Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Bills put McGahee on the trading block

This is interesting, McGahee is certainly a good back in a system that has struggled with QB/WR combo's to take the heat off him.

Teams that I think may entertain a trade would be the Texans, Jets, Browns and Green Bay - I wonder what the asking price would be - a 3rd or maybe a 2nd?

If a struggling team goes for him they are very unlikely to put their high 1st rounder on the table.

You would have to be worried about his attitude though - when I think Willis McGahee I remember him making that claim a year or two back that he was the best back in the NFL.

He's on the block so early, I think the Bills would let him go for a 3rd.

Quote:
Calling no player "untouchable," Buffalo Bills coach Dick Jauron said the team would consider trade offers for starting running back Willis McGahee.

"It's in our best interest to listen to everybody, and no people are untouchable," Jauron told The Associated Press at the NFL's annual scouting combine at Indianapolis. "He's a good back. He's our starting running back right now. It's no surprise to me at all that people are interested."

Asked specifically if McGahee is on the trading block, Jauron said: "Well, people talk. People talk in the league all the time."

It's unusual for trade discussions to be made public, or for a coach to acknowledge any talk that involves players -- particularly a player of McGahee's caliber. The three-year starter has one year left on his contract and had expressed interest in seeking an extension with Buffalo.

News that the Bills would shop McGahee first came up last weekend, when New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese expressed interest in the player as a potential replacement for Tiki Barber, who retired after last season.

"There is some Willis McGahee talk," Reese had said. "We'll investigate Willis, we'll investigate everybody with trade talk. We'll leave no stone unturned."

Reese's comments created a stir in Buffalo, where the Bills had previously sidestepped questions about McGahee's long-term status with the team.

McGahee was unavailable for comment and his phone number is not listed. His agent, Drew Rosenhaus, did not immediately return calls.

Buffalo's first-round pick out of Miami in 2003, McGahee is coming off a down season in which he finished with a career-low 990 yards rushing, but led the team with six touchdowns rushing in 14 starts.

In 2005, he had 1,247 yards rushing and five touchdowns in 15 starts. He established himself as the Bills starter in 2004 with 1,128 yards rushing and 13 touchdowns in 11 starts. That performance led the team to trade former starter Travis Henry to Tennessee the following summer.

McGahee sat out his rookie season recovering from major knee surgery.

The Bills have been disappointed in McGahee for conducting most of his offseason workouts in his native Miami, rather than traveling to the team's Orchard Park headquarters. McGahee also created a stir last month, when he was quoted in a magazine article suggesting the NFL consider moving the Bills to Toronto.

McGahee later released a statement saying his comments were taken out of context and that he would never suggest such a move.
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/10024364

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075
Default Re: Bills put McGahee on the trading block

I agree there is no way Buffalo will get a first rounder for him. But I also think Buffalo sees him as worth more than a third---they'll get a second, or perhaps a third plus a 4th or 5th rounder.

Cleveland would be a good fit---they need to upgrade at RB, and should not be taking a RB with the #3 pick.
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I see Cleveland giving up thier 2nd rounder for him and drafting Quinn with the #3 pick.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Considering they just drafted him with a first rounder a few years ago I see them demanding a number one for him.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,530 Times in 3,968 Posts

the giants are the team mainly interrested. this story has been going on for a few days and rumors that their new gm may have even tampered by commenting on it. well into the season last year, willis was saying the bills need to move to toronto because there is no nightlife in buffalo and nothing to do.

the going rate for acquiring rb's via trade isnt high. if no one coughed up even a 3rd rounder for alexander or james, they will be stupid to give up anything more than a 3rd for this malcontent. keep in mind willis thinks hes the best rb in the league and will want to be paid like it.

ny would be the perfect place for him. him and his "tha u" buddy shockey and plex can put all their efforts into partying it up during their yearly trip to miami for "work outs"
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Might be a good pick up for the Browns but I hope that it doesnt
happen...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i heard that the giants were very interested in him as well... but i think the browns should try to get a qb in the FA and just draft adrain peterson...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,530 Times in 3,968 Posts

it looks like the ravens may be making a serious push for him. in fact, the ravens have given jamal lewis a "take it or leave it" offer, that they expect an answer to today.

and as jamal lewis tries to land in cleveland (this would open up the 3rd pick to draft b. quinn) the ravens are clearing cap space for willis by cutting LG e. militalo to save 2 mil/year

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Quote:
OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Edwin Mulitalo, who started at left guard for the Baltimore Ravens for eight seasons, was released Wednesday.

Mulitalo, 32, was one of a handful of players remaining from the Ravens' Super Bowl championship squad of 2000. He was limited to a career-low four games in 2006 because of a torn triceps tendon that required surgery, and Jason Brown performed capably in his place.

Mulitalo said he hopes to keep playing. He was due $2 million in salary for 2007 and had a salary-cap figure of $2.85 million.

"When you release a player like Edwin, it gives you pause," Ravens coach Brian Billick said. "This is the cold side of the business. All he did was everything we asked him to do and more."
mcgahee to the ravens and lewis to the browns is an upgrade for both teams.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 03-07-2007 at 05:25 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:45 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Someone is bound to sign this Mulitalo aswell you would have thought - if ever there was a year to be an offensive lineman free agent.

Im thinking that the Redskins lost out to the Cowboys in the Leonard Davis tug-of-war - my money would be on them to make a move for him, as long as he is fully recovered from his injury.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote