Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2005, 06:21 AM   #11
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect
 
SteelerSal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vine Grove Kentucky
Posts: 124
Gender: Male
Member Number: 467
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

This thread is titled, "Parker vs. Staley". Now I'm confused, how can they compete against each other when one always resembles,

This topic is a no brainer.

By the way, Parker sure showed off his speed last night. I can't remember the last time I couldn't wait to see a back get the ball. (Barry Foster maybe).

Last edited by SteelerSal; 08-21-2005 at 07:08 AM.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:06 AM   #12
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter
 
clevestinks's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 8,326
Member Number: 302
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

I`m almost ready to give up on Staley, NOW. Almost.

It is time for Parker to leap over Haynes and probably Staley, even if Staley were healthy.

Make Staley earn the starting job. Parker brings so much speed, the way we always throw screen passes to the big backs. I would love to see Faneca and co. out in front of Parker week after week.
__________________
<b>BLEEDING BLACK & GOLD IN OHIO</b>[
clevestinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:13 PM   #13
Prosdo
Banned
 
Prosdo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4,326
Gender: Female
Member Number: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

I think Parker can definitely skip over Verron. He has impressed me more than Verron.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #14
SteelProven
Draft Prospect
 
SteelProven's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Offut AFB, NE
Posts: 146
Gender: Male
Member Number: 394
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

I just not ready to concede the RB job to a 5'8 200 lb back. I've stated before he's to small. He may initially be able to handle the starting job but he'll break down by week 3 of the regualr season. Do you guys honestly believe W. Parker can carry the ball 25+ times a game for 16 games. I understand that there are a lot of backs in the league under 220lbs. But known of them play in a in between the tackles type of offense like the steelers. But only time will tell, right?
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #15
Prosdo
Banned
 
Prosdo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 4,326
Gender: Female
Member Number: 86
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

Right now I am not sure if he could be a starting back. I think he could definitely see more playing time. I do believe he can pass Verron Haynes on the depth chart. I think we will only know how well he would potentially do as a starter once he gets more carries, more often. Until then I think it is up in the air. Duce is a good back but that is when he is healthy. His injuries are becoming a problem and with Bettis getting older and nearing retirement. I do think during the next offseason we will pick up a runningback early on in the draft or possibly during free agency.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:38 PM   #16
SteelProven
Draft Prospect
 
SteelProven's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Offut AFB, NE
Posts: 146
Gender: Male
Member Number: 394
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosdo
Right now I am not sure if he could be a starting back. I think he could definitely see more playing time. I do believe he can pass Verron Haynes on the depth chart. I think we will only know how well he would potentially do as a starter once he gets more carries, more often. Until then I think it is up in the air. Duce is a good back but that is when he is healthy. His injuries are becoming a problem and with Bettis getting older and nearing retirement. I do think during the next offseason we will pick up a runningback early on in the draft or possibly during free agency.
I totally agree with this. I do think the Staley is to often injured to depend on him for an entire season. With Bettis coming to the end of a great career his carries should become decreasing less. I would love for the Steelers to incoporated Parker in the offense some times just for a change of pace.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:39 AM   #17
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter
 
ironcitychef's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,384
Gender: Male
Member Number: 109
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

While I like Parker, I would like hime to play 7 weeks so I can see how his body holds up. then I'll vote. But right now, I would say Parker is a better investment.
__________________
ironcitychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #18
rowedf
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 304
Member Number: 367
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelProven
I just not ready to concede the RB job to a 5'8 200 lb back. I've stated before he's to small. He may initially be able to handle the starting job but he'll break down by week 3 of the regualr season. Do you guys honestly believe W. Parker can carry the ball 25+ times a game for 16 games. I understand that there are a lot of backs in the league under 220lbs. But known of them play in a in between the tackles type of offense like the steelers. But only time will tell, right?
Try 5"10" and 210 lbs. I do NOT think that is too small to be a feature back. You guys love to jump on Duce for being injured so often, but he's big enough right? How has the helped keeping him healthy. There are plenty of backs that are Parkers size that DO run between the tackles but they aren't too small....Portis, Alexander, Tomlinson, to name a couple....all simialr in size. It's not just the size of a running back that makes them durable...its how they run. It's not fair to say he's unable to be a feature back until he's given the opportunity.
__________________
rowedf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #19
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect
 
SteelerSal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vine Grove Kentucky
Posts: 124
Gender: Male
Member Number: 467
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowedf
Try 5"10" and 210 lbs. I do NOT think that is too small to be a feature back. You guys love to jump on Duce for being injured so often, but he's big enough right? How has the helped keeping him healthy. There are plenty of backs that are Parkers size that DO run between the tackles but they aren't too small....Portis, Alexander, Tomlinson, to name a couple....all simialr in size. It's not just the size of a running back that makes them durable...its how they run. It's not fair to say he's unable to be a feature back until he's given the opportunity.


Just to back rowdf, here are some #'s

All feature backs listed...

P. Holmes 5'9" 213lbs
Tiki Barber 5'10" 200lbs
C.Portis 5'11" 205lbs
Julius Jones 5'9" 205lbs
Tomlinson 5'!0" 221lbs


Our future feature back....
Fast Willie 5'10" 209lbs

I really don't see a problem with his size and he's still a growing boy.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:57 PM   #20
SteelersWyo
Draft Prospect
 
SteelersWyo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Casper, Wy
Posts: 145
Member Number: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: Parker v. Staley

I'm glad to see everyone is coming around to my way of thinking on Parker. Boy I hate it when I'm right.
SteelersWyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts