Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Thurman gets 90 days in jail

Quote:
Suspended Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman told a judge Wednesday he was driving drunk early on the morning of Sept. 25 when he was stopped at a DUI checkpoint in the East End.

He added that he struggles with alcoholism.

"I am here today to accept what I did," Thurman said. "I am in treatment, trying to get everything straightened out."

"Are you an alcoholic?" Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge John Burlew asked Thurman.
"Yes, I am," Thurman replied.

"I can't scare you into sobriety, I can't pray you into sobriety, I can't educate you into society," Burlew said. "You have to do it yourself."
Thurman, 23, pleaded no contest to a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

A related OVI charge and a charge of driving on the wrong side of the road were dismissed in exchange for the plea.

Burlew ordered Thurman to pay a $250 fine and spend 90 days in jail, but he delayed the sentence until June because Thurman is in alcohol treatment.
Burlew said he may reduce the jail sentence if Thurman continues treatment and has no other alcohol-related offenses when he returns to court June 5.

Burlew also suspended Thurman's driver's license for one year.

The judge told Thurman there was no special treatment because he was a celebrity.

Thurman was cited at 3:05 a.m. Sept. 25 after Cincinnati police stopped him on Kellogg Avenue in the East End. He was taken to a sobriety checkpoint, where he submitted to a breath test and registered a .18, a level more than twice the legal blood-alcohol limit of .08 in Ohio, according to Officer Chuck Beebe.

In court, Beebe praised Thurman for his cooperation. "He was noticeably impaired, but he was polite and cooperative," he said. "I have made hundreds, maybe thousands of OVI arrests, (and) a lot of people blame me for ruining their life.

"He lost a lot and never blamed me," Beebe said.

The NFL suspended Thurman for the season after the arrest because it was his third violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

"You've embarrassed the National Football League and the Bengals," Burlew told Thurman. "People are mad at you because you affected the team."

Burlew asked Thurman if he had a plan when he started out on the NFL.

"Yes, I did," Thurman said.

"How's that working out?" Burlew asked.

"Not too well right now," Thurman said.
....Pull your head out of the sand Marvin..even your players can see that THEY have a problem!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Thurman gets 90 days in jail

Good luck to Thurman - hopefully he can get his head straight on this issue - although leading the type of lifestyle a footballer does temptation is going to be there every day.

Marvin Lewis owes it to his team, and society in general, to stop burying his head in the sand (as LLT says) on this issue - he is supposed to be a role model for these young men - by excusing or belittling the impact of their destructive behavior he is cheating the player, the fans and the unfortunate general public who fall victim to their criminal actions.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I think the judge should have made an example of him! They do it every day to the common folk! Why not let one of the commoners off and let Thurman take the wrath!

(Why do I feel british today - using words like commoner?)

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
I think the judge should have made an example of him! They do it every day to the common folk! Why not let one of the commoners off and let Thurman take the wrath!

(Why do I feel british today - using words like commoner?)
We dont really use the word 'commoner' that often - although I did just have a cup of tea

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Just another Bengal story
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,168 Times in 432 Posts

"Burlew said he may reduce the jail sentence if Thurman continues treatment and has no other alcohol-related offenses when he returns to court June 5."

I sense another proverbial slap on the wrist coming....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Sports talk folks in ATL who have interviewed Thurman since his college days say he is a pleasant guy, but he has constantly been in trouble since his UGA days, which would fit the kind of conduct you would expect from a drunk.

It sounds like the last round-up for Thurman and his drinking; his days in Cincy are over and he either gets clean + stays that way or no other NFL team picks him up.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Cincy = a bunch of x cons and dont know how to keep there nose out of trouble. Every day it seems like someone from their team goes to jail

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by verks36 View Post
Cincy = a bunch of x cons and dont know how to keep there nose out of trouble. Every day it seems like someone from their team goes to jail
That's for sure.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 PM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,168 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
It sounds like the last round-up for Thurman and his drinking; his days in Cincy are over....
He's still on their roster, unlike Matthias Askew (who was a scrub). Just because Marvin Lewis says "he's no longer in the team's plans" doesn't really mean squat to me - this is the same Lewis who proclaimed towards the end of this past season that all the off the field extracurriculars weren't affecting the team, after all. I envision Thurman doing just enough to satisfy the judge assigned to his case to let him off with a suspended sentence, he applies for reinstatement with the NFL, the reinstatement is granted, and he's playing for them again next year.

Last edited by fansince'76; 02-27-2007 at 09:23 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote