Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-23-2007, 01:04 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Dillon released by Patriots

Looks like Dillon is calling it a day on an excellent career.

14th on the all time list of runners is a great achievement, especially seeing as alot of it was spent on a woeful Bengals team where he was the only real weapon on offense.

Quote:
‘‘I think more of my health, how I envision myself 5-10 years down the road,’’ Dillon said via cellphone from California. ‘‘I don’t want to be broken down, not able to play with my kids. I’ve been blessed and fortunate enough to play 10 years. I can get up and walk around and be comfortable. That’s one of the big determining factors.’’
Quote:
The 32-year-old Dillon believes he has nothing more to prove. In 10 seasons with the Bengals (1997-2003) and Patriots (2004-06), he totaled 11,241 rushing yards, 14th on the NFL’s all-time list. In 2004, he won the Super Bowl ring he coveted.
There is a slight chance he will 'retire' then play for another team, but I dont see it.

Quote:
Asked if he would suit up for another team, Dillon said he was ‘‘going to leave the window open, but it’s very slim.

‘‘Football is the furthest thing on my mind right now,’’ he said. ‘‘I may wake up and feel the itch and decide I still want to shake it, but as of now, I doubt that will happen.’’
Im glad he got his ring, and proved all those wrong who labelled him a malcontent cancer.

Props Corey and thanks

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...call_it_quits/

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,409 Posts
Default Re: Dillon to retire.

of course the boston media is gonna put a positive spin on "good guy" corey dillons impending "retirement", but the fact is he is a malcontent and always plays the retirement card when he doesnt get his way.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Quote:
His agent, however, said Dillon is keeping all options open.

"He'd love to stick around, if it's the right opportunity," Steve Feldman told the MetroWest Daily News. "Last season proved he's still got the pop and the burst to be a primary back."
that "right opportunity" could easilly be with teams like the texans, packers, lions, or browns. dillon is still a couple of years and a few thousand yards away from legitimate consideration for the hall of fame. he wont get that with the pats. maybe he has proven everything he has to prove (by winning a ring) but that 1 achievement of being in the hall of fame still calls. HOF and personal stats is more important to him than another ring at this point, just like cashing in was more important for edgerrin james.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
tony hipchest

the national media is painting a far different picture than the feel good spin the boston globe seems to have put on the story. dillons telling the pats hes concerned about his body 5-10 years down the road, yet shopping himself around for more carries? thats just lip service for a release. waiting to finally get cut could cost him several hundered thousand or more on his next deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2776090

Quote:
Dillon's agent, Steve Feldman, told ESPN.com's John Clayton on Friday that he will be talking to other teams about their interest in the veteran running back. Feldman said he and Dillon talked to Patriots coach Bill Belichick about Dillon's role in 2007 and how Dillon doesn't want to be a back getting only seven to 10 carries a game.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the national media is painting a far different picture than the feel good spin the boston globe seems to have put on the story. dillons telling the pats hes concerned about his body 5-10 years down the road, yet shopping himself around for more carries? thats just lip service for a release. waiting to finally get cut could cost him several hundered thousand or more on his next deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2776090
Well, the national media can't always be trusted. Look at the way they ridiculed the Steelers for hiring Tomlin, while anyone who actually knows something about football likes the hire.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Well, the national media can't always be trusted. Look at the way they ridiculed the Steelers for hiring Tomlin, while anyone who actually knows something about football likes the hire.
although this is a far cry from the tomlin hiring ( i havent seen "all the ridicule" you speak of) i'll take the national media over the boston media any day.

if there is a team out there willing to give him the bulk of the carries, dillon will be coming back.

add the jets to the list.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Dillon: I will retire; Agent: Not so fast
Story Tools:
Print Email Blog This
FOXSports.com
Posted: 8 hours ago

BOSTON (AP) - Corey Dillon, who is 14th on the NFL's career rushing list, will ask for his release from the New Englad Patriots. Exactly what he will do with that release remains a topic for debate.

Dillon on Thursday told the Boston Globe that he wanted his release so that he may retire.
"I think more of my health, how I envision myself 5-10 years down the road," Dillon told the Globe. "I don't want to be broken down, not able to play with my kids. I've been blessed and fortunate enough to play 10 years. I can get up and walk around and be comfortable. That's one of the big determining factors."

But Dillon's agent, Steve Feldman, said Friday that his client is unlikely to retire and will actually play for a different team next season.

"Corey does not have to play, but he still figures he's got a couple of years left as a premier performer and the Patriots have been kind enough to understand that," he said.

Those comments were in stark contrast to what Dillon told the Globe just a day earlier.

"There comes a time in your football career when you come to a conclusion and I'm at mine," he said. "I don't need to play."

Dillon, 32, is the top active runner in the NFL, with 11,241 career yards in seven seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals and three with the Patriots.

He still has three years remaining on his current contract and was scheduled to count $4.4 million against the salary cap in 2007.

In his first year with New England in 2004, after he was acquired from the Bengals for a second-round draft pick, Dillon ran for a regular-season franchise record 1,635 yards on 345 carries and helped the team beat the Philadelphia Eagles 24-21 in the Super Bowl.

His production dropped off the next two years. He had 733 yards on 209 carries 2005 while battling a high ankle sprain. Dillon had 812 yards on 199 carries last season when he split duties with rookie Laurence Maroney.

Feldman said that while Dillon is healthy, he knows Maroney is the future. "It's that if Corey were to stay, his carries would be limited, and Corey feels he has more to give."

In three years with the team, he ran for 3,180 yards and scored 39 touchdowns in 43 games. After not playing in a single playoff game in seven seasons in Cincinnati, he played in eight in three seasons with the Patriots.

"I gave them what they wanted, I didn't come in and steal money," Dillon told the Globe. "I felt like the money they spent was well earned."

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"

Last edited by Stlrs4Life; 02-23-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Interesting...I guess if you are injected with enough poison over time you become immune.

Dillon was the classic petulant malcontented child who pissed off enough people at one place to get a chance at another. Was he a talented RB in his prime? No doubt. Is he a "character guy"?

Please.

He's at the end of his rope, and he knows it. Retrospection always shines a kinder eye, and Dillon is firmly in focus here. Anyone really think that Corey Dillon is a model citizen? I think he had a leash that the Pats put him on and he obeyed out of financial obligation... winning helped.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Good luck to ya Ole' man
But this keeps comin' to my mind...
Once a Bungal.... Always a Bungal..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Sounds like he's getting out at the right time....he would have to play against the STEELERS this year!!!! ...

j/k LITP....

It's like w/ the Bus....the guy should not have to take 5 minutes to get up and down the stairs.... maybe Dillion saw the Jerome clip...

Hats off to Dillion
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: Dillon released by Patriots

Looks like Dillon has hit the free market and the Patriots got nothing for him.

Good luck to him as long as he doesnt end up with an AFCE rival.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote