Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-24-2005, 07:16 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Angry Is this Porters last year w/ the Steelers

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?B...&PAG=461&rfi=9

Here is one writers perception..

The Steelers usually negotiate player contracts outside the glare of the media spotlight. Hines Ward has been one of the exceptions.
The four-time Pro Bowl receiver is trying to land a multi-year extension that will keep him with the Steelers for the rest of his career.

Ward even held out of training camp for 15 days to prove his point. But because the Steelers don't renegotiate with players who are under contract and not in camp, Ward came back.

Meanwhile nose tackle Casey Hampton quietly received a five-year, $22.75 million deal with a $6.975 million signing bonus without saying a word or making noise.

The Steelers feel the 2003 All-Pro is worth the money despite missing most of the 2004 season with a torn ACL.

The public wasn't aware of the Hampton talks - and that's how the Steelers like it.

Ward's new contract will get done before the start of the season amid much more fanfare and media attention.

He'll be sporting that trademark smile on the Heinz Field turf when the Steelers open the regular season against Tennessee.

And while the fans gear up for a possible run at the Super Bowl, the front office will be looking ahead to 2006. They'll say they aren't, but in today's NFL that's not possible.

Receiver Antwaan Randle El and defensive backs Deshea Townsend and Chris Hope will be unrestricted free agents. In recent years, the Steelers have made an effort to sign most of their "core" players such as Jerome Bettis, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings, Aaron Smith and Kimo von Oelhoffen.

Notice I didn't mention linebacker Joey Porter. Why? Because I think this is his last year in Pittsburgh.

Von Oelhoffen, Hartings and Bettis may all be gone from the team as well. Bettis likely will retire, while Hartings and von Oelhoffen are on the back side of 30 years old, which in today's NFL means salary cap casualty.

Porter is different. He'll be 29 when the 2006 season starts, which is considered to be the prime of his career, but he may not be worth the $5 million-plus the Steelers are paying him.

Two years ago, Porter was shot in the buttocks outside a Colorado sports bar. The incident was clearly not his fault, but he missed two games. In 14 games, Porter had 50 solo tackles and only five sacks - $1 million per sack.

The Steelers were one game away from the Super Bowl last season before losing to the Patriots and Porter was named to the Pro Bowl.

Yet he had just 53 tackles (36 solo), seven sacks and one interception in 2004. Four of those sacks came in the last 10 games of the season, including the playoffs. He had a three-sack game in a 34-20 win over New England on Oct. 31 and was ejected in Cleveland for getting into a pregame fight.

If you take away those two games, he had four sacks in the final 16 games.

I thought defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's scheme was supposed to help the linebackers.

In 12 of 17 starts, the 6-foot-3, 250-pounder didn't record a sack, and he makes too much money for those kinds of statistics.

Undrafted free agent James Harrison filled in for an injured Clark Haggans last year and did a good job. He's had a solid training camp this year and has solidified his position as the No. 3 outside linebacker.

Porter on the other hand injured his knee in practice Aug. 10 after celebrating a "sack" against rookie free-agent Ulish Booker. He had surgery the next day and vows to be ready for the start of the season.

The Steelers have options. They could draft an outside linebacker next spring or dip into the free agent market.

No matter what decision they make, Porter shouldn't be a part of it.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:19 PM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Default Re: Is this Porters last year w/ the Steelers

I whole heartedly disagree w/ this.... Porter is a major leader on this team..emotionally and talent wise. Our defense was #1 last year, and Porter was a big part of that, he may not always get the sack, but damn he gets all the double teams, so hence it frees up everyone else, including kimo, and aron smith as well. If he's not there, the double team will go somewhere else.

Where do people come up w/ this stuff!!! Now whether or not we can afford him when the time comes for his new contract is up for debate, but he certainly is a big part of our defense!!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
steelparrot
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 437

i agree with some things said. Porter has sliped a little in my book. In some games I remember him being basically invisible. When the game was over I would think to myself, "Did Joey even play today?" Don't get me wrong, he is a great leader, and I really do like him, but if hes just going to keep decreasing skill wise, I see no reason in keeping him. I like the rest of you would love to keep joey around but if he cant keep up, he has to go. In my mind this is a big year for joey. He really needs to get healthy and step it up.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

And keep this in mind too.. 2 years ago when he was shot, and came back to play, he didnt have the greatest season stat wise but he was still a force and drew alot of double teams to help free up Haggans & Gildon.

I'd like to see him in double digit sacks again, sure..but he makes alot of pressures, batted down passes, tackles in the backfield, etc...so even though u may not see him lighting up the stat charts every week.. know that he's there and if it werent for him, our defensive stats would be somewhat less spectacular than they are now.

Dont get me wrong, Im not saying he doesnt need to step up and he isnt the heart and soul of the team..but he is a huge part of it, and combined w/ players like Jerome, Hines, Ben, etc.. He's someone I'd just assume not be without anytime soon. :)
Old 08-24-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Joey is a huge leader on defense. I didn't realize this is his last season. I thought we just resigned him a couple of seasons ago. I think we will retain him. But next year we will be drafting a LB or 2.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

Member Number: 284

Its crazy to think a major leader and a locker room player like porter wouldn't be reisgned.He makes the tempo of our Defense, his numbers have went down yest but his numbers went down due to more talent on the defense.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
Joey is a huge leader on defense. I didn't realize this is his last season. I thought we just resigned him a couple of seasons ago. I think we will retain him. But next year we will be drafting a LB or 2.
It is not the last year of his contract.... the writer was just saying he thought it was his last year with the Steelers.

If he does not have a big year.... I could understand looking at all your options, and maybe going in a different direction.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:55 PM   #8
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Joey is signed thru the 2006 season, so look for them next to consider negotiating an extension that will allow him to retire a Steeler.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
SteelZeal
Water Boy

Member Number: 552

Joey is a very good player, and can sometimes be a great player, but like SteelParrot mentioned, he disappears at times. He can have two tremendous games followed by three games where you're not sure if he was on the field. But I'll take it anyway...those two games are worth it and we have other great LBs around to pick up the slack.

I think this writer certainly has a point, and if this is a possibility, a lot will depend on how Harrison performs this year when he gets on the field. We'll see. It's not a concern yet.
SteelZeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:34 AM   #10
Da Boot
Water Boy

Member Number: 513

I do think that he disappears a little to often but at the same time he can simply dominate games (such as the patriots regular season game last year). Also, last time I checked he had more sacks then any of the other linebackers on the team last season. And as already mentioned you cant replace his leadership on this team. I would definately keep him.