Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default The guys on PTI have interesting BIG BEN conversation

Wanted to create a thread specific to the Tuesday evening PTI. Would love to hear opinions/feedback from those of you that saw it. For those of you that didnt.....all i can say is WOW!!!
I wish i had a transcript of what exactly was said, but here are the greatest hits:
- Brought up Ron Cook's article discussing Big Ben's work ethic
- Kornheiser praised Big Ben's demeanor and personality
- Then he stated that any member of the Pittsburgh media will tell you that Ben is a "total diva...a TOTAL diva"
- Wilbon pointed his frustration towards NFL teams in general, saying "the NFL is a funny thing...actually sad really, when a team that doesnt expect to lose has a bad year tehy start to play the blame game....they act like, 'hey we lost and shouldnt have so someone has got to pay"
- Kornheiser brought up the "last one on...first one off" blast
- He also added that with a new regime coming in, this is the last thing the steelers need because the end result of things like this usually are "he is the reason we lost and he's gotta go"
- They both agreed that Big Ben is the perfect QB for this team, this city, etc.

I agree that this is not good...I also agree that this is gonna make Tomlins transistion that much harder...I live near Browns town and believe me QB contraversies is maybe the most powerful virus in all of prfessional football.

I feel he is our QB...period. However, I firmly believe that it is impossible for a QB to be labeled a low effort guy with a bad work ethic.

What are your thoughts...I there any truth to him having a bad work ethic? How will/should Tomlin handle this? Is Ben being made the fall guy by his teammates privately and the media is relaying is publicly?

I dont like this at all.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231
Default Re: The guys on PTI have interesting BIG BEN conversation

I feel he is our QB...period. However, I firmly believe that it is impossible for a QB to be labeled a low effort guy with a bad work ethic.

I meant to say impossible to carry this label and remain successful
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Leave it to ESPN to blow shit out of proportion. What QB controversy? Ben is heads and tails above anybody else we have on the roster at the position.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I live in Ma. so I would like to get someone from the 'Burghs take on this. Is there any truth to the last in first out thing?

As far as Ben goes I believe, I think like everyone believes, that Ben is the best QB we've had in a looonngg time. That being said it's time to put your money were your mouth is and get started working out with your recievers and coaches to get better as you yourself stated at the end of last season. C'mon Ben prove all the critics wrong!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,390 Posts

Did not see PTI but as far as the "total diva" impression, I think a lot of that goes back to Cowher & Ben going back and forth on the extent of Ben's "injuries" (e.g. - "broken toes" after the AFC Championship loss) and his teammates thinking Ben is full of himself (e.g. - saying he was going to donate his playoff game salary to tsunami relief, after which Myron Cope said Ben was showing up his teammates and should have made such donation privately).

The NFL is like any other business - if what you do works then all is well but if it does not work then your behavior is flawed - that rule applies to the President of the U.S. on down, including NFL QBs.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
momper
Water Boy

Member Number: 1569

One of my friends' sister was dating Cedric Wilson for a little bit. I don't know if you guys remember, but he posted some pictures of them hanging out on this forum. Anyway, Cedric said Roethlisberger does have a terrible work ethic, and he thinks Ben rode the success of the running game / defense to his fame. He said that during weight workouts and practices that Ben would walk around goofing off instead of trying to work his hardest. I imagine it hard to believe that the steelers' staff would let him do this, but unless Cedric was lying I honestly do believe that Ben needs to step up his work ethic.
momper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by momper View Post
Anyway, Cedric said Roethlisberger does have a terrible work ethic, and he thinks Ben rode the success of the running game / defense to his fame.
Sorry, that doesn't explain what happened in the playoffs last year or why there was a 26-year gap between SB wins, because we have historically had a strong running game and defense (especially in the mid-90s). All of a sudden Ben shows up and in his 2nd year we win a SB. Coincidence? Think not, especially when we were stronger both in the running game and D in 1994-95 than we were last year.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,390 Posts

Cedric Wilson is not bashful about throwing stones if something does not please Cedric - he no doubt includes Ben among those who are responsible for Cedric not being All-Pro and not having 100 catches per year. If it was Hines Ward as the source that would be a different matter.

I do not think the running game and D are the only reasons Ben came up big in the Cincy, Indy & Denver playoff wins.

OTOH, Cook is getting his information from somewhere. Only in Pitsburgh would the lead sports story in late February be the work ethic of the QB, but I think the coaches and/or vets (Faneca/Ward?) are sending a message to Ben, with Cook being the messenger.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Everyone has different work habits, which makes them get their job done. I doubt anyone was complaining when we were winning all these games. Now, the team has a bad year and its dump on whoever we can. If being laid back works for him, so be it. Maybe wilson called him out b/c wilson could be jealous that ben was getting all the attention, but doesnt the qb get most of the attn anyway? IMO

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

i saw it and commented on it in another thread, about cooks article. they were pretty supportive of ben and kornheiser called him a diva in an almost tongue in cheek playfull way, not to be meant as an insult. it seemed they were using the word diva interchangably with superstar.

Quote:
the guys on pti just discussed this article and they think people are getting a little revisionist because of the poor year (they both agree whith whiz that ben came back too soon both times)-

"2 out of 3 years ben was great so he mustve worked SOME"
they pretty much downplayed the article and bens supposed lack of work ethic.

can i see ben clowning around in the weight room? sure. can i see ben not wanting to pump iron all the time like tom brady to bulk up? sure, he doesnt need too. if anyone remembers najeh 1st coming to the steelers think of him commenting how cowher didnt place #1 importance of hitting the weightroom and physical appearance as long as you were conditioneed and the job was getting done. you have some players who were workout warriors (joey, casey) then players like troy who do their own thing. then you have duce and jerome.

maybe tomlin forces players like troy and ben and all others to hit the weightroom all the same. changes like this could be a reason the rooneys decided not to keep the coaching in house.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote