Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #21
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 394
Default Re: Parker v. Staley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSal
Just to back rowdf, here are some #'s

All feature backs listed...

P. Holmes 5'9" 213lbs
Tiki Barber 5'10" 200lbs
C.Portis 5'11" 205lbs
Julius Jones 5'9" 205lbs
Tomlinson 5'!0" 221lbs

Our future feature back....
Fast Willie 5'10" 209lbs

I really don't see a problem with his size and he's still a growing boy.
All of the backs have missed a number of games becuz of injury. While playing in a less aggressive style offense.
SteelProven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #22
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelProven
All of the backs have missed a number of games becuz of injury. While playing in a less aggressive style offense.

What back hasn't? Every back has had thier share of injuries.

O.K. how about these bigger backs who get or got injured,

Chris Brown, E.James,M. Faulk, Stephen Davis, J.Lewis, Ty Wheatly, Ed George, shall I keep going?
Runningbacks in any system take a heck of a pounding on thier body.
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:00 PM   #23
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

I'm not saying that Parker can't start or that he's injury prone. I'm just a little apprehensive about possilby making him our featured back. So all the hoopla about I can name everyback in the league is foolish.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:28 PM   #24
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Something to remember too is.. our style of running is straight up the gut, right into the heart of the DL and LB's..our running plays are most successful when we run north and south. Parker is a change of pace RB, a guy who can break a game open on screens, swings, out in the flat etc...but our style of RB's the ones we use and have had for decades..the ones that are the most successful are the ones that run w/ power and can break tackles, the big boys if u will.

Im not saying willie won't be a big factor for us, he will..and we will need him alot...but dont look for the STeelers to ignore the RB spot when the time comes for Jerome to retire just becuz we have parker in the mix. Haynes isnt as big as Jerome but he can break tackles and run hard up the middle too.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:16 AM   #25
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Yeah I agree we still want that big back that can constantly take 35 carries plus a game. If the current squad can handle that then fine, but we are always looking for running backs.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 AM   #26
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Don't get me wrong I like Parker also I just question his ability to get 3rd and goal with the game on the line. Cause once we get down around the goal line he basically useless. IMO
Old 08-24-2005, 09:59 AM   #27
SteelersWyo
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 66

I agree with BlitzburghRockCity that our style is up the gut, but with Ben, Heath, Hines, Antoine, and Gibson maybe its time to go a different route. Still pound the ball up their *ss, but use more motion and spread formations. Wear'em down between the tackles then make them chase the lightning. What do you say?
SteelersWyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:43 AM   #28
Bamataco1
Water Boy

Member Number: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelProven
Defenses hit just as hard no matter what type of offense you are playing. Also Dud Staley and the Tubby Tail back have missed lots of games. So being bigger hasn't helped them at all. Nwo I'm not comparing Parker talent wise to these guys but size wise Enmmit Smith wasn't a big back nor was Walter Payton and both of them did a great job as the starters for thier teams. So a smaller guy can get the job done.

***thread edit'd by BRC for language..

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-24-2005 at 02:17 PM.
Bamataco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:45 AM   #29
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcitychef
Yeah I agree we still want that big back that can constantly take 35 carries plus a game. If the current squad can handle that then fine, but we are always looking for running backs.
No backs carry 35 times a game....on a regular basis. I do not think we need a work horse. A person made the comment earlier, remember Morris and Pegram, that worked awesome and took us to the super bowl. Why can't Parker be the Pegram? In 95' we didnt even have a 1,000 yard rusher, but had two running backs that complimented each other perfectly. Morris had 550+ yards and Peagram had 800+ yards, those aren't really gotty numbers. In the NFL you do not NEED one back to do all your work. I think a nice power back and a quick scat back makes a lethal combination and also saves wear and tear on both players.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:06 PM   #30
SteelProven
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamataco1
Defenses hit just as hard no matter what type of offense you are playing. Also Dud Staley and the Tubby Tail back have missed lots of games. So being bigger hasn't helped them at all. Nwo I'm not comparing Parker talent wise to these guys but size wise Enmmit Smith wasn't a big back nor was Walter Payton and both of them did a great job as the starters for thier teams. So a smaller guy can get the job done.

**** WTF? is this about. It has nothing to do with race dumb@$$. I wish I could reach through this screen and choke the life out you right now. ***** I'm African-American and I really don't appreciate the insult. Keep that racist $h!T to yourself next time. Who the faq's the moderator on this board is he racist too. To let some numb nut call people ******s.

**original post containing the offensive word has been changed,,,it appears to be a typo on Bamataco1's part, but I edit'd it just to be safe. ..BRC

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-24-2005 at 02:18 PM.