can thank greedy Companies also for the 70's.

And Unions are made up and run by the peolple that are in them.

The teachers might be in the wrong, it stinks that they would do it now. But I'm sure that there will be some kinda compromise.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I have a strong opinion here.

GIVE THE TEACHERS WHAT THEY WANT.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Thank you lord that Hollidaysburg Area School District's School Board and Teachers Union live in perfect harmony.

Punxsatawney just had one. Now they're back in school.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

2005 Average Teacher's Salary figures

http://www.frteachers.org/Average-Teacher-Salary.htm

Baldwin-Whitehall $55,370

I still say give the teachers what they want.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:13 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
BS! If it wasn't for Unions, these Non Union jobs wouldn't share some of the same benefits that we have. You can thank Unions for Health and safety, more days off paid. And training and health benefits. I work in a Union and darn glad I have one.

More BS:
Actually, what I have found is that union jobs usually have a lot WORSE pay and benefits then non-union jobs... if a person applies themselves.

Most construction companies have to pay a prevailing wage if they are non union. You can thank Unions for that to. And yopu can thank greedy Companies also for the 70's.

The teachers might be in the wrong, it stinks that they would do it now. But I'm sure that there will be some kinda compromise.
Quote:
If it wasn't for Unions, these Non Union jobs wouldn't share some of the same benefits that we have. You can thank Unions for Health and safety,
Most of which was earned long before the 1970's. Which was part of my post. I have no problem with the unions of the early twentieth century. They were needed. Now, they are part of the problem in my opinion. Today, in the non-union jobs I have had, I was able to get good benefits, and they were FLEXIBLE with me. In the union.. Nope. Management could NOT be flexible, because the union would claim preferential treatement and demand it for EVERYONE. BTW.. The union was CWA.

Last union I was in, I went into the job and said, look, here is my experience, here is my education, here is my ability. I need this much money. They looked at me and said NOPE. Sorry. We have to pay union rules. The job before that... I was able to negotiate my OWN SALARY.

Furthermore, I sat there and watched the most despicable actions. People getting IN THE FACE of others and SCREAMING at them. People who should have been fired because they couldn't do the job, kept thier job for months if not a year or more because why??? The union wouldn't let them be fired. She wasted incoming calls that other sales people should have gotten... and made money with.

In non-union jobs, both would have been fired. Period. with good reason.

Quote:
And yopu can thank greedy Companies also for the 70's
There were many things that can be blamed in the seventies. I grant you that. However, when a company is losing its bottom line, it is not a smart time to go on strike. It is the exact same thing that is happening with the Airlines now.

Quote:
And management is made up by those who have put thier time and money into the company.

What I find real interesting, is the effect that unions have on the general public. The inflated wages of unions only serve to inflate EVERY product that is put out by them. The result? Products from non-union nations can come in and undercut the company, hurting all involved. When those products are homes... the homes are built for a cost that is much more then in non-union areas.

What I find interesting is that in most places were there are unions.. the cost of living is exponentially higher then the places were unions are not strong.. (either they have faltered, or they were never strong). For instance, in most of the west (Outside california, which is a entirely different economy), unions are very weak. The cost of living is also much lower. In the east coast, cost of living is very high... and most labor is done via union. Is there a connection? It would be interesting to find out. I for one think that union demands have now came full circle to hurt the people.

And after working for a union... being FORCED to join it... (which I beleive was VERY wrong), I swore to NEVER work for another union. It was the most poisened work place I have EVER worked in. Absolutely NO trust between management and worker. It really was a shame.

Last edited by Preacher; 02-20-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
2005 Average Teacher's Salary figures

http://www.frteachers.org/Average-Teacher-Salary.htm

Baldwin-Whitehall $55,370

I still say give the teachers what they want.
That is what I make a year... and I PAY FOR MY OWN INSURANCE, and retirement. Plus, I am in a place that is almost DOUBLE the cost of living. WOW...

That is a LOT of money.. plus benefits.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:01 AM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
This thread could turn ugly. Unions are one of those topics. .
It always could... However, I have seen Stlrs4Life post enough to know that he won't turn it ugly.. Just post the thoughts and let it be... which is why I answered his post. Cause I know i can have that kind of discussion with him.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 AM   #10
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

I live in Whitehall Borough. Look, I'm one of those people who doesn't think teachers are overpaid, but this is an absolute joke. You mean to tell me that they are actually on strike as I type this post because they don't want to do what the overwhelming majority of workers do - pay into their benefits? Well, they will get NO sympathy from me, not when I see over $300 a month deducted from my gross pay in pre-tax deductions to pay my share of my benefits. No free rides - pay up like the rest of us. It's a damn shame, because now the kids have to suffer for it, and the union doesn't care - as usual.